Sleeping and peeing

jcasey

Nov 26, 2010
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive
I am fostering a female bulldog around 3-we think. How much should she sleep? All she does is sleep. Is only active in the early morning, then sleeps all day. And she sleeps at night as well. She did get me up at 2 a.m. to go out, but that is only because she would not pee for 20 hours and she was taken out every 2 hours all day. How often do bulldogs need to pee. How long do they hold it? Crazy questions, but I have never had a dog that did not love to go out.

OP
J

jcasey

Nov 26, 2010
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive
Thanks, this is my first bulldog and she is 3 so not like I am raising a puppy. She is already set in her ways. We are just having a great time learning all we can about her.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
lex sleeps alot due to us having to work nites.. so he sleeps all nite and all day, plays when we are up and till we leave.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Thanks, this is my first bulldog and she is 3 so not like I am raising a puppy. She is already set in her ways. We are just having a great time learning all we can about her.

Absolutely, if you ever have any other questions feel free to ask. We are here to help. So you are fostering her until you find her forever home?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is 17 months old, he pee's 4-5 times a day, poops twice, He actually is still pretty active. He does get his fair share of sleeping in, but he is awake most of the evenings until we go to bed. He drinks A LOT of water, I think due to his allergy's drying his mouth out some, (but can drool like the best of them), lol, so I think that's why he pees alot.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I wouldn't worry too much. My Linus is 4 years old and if I go to bed at 11 PM and get up at 11 AM, he will still have to be coaxed out of his crate. They can hold it for a LONG time and can be very lazy doggies!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Jcasey............. we have a female that just turned 4. She is a couch potato and rarely goes out to pee/pee. You could have been describing Gracie when I read your post. We have to force her to go out most times. Is it ok? I dont have a clue.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Norman doesn't pee much either. Depends on how hot it is outside too and how much he's had to drink. I'd be more worried if she peed too much. That could mean UTI, kidney problems or diabetes.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Silva sleeps alot too! She plays for no more then a half hour and is out like a light! She pees 5 or so times a day, usually whenever we take her out!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes, absolutely it sounds like you have a typical bulldog over the age of 3!

I have one question tho, it is about what you are feeding. If your kibble is not of a very good quality, this could be why there seems to be no energy. Also if it has salt in it, it could absorb the fluids and cause them not to pee often, which could result in something more serious. If you feel for any moment something could be wrong- I would not hesitate to see a vet. Although bulldogs are lazy, if you are not fimiliar with them and their personalities you should probably make sure they are not being just lazy- could they be lethargic? Check to make sure she is not dehydrated by pinching her skin fold on her neck. It should flop back down easily. If it stands, she needs fluids.

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie

Welcome. I hope the fostering works well for both of you. Sounds like it is going good so far and it's nice to hear you are learning instead of trying to change her "ways"..or at least all of her ways some may need changing. Good luck!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I was ready a child's book to my little niece..it was about cats and dogs. One thing the book mentioned was........."all puppies and dogs sleep an average of 18 to 20 hours a day". So...the sleeping alot shouldn't be a problem...but I would look more into the pee thing.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.