Porkys not fat :)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I do agree with you that excess fat is not good for any animal: dogs, cats, humans.

However, weight and fat do not go hand and hand. My point was that some dogs are bigger or smaller framed. My EB is definitely bigger framed and at 15 wks is 32 lbs. he is not going to be a breed standard weight nor as a young puppy will I cut back his 3 cups of food because he is rapidly growing. Below is a picture of him at 30lbs

4e3u2uga.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If he's this big at 15 weeks, it's because you're feeding him 3 cups a day. Not because he's so pre-disposed to being huge. Just so you know, there two schools of thought on hip dysplasia. Some say genetic, others say environmental. Meaning,
they grow too fast as pups and the joints/sockets can't keep up. The latter is due to the type of food we feed, and how much.

I'm gonna be honest with you- I've seen the pics you've posted, he is adorable no doubt, but he looks chunky.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I think Porky is just right. He's very handsome.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Bulldogs have health issues that become worse the larger they are. This is not an opinion, it's a fact.
To say that an 80lb purebred bulldog is not overweight just because they don't look "fat", sounds like a false statement to me.
I am always worried about Sheldon because I know extra weight on anyone is a stress on joints and cartilage he is tall and weighs in at 60.8 pounds and he is two he doesn't get a lot of treats and what he does get I make I NEVER give him store bought treats anymore. Vet says he looks great that he is the best looking bully he has ever seen. Just wondering if I should feed him less he would be fine with it because he sometimes doesn't eat all his food as it is. I think I could feed him half a cup at night and he would be happy. I feed him about a cup and a half in the morning with a teaspoon of coconut oil or a couple squirts of salmon oil table spoon of lowfat non-flavored plain yogurt for lunch then his food at night which is generally a cup and a half but he only eats about half a cup of that. The cat finishes it during the night.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I am always worried about Sheldon because I know extra weight on anyone is a stress on joints and cartilage he is tall and weighs in at 60.8 pounds and he is two he doesn't get a lot of treats and what he does get I make I NEVER give him store bought treats anymore. Vet says he looks great that he is the best looking bully he has ever seen. Just wondering if I should feed him less he would be fine with it because he sometimes doesn't eat all his food as it is. I think I could feed him half a cup at night and he would be happy. I feed him about a cup and a half in the morning with a teaspoon of coconut oil or a couple squirts of salmon oil table spoon of lowfat non-flavored plain yogurt for lunch then his food at night which is generally a cup and a half but he only eats about half a cup of that. The cat finishes it during the night.

Personally, I don't think 60lbs is fat. Like [MENTION=4081]mcraven2[/MENTION] pointed out, you do need to take body shape into consideration.
I put Blue on a "diet" at 60lbs because he was 9 months old. He's 58lbs now at 10 months.

I'm talking more about the bulldogs that are 20-40lbs above the breed standard. Sorry, I just don't believe that those extra 20 pounds are all body shape.

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
You're right, we shouldn't base it solely on a standard, but I think should use it as a guideline.

Since we know they have health issues, and we know what those issues are, how can we, in good faith ignore that weight is a large contributor to many of these issues.

I'm not coming down on anyone. I know how quick these guys put on weight, and they don't even look fat most of the time. But the truth is that with this breed, being "large" puts a strain on their bodies. Being on the thinner side is just much easier on them.

My issue with the whole weight thing is this to "try" to get porky down to a "breed standard" weight I had to practically starve her she was getting 1/2 cup of food at night 3/4 cup in the morning n 1 PB cookie when I got home from work n literally nothing else she had no energy she started having accidents bcuz she was to weak at times to walk i could feel her bones when i touched her n she still weighed in at 52 lbs I spent a lot of $$ at my vets crying begging them to help me get her weight down they told me she was healthy at 60 lbs just not to let her go over 60!!! Now she gets 3/4 cup in the morning 3/4 cup at night a cookie when I leave for work n on her grooming nights she gets a cheese stick!! If u do a calorie count I prolly am starving her!!! I made the decision a while ago I want a healthy happy dog not a "typical" looking bulldog!!! Considering she can run around outside for literally an hour without getting to out of breath I assume she has no issues breathing, she can jump from the middle of the driveway up into the pickup truck I assume she doesn't have joint or hip issues (sometimes I think she's a cat lol)

On a side note I posted this bcuz some ppl know the issues I've had with her weight n as I stated I was practically starving her n she was very unhealthy but still "fat" according to breed standards I don't make excuses for my girl if she winds up overweight it's my fault but she's not overweight she's very healthy she's tall broad big boned n a beautiful girl at 60 lbs

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Personally, I don't think 60lbs is fat. Like [MENTION=4081]mcraven2[/MENTION] pointed out, you do need to take body shape into consideration.
I put Blue on a "diet" at 60lbs because he was 9 months old. He's 58lbs now at 10 months.

