Help! Iv been researching but don't know who to trust

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Me and my gf have been non stop on the CPU and phone searching for a bulldog pup. Tryin to find breeders/pet stores that are reliable. I don't want a show bulldog that costs 4000.. I don't mind spending money. I just really want a loyal, cute and healthy bulldog. If anyone knows a trustworthy breeder in the ny tri state area it would be greatly appreciated. Preferably from the age of 8-12wks thank you all again

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
PLEASE do not buy from a pet store! No reputable breeder would sell their pups in a pet store and have no idea where there pups are going. Pet store pups are typically from puppy mills and those pups typically have lots of health problems! I suggest reading this English Bulldog News Puppy Buying Tips

Another great resource would be to contact the BCA, bulldog club of america. Good luck!

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
It is hard to know who you can trust, especially spending so much money and such high expecations for a great dog. I live in Buffalo area and work with one girl who breeds and then I have the breeder I bought Chester from. I know the breeder I bought Chester from will not ship, (she's in Clarence NY). And really, I don't think that's the way you want to get your baby anyway. But, if you want the 6-7 hour drive.. private message me.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
I agree with the previous posts. Also, I know puppies are cute, but have you considered adopting a rescue? lots of people have been surrendering their bulldogs because of the economy and other hardships. There are many sweet babies that need homes! If you don't want to spend 4k on a dog, rescue is also a very affordable alternative.

Another thing about $$$, do not buy a bulldog if you are worried about money. they are prone to many health issues and if you can't/don't want to pay for them up front, what are you gonna do when they get sick or need surgery as they age?

Good luck on your search, they are the best dogs on earth!

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
I have money, it's just I don't see the need to spend it on a show dog well all I want is a pet. I'd like to rescue one day, but as of now my gf and I are hooked on getting a pup. Thank you soo much anyway... I feel like there are no breeders in NYC or nj, they are all in Missouri or some place way too far away from me.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
there must be some breeders in your area. the problem with good breeders is they are pretty much word of mouth, so you really have to know about the breed to find your way to them. DO NOT trust people with nice websites, several litters a year, craigslist ads or newspaper ads. a responsible breeder will want to know where their dog is going to live, not just when your check is going to clear. I made the mistake of buying my first two bulls from someone with a cute website. i way overpaid and last i heard of her she was under investigation by our sheriffs department for puppy mill type operations.

You should find an akc show in your area and go visit with people showing bulldogs and french bulldogs, sometimes these people can be leery or stand offish, but for the most part they will be friendly and willing to give you breeder references. People that breed for the love of the breed and not solely for monetary gain are much more reasonable in price and are a good resource for any questions or tips you will need as you raise your bull. the BCA can be a great resource for references, but they are sluggish in returning emails.

Definitely consider lisa's offer on the breeder in clarence. 7 hours is a long drive, but it is worth it considering you're gonna have a best friend for the next 8-14 years.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think [MENTION=460]roanne9145[/MENTION] is from New York as well. You could send her a message.

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
I had the same issues. Trusting someone, especially when finding someone on the internet is so difficult. We did not have any local breeders and the one that was driving distance I just did not feel the "love". We thankfully, found someone in Missouri (we agree they are all in Missouri) and although we are not thrilled about it, he is being flown in (don't like to say shipped) Friday. She sent us flight confirmation today with the company's name that is handling all of it for her. She says she has done this before and have had no issues and has great references. I feel very comfortable with her and have communicated with her a lot over the past 2 weeks. I believe we will continue to communicate and have really become friends. If you want her information let me know i would love to send it as I know she has 2 beautiful girls left and they are 10 weeks this Thursday.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree with Tessa look at the bca listings and go with one they have on there. By calling and talking to some of those breeders they may be better able to direct you to one closer to home that you havent seen or heard of yet. Trust me thats how I came across my breeder and i am forever thankful. I didnt spend the 4000 by any means but my boy wasnt a cheapy and in the years of having him he thankfully hasnt cost any extra out of pocket since he was well bred. That is the diff you will find if you get one that didnt have the great genes you may be paying the price in vets bills later. Be very careful who you trust in this regards because we have seen to many people getting ripped off and scammed and it is just heartbreaking. I would consider even making the 6 hour drive if thats all you can find in a good breeder. Make a night of it at a hotel and bring back the pup the next day maybe. I would so do that if it was my only choice and I wanted a good pup. In the meantime ask any questions you may come up with and learn as much as you need to get ready for the new addition. We have a few members who are still awaiting their first bully but are already family here.

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
I'm going to look at a puppy tomorrow nearby. Elderly lady says he is the pic of the litter of course...wondering why they haven't been sold yet though. She said I can meet the mother, but she sold the dad as a stud just recently. I feel like I'm being pitched by a car salesman everyday. He is aka registered and comes the way a puppy should. He is 11wks and is paper trained already. I know myself and if I see the lil guy and nothing looks odd I'm going to take him home. What do you guys n gals think I should do? Any input is great thank u for so much already"

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
once you see him and hear his little whines you will be done for! lol! i just urge you to take your time.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I'm sure you will know YOUR pup when you see him. Nice you found one near by, take your time and be sure. It's so hard to pass up a cute pup, but I'm sure you'll make the right decision. How exciting! Let us know what you decide! GOOD LUCK!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
see if she can email you refrences and call them before you go see the puppy.. and see if there is a way you can see the dad or at least pics, she and the new owner should be willing to let you see him, if not then ask why... why did they sell him.... do both parents have any medical problems.... and ask to see where she is keeping the puppies and see if the place is clean!!!
if she says no to any of the 4 i would say no...if they do have medical problems make sure you know what they are so you can be aware for the future with the puppy... hope it goes smoothly tom

also take a checklist of what you want to ask and see, cause you know once you get there you will forget them lol....

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.