My sweet Lola and potty issues!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
So as many of you know I am pregnant and having problems with taking Lola out when she needs to. I have started having contractions so they do not want me doing much, the problem is Lola has always been a ball of fire and pulls me all over when she is on her leash. She is 60lbs and hard to control. We have tried pulling on her back when she does it and that does not help then she tried to run dragging us. We have a harness and that doesn't seem to matter. We live on the second story at our apartment and she is dragging us down the stairs and its hard not to trip and fall. Once we do get finally get outside she doesn't notice shes on a leash so she tries to run like a wild animal all over then I try to stand my ground and all it ends up doing is hurting me. I do have Lucy but she is litter box trained and I bought a swimming pool that I filled with litter and put on out porch and that is working out great for her and us. I have tried getting Lola to use the litter box when its just me here and when my hubby is home he can take her out but she won't. I have tried the potty training spray and that didn't do anything. Does anyone have any idea how I can get her trained? I have looked into classes but there is no way I could handle trying to work with her an hour straight right now and I will be healing from a c-section and I won't be able to take her out at all so I really need to get this under control ASAP! Thank you!

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Tough situation it seems and unfortunately I have no idea how to help her to use the litter box short of watching Lucy do it. The only other thing I can think of for you at least until you have the baby and are healed up is if you have a close by friend or family member who can come over to walk Lola or possibly a dog walking service? Maybe somebody else has some insight on doggie litter training??

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ouch... This is tough. You have to really do what is best for you and babies. I think getting a dog walker is best as it seems Lola has too much energy and needs more than just potty training, she needs to work off some energy to settled down. I tagged a couple members that might be able to give advice from other angles.

good luck

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with Matt and Christine, a dog walker during the day, and hubby in the evening until baby comes, and until after you heal from the c section.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh Jenni, sending you big hugs, my dear. Right now, YOU don't need
this stress and certainly NOT putting you & baby in danger...no way, no how!
I know you love Lola BUT you stop taking her down those stairs, immediately.
Is the litter box on a back patio and secure? If so, I'd put her out there until
she goes then lavish praise. If not then put newspaper down in bathroom or
old towels and keep her in there until she goes potty or even use one of those
long plastic bins that is low and can store under beds and use that as litter box
in bathroom. I've had potty issues with both mine but your issue is much more
difficult because Lola's lunging behavior & refusal to stop it, dangerous to you
or anyone else, being drug down those stairs. I'd put shock collar on or prong
collar and get alpha with her but after you have baby & heal.

I had a C-section, a 10 lb baby, Hubby gone and no one to help. I did rip my
staples open, DON'T DO THAT!

Talk to your vet about putting her on a calming med just for the next couple
of months~not usually a fan of meds but they have their use, and see if it
helps. I agree with the others too, Lola seems to be a high energy bully and
does need exercise, a tired bully is a happy bully! Do you have a treadmill or
any of your neighbors have one you could use for her, short term? If not,
hire a teen to walk her.

Hopefully, I'll think of more stuff, you are in a dilemma for sure but Jenni, be
careful, you & baby come 1st , sending love, support & comfort, GOD bless!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I am going to try to get her to go in the litter box, not sure how but im going to work on it. When hubby is home he will take her out and she will love that but as far as me I am done. She has always been very busy and she really does need to have a yard but tell the baby is born we are stuck in our apartment. 2 months after Caleb gets here our lease is over and we want to find a duplex or something that will have a little yard. Hopefully I can get her to at least calm down even if she wont use the littler box. Also my husband said on wednesday nights he will take Lola to the classes but that is the only day he can do it so hopefully they have an opening that night. I will update tomorrow after working with her all day on the litter box and let everyone know if it worked.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I am going to try to get her to go in the litter box, not sure how but im going to work on it. When hubby is home he will take her out and she will love that but as far as me I am done. She has always been very busy and she really does need to have a yard but tell the baby is born we are stuck in our apartment. 2 months after Caleb gets here our lease is over and we want to find a duplex or something that will have a little yard. Hopefully I can get her to at least calm down even if she wont use the littler box. Also my husband said on wednesday nights he will take Lola to the classes but that is the only day he can do it so hopefully they have an opening that night. I will update tomorrow after working with her all day on the litter box and let everyone know if it worked.

Jenni, you might try Rescue Remedy, a natural calming formula.

It doesn't help much for some dogs but when it works, it really works.

As Lola seems to be needing more exercise, may not work but I'm
thinking it might take the edge off. Keeping all of you in prayer, when is
baby due?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Jenni, I'm so sorry... I have been in similar circumstances where my hubby was deployed & I was stuck at home w/medical issues!!! I would recommend to have someone come by to take her out for you, or get a trainer in the home to help you out. That last thing you need is getting pulled by a bully!!! A trainer would hopefully get her used to using a leash, and then when you take walks w/the baby you won't have to worry about her pulling you both all over the neighborhood. Winston learned heel in his puppy classes, and that has been wonderful for our walks!!! Good luck :D

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION]- I will be having a c-section Feb 28th. I am only half way done that is why they are watching my contractions because it is to early but so far no changes I just seem to get them through out the day but because they are not regular it is not labor. They are having me watch my activity right now because the more I do the more I get them so when I start getting them I have to lay down and take it easy and make sure Im drinking lots of water. I don't know of a dog walker but I might have to look into it! We have medication for her from a few months back for anxiety that I could try again but it makes her throw up if not taken with food.
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]-We took her to puppy classes when she was little and she got kicked out because she was out of control and causes the other puppies to act up so they suggested one on one training, the place that had the classes didn't do one on one so we would have to find a different place and haven't had much luck. Lola doesn't know she is a bulldog she thinks she is a jack russell! She jumps from one of my couches to another, she has chewed holes in my couch and totally chewed about my end table! When we try to stop her she either doesn't listen tell we physically pull her off the couch and then once we let go she is right back up on it chewing or if she decides to listen which is rare she will get down but goes and gets into something else. She really can't be left in a room alone even to go potty because she will tip over the trash or stand up and lick my dishes in the sink. She is about 60lbs now and is a taller girl she isn't tiny so she can get into think that Lucy can't. She is a handful that is for sure! I wish I knew of a trainer that would come to our house and work with her here!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Call your vet and ask if they know of any trainers that do home sessions.... our vet has a few listed in the office

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]-thank you! Thats a great idea! I am going to call today!

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Hi Jenny! I know an excellent trainer, his name is Ty Brown. He uses prong collars and shock collars just like Texas Carol suggested.

If you ever need a sitter, let me know!? I love bullies!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online