Introducing a Second Bulldog

withers1020

Oct 27, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Fred
I am thinking about getting a second bulldog. I would adopt a rescue bulldog just like I did with my Fred :) I have had Fred for almost a year now (he is 3 years old) and I am thinking about getting a second bulldog (a female who is 5 years old) so that he has a friend. What should I do to make this transition as smooth as possible for both dogs? Is there anything that I should worry about? I have not seen Fred ever show any aggression towards any other dogs.

Also, I do not crate train Fred (he's well behaved and perfectly trained without it) and the second bulldog is currently being crate trained in her foster home. Should I continue to crate train the second dog and then ween her off of it? I would love to have her eventually not use a crate.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hi and welcome to the forum!
How exciting and wonderful that you may be adding a 2nd bulldog to your family. When you do find your 2nd bulldog that you'll be adopting you may want to give her something of Fred's prior to bringing her home. Maybe a toy of his, or a blanket…something with his scent on it so that she will be able to "get to know him" prior to coming into her new home, and meeting him won't be too much of shock. In turn, if you could give Fred something of the 2nd bully's prior to bringing her home, that would be helpful too.

I don't have advice on the crate training question but I know others will be along soon to help out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Best you can do, if you have access to the new bulldog... take them on walks together on neutral ground. Get the pups to pack together and know you/hubby are leads/alpha. a few short walks and they will know they are a pack. When you get home... humans in the door first then, Fred, then new pup

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online