I'm talking more about the bulldogs that are 20-40lbs above the breed standard. Sorry, I just don't believe that those extra 20 pounds are all body shape.

I just worry because I don't want him to have the problems I read about on here of course my kids make sure he stays exercised LOL they are always playing I'm a worry wart

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I couldnt help it but i agree in what blueberry's mum is saying - i know that there are many dogs who are nice and trim -read with great waistline , that are weighing over the breed standard and thats ok as bulldogs do come in all shapes and sizes
but i do believe that breed standard was created for a reason - to breed for bettering the breed , possibly reduce health issues - i had a conversation with a vet who said that there are so many bulldogs and other "short muzzled " dogs that get their faces shorter and shorter ,nose folds covering most of the nostrils etc
Cut a long storry short - i think because the way bulldog is build it is hard to see when they are getting a bit too chunky- i learned my lesson with shy -she did look to me like she had a waistline ,but i couldn't easily feel her ribs -and when dog is in good condition you should ,and she had to lose 8kg i thought my vet is nuts -but when she did lose- she looked fantastic and her waistline was more defined ?ok shes a mix breed but still )

Im not a breeder , or know the breed for 20 years or so -this is only my personal observation

Ps not sure id Porky is a chunky monkey as i cant feel his ribs ,besides hes still a pup ;-) a cute one indeed

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I saved this picture because it's important to be able to define the differences between fat and skinny. The only way to truly be able to tell if the weight is good is by looking down from above. They should have a clearly defined waist line. If not and the line is practically straight or bowed out from shoulder to butt there is a weight issue. Can you post pictures from above of Porky like this ? Not a bulldog in this pic, but the idea is the same.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382366353.941269.jpg

In a young pup this doesn't really apply, because they still have a lot of baby fat, but after about 6 months of age is when you need to make needed adjustments.

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I saved this picture because it's important to be able to define the differences between fat and skinny. The only way to truly be able to tell if the weight is good is by looking down from above. They should have a clearly defined waist line. If not and the line is practically straight or bowed out from shoulder to butt there is a weight issue. Can you post pictures from above of Porky like this ? Not a bulldog in this pic, but the idea is the same.

View attachment 58550

In a young pup this doesn't really apply, because they still have a lot of baby fat, but after about 6 months of age is when you need to make needed adjustments.

When she wakes back up I will :) she's napping right now the leaves tired her out!!
zuzegesu.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
When she wakes back up I will :) she's napping right now the leaves tired her out!!
zuzegesu.jpg

Awe! I can tell her bone size is pretty big even sleeping. Tell her its Monday, time to wake up lol

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
There is also side pic with a bit of "what to look for"
-one thing that purina did right lol
ja7e8une.jpg

SugarBuggerBear

Apr 12, 2013
Hinesville, Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sugar
I have a 5 year old white female named Sugar who weighs 50lbs. She eats 1 cup of dog food a day in the evening. It is the Royal Canin hypoallergenic. She is allergic to everything. LOL She is very healthy. Her problem is she doesn't move off the sectional all day while I work. Pork is beautiful and healthy looking.

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Awe! I can tell her bone size is pretty big even sleeping. Tell her its Monday, time to wake up lol

That was her mid morning nap :) she spent from 7-9 playing in the leaves (I think she thinks they r trying to get her) anyways here's the best pic I can get lol even at 52 lbs her waist wasn't much more prominent which I really don't get
6y6ura7a.jpg

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
That was her mid morning nap :) she spent from 7-9 playing in the leaves (I think she thinks they r trying to get her) anyways here's the best pic I can get lol even at 52 lbs her waist wasn't much more prominent which I really don't get
6y6ura7a.jpg

Porky is one of my favorite girl bullies here. I adore her face and always love seeing you post pics.
But, she does look a bit chunky in the pic. No less beautiful, just a little chunky.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.