How to help our bulldog sleep through the night?

zeusinbrooklyn

Oct 26, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Hi all! We are new to the forum and (relatively) new bulldog owners. We adopted a 4 year old male English bully named Zeus in April. He came with no vet records or history -- apparently his previous owner just dumped him at the rescue, along with his mother and sister, and drove away! =(

We adore him and are ready to give him whatever care he needs. Although he's still adjusting a bit, he seems to really love us and we are totally in love with him. He's quite healthy overall, outside of a little skin infection recently (he's on antibiotics...our issue has been happening since we got him, not at the start of antibiotics).

The main problem we are having is at night. He used to sleep with his mom and sister, so we imagine this is contributing to the issue. We decided not to let him sleep in our bed and bought him a doggie bed which we put right next to ours. He in no way is isolated or goes to bed alone, we put him to bed every night when we go up to bed. (He's our little shadow.) Some nights that's fine, but most nights he wakes up multiple times -- generally right smack in the middle of the night! We'll get a 3am wake-up a 5am wake-up and, finally, the 7am when its all over. (Not so much worried about the 7am but sometimes you wanna sleep in on the weekends, ya know?)

He gets walked 3 times a day and has consistent access to our backyard. We pick up his water around 8:30-9 and head to bed before midnight

Sometimes when he wakes up he needs to go out to pee or poop, but often he's seemingly just attempting to get into bed. We usually take him out back, just incase he needs the bathroom bc we've also been battling an old habit of his - peeing on his bed. He's made big improvements in that area (now only doing it occasionally) & wears a belly band at night (vet said it was okay). The whole process can take 45 minutes or more and lately he has refused to settle back down into his bed and go to sleep. In desperation one of us has slept on the couch with him around 5am (even though we're giving him positive reinforcement that way). When he's on the couch with one of us he's as happy as he can be and sleeps forever.

Any advice for some sleepy bulldog owners on how we might help him sleep through the night? We're willing to try most things, but really want to keep him out of our bed (given his love for peeing on bedding and a desire to keep some mild boundary with him, haha)

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
I know when we first got Ollie, he was 16months, we tried him sleeping in our room on a bed, he was up and down all night long, we have a hallway that can be closed off to the living room and then of course all the bedroom doors, we don't have a crate so we decided to put him in the hallway with all the doors close, he sleep wonderful and so do we!! I would suggest maybe a crate, and if it doesn't work with it being in your room, move it out, i'm far from an expert but from past dogs it's always worked best at least with a crate! good luck!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The only thing that works for us is tiring him out. If he plays hard during the day, he sleeps through the night. Maybe take him to doggie daycare a few times a week? I promise you he'll sleep through the night if he gets enough exercise during the day. Not sure where you are in Brooklyn, but there's a few places in Williamsburg.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I feel your pain. I've been doing this with ruthie for years until I finally had enough. I decided to just keep telling her no, make her lay down, and keep telling her no when she would get up. I make sure to take her out right before bed and this has worked. It took about a week or two and she's got the point. I even tried reasoning with her lol. Good luck and I hope you find something that works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I forgot to add in that I also wear her out, walk and play until bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I wonder if it would be helpful if you put something that smelled like you into Zeus's bed with him at night? maybe a tee shirt that has your scent on it as that may bring him some comfort during the night. Might be worth a try.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Our Boeboe also has periods where she gets up in the night and wants to go out... usually she just sniffs around and it seems she gets up cos she's bored. She does sleep very well the nights when something different has happened, say somebody visited, she went somewhere with us or she played a lot with her friends (we have a bunch of dogs so sometimes they play like crazy). Maybe one of those brain teaser toys will tire him out mentally? Sounds like he gets his physical exercise:) I know how much it sucks getting up that time of night, know your not alone:blush2: but what don't you do for your lill furkids:heart:

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I'm probably of little help here but when I first got Rocco, he would cry in the crate when I left it in the bedroom with us. His crate has been in the kitchen ever since and he never has a problem sleeping through the night. And if he does wake up he doesn't make any noise. Until he hears one of us walking in there to let him out in the morning.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome4:Hi, and welcome to you and Zeus to EBN. You'll love this site. It's so sad how people can just dump off their pets, like they don't matter, so sad and heartless. :pouting: I don't understand why people like that ever get animals in the first place. Thank you for rescuing Zeus and giving him a furever and loving home. You have already got a lot of great advice, and suggestions from members. We also use a crate for our two guys, they go out for their last walk around 11:00 pm, their crates are downstairs, and they love their crates, they are used to it, and it is their safe place. We get up at 6:00 am, and they go out for their duties, and we feed them at 6:30 am. They are out of the crate all day, unless we have to go out, as this is safer for them. Dozer eats socks, and anything that isn't nailed down, and Blossom chews stuff, like electrical cords.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Do you think it's an issue of Zeus not sleeping through the night or an issue of him not being able to hold his pee and poo through the night? I know you mentioned that he was healthy for the most part but have you talked to your vet about him needing to be let out several times during the night?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.