Housebreaking

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
I was curious as to the age range when the pups finally "get it" to do their business outside. I know different factors attribute to this, but I basically take him out when it looks like he is sniffing around, and when its been a few hours, and praise him when he goes outside. Though he still relieves himself inside at his will. he is 10 weeks old and I was figuring around 3 months is the target age. What was your experiences?

Thanks.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
It took Ruthie a good 6 - 8 months to potty train, but she was a puppy mill/rescue dog. You are doing good by praising him when going outside. I used treats and when Ruthie would go, I would walk up while she was going and give her a treat. Good Luck! potty training is hard!

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Mayhem was fully trained, with no accidents by 4-1/2 or 5 months.......it was like a bell went off one day and he "got it". We used treats as well and have a bell on the door so he can "tell us" when he needs to go.

OP
S

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Ok so it seems a little longer than I expected. It is not overly frustrating as I understand he is after all just a puppy, but wanted an idea where people were seeing results.

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
From my experience bullies seem to take a little longer than some other breeds, but Spike will "get it" soon :)

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Rocco is 4.5 months old and I've had him for 2.5 months. He is improving, but by no means there yet.

Wow, 2.5 months....seems like so much longer!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They all vary, but keep in mind, they can only hold the bladder for 1 hour more than they are months old... 3 mths means only 4 hours. Schedule and routine is everything with potty training

B

Baxter Tiberius

I was curious as to the age range when the pups finally "get it" to do their business outside. I know different factors attribute to this, but I basically take him out when it looks like he is sniffing around, and when its been a few hours, and praise him when he goes outside. Though he still relieves himself inside at his will. he is 10 weeks old and I was figuring around 3 months is the target age. What was your experiences?

Thanks.

If you can search my posts and see the misery I endured (LOL) you'll know that I understand where you're at.
The only thing that worked (and it worked within 1 week of starting) was giving him blueberries when he pee'd at the correct location.
And a stern voice when he peed at the wrong location. Nothing more.
For awhile he will begin to expect a blueberry every time he pees at the right spot.
Eventually he will do it there without a blueberry.
This worked for me by the 16th week.
Pretty sure if I had started it sooner, he'd have gotten it sooner.
Disclaimer: This method was easier for me because the "correct location" was less than 20 feet away, on the balcony.
If you have to do a big walk to a grass spot somewhere, requiring a lot of preparation and a few minutes until arrival, Im not sure if it would work.
Though I imagine getting used to treats immediately after peeing outside would still work.

Expect a lot of messes, multiple times per day, until he trains you to figure out what works for him.

English bulldogs are terrible with change. So the more methodical and repetetive you can be about the process, the faster he will pick it up.
Meaning, once every half hour, or every hour while you're awake, take him to the spot to pee.
Even if he doesn't go. Take him there, and bring a blueberry (or whatever).
I had to do this for about a week or two.
Eventually it becomes about the treat. I even saw him fake a pee once so he could get the treat.
But he did it at the right spot, so he got the treat.

Last edited:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I truly believe that no dog is completely trained until at least a year. That is not saying that you can't have a pup that won't have an accident in the house at 4 months old! It is more likely that YOU are trained for subtle signals that indicate " I have to go". Bogey has not had an accident in the house since he was 4 months old( he is now a year) BUT, I never trusted him or set him up for failure, like leaving him to roam unsupervised. He was taken out consistently every 2-3 hours during the day, and crated at night. He NEVER went in the crate from day one! At 6 months we left the crate door open to an attached xpen to give him more room. After a couple of months, we took the crate down, and used the xpen to block off a large area of our LR. If I was home with him, I kept the bedroom does shut and he had free range of the rest of the house, but I never let him out of my sight. Now, we don't use the xpen or the crate and he is totally housebroken. The only way we know he has to go is he will circle the whole house then come stand in front of you like, " we'll, I have to go out now". We tried to get him to use the bells- he thought it was a great pull toy!! Good luck!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.