Puppy Teethnig and Watery Eyes

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Hello,
I found this forum and it seems very useful for any bulldog information I am seeking or just looking or opinions. So I have a couple questions that maybe some of you have experienced:

1) Puppy is 9 weeks old and always seems to have wetness in the wrinkle running from the inside corner of his eye downward. It is not staining, just seems to be wet quite a bit, and especially after he is chewing on his toys. I believe this is being caused by the teething process and making his eyes water. I clean these at least once a day with non scencted baby wipes/dry the area/apply cornstarch. I am feeding him the Blue Buffalo Freedom for Puppies food and he does not show any signs of allergies (that I can notice).

2) Lets get to breakfast/lunch/dinner! I have never seen an animal so intense when I put the food bowl down. He is literally like a vacuum when he eats and its a little concerning. He has not gotten sick yet from his style of chowing, just burps. Today he drank his water with intensity as well, that in fact did make him throw up. Anyone else experience this?

Before I go and change his food to a beef based puppy chow to see if the chicken is perhaps giving him allergies I wanted to see how common the eye watering was.

Thanks for the help!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome to EBN!

yes, teething and runny eyes go together. As does the drinking too much water and throwing up,

my girl is 8 yrs old and still eats/drinks this way. For food, you can try the slow feed stainless ball -- you can get them on Amazon. I add a little water to Banks food which does slow her a little ... Water I put ice cubes and she drinks around them.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Chewing and teething do case watery eyes, but it could also be from the chicken, some bullies just don't do well on chicken. Also do you keep his water available 24/7? If not, please do, as they need plenty of water.

OP
S

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Chewing and teething do case watery eyes, but it could also be from the chicken, some bullies just don't do well on chicken. Also do you keep his water available 24/7? If not, please do, as they need plenty of water.

I currently do not. when he is in his crate I do not put the water in it with him, but anytime he is not in the crate its free grabs. I feel if I put the water in the crate he will fill up on it and urinate everywhere

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I was pretty much in your boat....Rocco doesn't handle chicken well so he eats fromm beef frittata. Also, his eating was crazy and burping as well. I use the slow feed stainless ball as stated above and it has worked wonders!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=10124]SpikeS[/MENTION] that's not true, I raise pups all the time and always let them have all the water they want and they always potty train early. They need water to stay healthy. When they are young they can only hold their pee for so long anyway. Their little bladders are not that big, but the older they get the longer they can hold their pee. It goes by age, usually they can hold it an hour per month of age. If they are 4 months of age, then they can hold it 4 hours, and so one. That's probably why he drinks so much at once, he is thirsty. Here is a pic of the lick bottles we use on their crates, so they will not spill a bowl of water in their crates. They work well. You don't need to use this brand, it's just the only pic I could find.

Lixit bottle.jpg

Last edited:

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
I believe that all bullies have some sort of moisture in their wrinkles all the time we are always wiping out Loki's especially as his allergies flare up.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
I believe that all bullies have some sort of moisture in their wrinkles all the time we are always wiping out Loki's especially as his allergies flare up. We wipe his out with a dry cloth or tissue then we wipe them out at night with a cotton ball with witch hazel it help to keep them dry longer

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online