Porkys not fat :)

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Lol ok ok maybe a bit chunky ;) I talked to her breeder about possibly getting another pup n she asked for photos of porky so I sent a ton!!!! She asked what n how much I feed so I listed from morning to bed time what she eats n then added I know she's fat :( idk what else to do!!! She then sent me photos of all her breeding bullies n some of Porkys siblings n my jaw dropped!!!! They r hugeeeeee not fat but so stocky n muscular porky looks so tiny in comparison!!!!!!
evyrebem.jpg
that is her brother :) it's not the best picture but you can tell he's rather stocky n these r 2 potential fathers to our future puppy :) Tate and Flynn
metygabe.jpg
zyqasyru.jpg
she reassured me she has never had a bulldog under 50 lbs n none of them are unhealthy or fat they are just bigger so I am a bit relieved that most of her dogs r bigger :) lol

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Great looking bullies, thank you for sharing these!

Cami & I send loving hugs to you & Porky...we are struggling with
extra poundage too, my fault as I wasn't paying attention and Cami
weighs 70 lbs. She's a big framed bully (why she was a breeder) and
came here at 67 lbs, got her to 63lbs then got off track. Bullies gain so
quickly too! So, we're cutting back on portions (I started feeding too
much w/out realizing) no snacks and now cooling down so will start
short walks. All slowly, nothing drastic :) GOD bless y'all!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I hear you! Dudley's father was a massive bulldog -- huge head, huge chest, tall, and weighed 90 pounds. His mother was smaller, but still big and rather tall. Dudley weighs about 80 lbs. I'd like to get him down to 70-75. We are watching treats and like Carol, we can walk again, now that it is cooler!

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
these post make me feel better.......Forde weighs in now at 70 lbs. and he's not fat...hes just a larger bulldog......each time we visit the vet they comment about how he needs to lose weight and that bulldogs should be 60 lbs.....:)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm sure I won't be liked much after this post but this needs to be said.

According to the breed standard, "Size -- The size for mature dogs is about 50 pounds; for mature bitches about 40 pounds." This is directly from the Bulldog Club of America.
I believe the British standards allow more weight, but neither club would say that 70-90lbs is within any normal range.

Bulldogs are considered medium sized, not large. They should not be breed that big either as their physiology really doesn't allow for it.
Remember, they have breathing problems as well as hip and knee issues that get worse the larger they are. A 70lb bulldog will have less stamina and more difficulty breathing than a 55 pound bullie.
The larger they get, the more prone they are to tissue related injuries as well.

Blue was over 60lbs at 9 months. I cut his food by half a cup a day and cut out most treats. He's down to 58 now and I'm watching his weight like a hawk

I don't care how "large" (read fatish) his mom and dad are, that's like saying "I'm not fat, i'm big boned" please, it's an excuse and nothing more.
You can totally control your bulldogs weight (within reason of course) and as a responsible dog owner that wants the best for their pups, which I know everyone here does, you should!!

Ok, off my podium.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
oops, meant to add this to the above post but forgot.
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?12867-Vegas-stew-anyone

I saved the above thread a long time ago when I did a search on recipes. I knew at the time that Blue was getting a little too big, but when he hit 60lbs, I started using the recipe.
Thank you [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] Blue eats it as if it's his last meal...lol

Anyone who has a pup who's weight is way above the breed standard, should consider this recipe.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
While I do agree that too much extra poundage is rough on a bully with their breathing and joints, I also think that a lot of our dogs are no where near the breed standard. I know Tank isn't. In fact, we are pretty sure he is mixed with Olde English as well. So if I tried to get him down to the breed standard weight...he would be malnourished.

I just wanted to point that out...the vets probably know best when it comes to weight, as we have bulldogs coming from all different backgrounds, we aren't all purebred and standard here :)

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Great pics! They look great, not too fat or unhealthy at all.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] I will kindly disagree with basing weights on breed standards. Every dog is different and some are not meant to be shown and go against breed standards.

Some might just be too small (ie small frame) so in turn that doesn't mean that we should feed them more to make them up to breed standards.

I had a Dalmatian years ago and he was beyond huge - very tall and weighed close to 80 lbs (max by standard is 65) by no means was he fat.

Right now my Boston terrier/French bull dog mix weighs 50 lbs (both breeds at max should weigh 30 lbs). He is by no means fat. We met his parents and also had him DNA tested because he turned out to be twice the size of his parents.

Each dog is different and I really feel weigh should be judged by the shape of the body rather than what the scale says. Here are pictures of the dogs I mentioned. Neither fat, just oversized

yveqyju4.jpg

ugyjebuq.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgMy two guys are 21 months old, and they weigh 45 lbs each. I don't think they look fat, but my vet says she would like them to be more around 40 lbs. she says it's better for their joints, breathing, and general health as they get older. We currently feed them 1 cup of kibble in the am, and 1 cup of kibble in the pm. The vet suggested we feed them 1 cup in the am, and 3/4 of a cup in the pm. We take bulldozer and Blossom for a walk in the morning, or we take them down to the park at the river, and let them run for 15 or 20 mins. During the day they just go out for potty breaks about every 4 or 5 hours, and then in the evening we go on a walk around the block after dinner.

Last edited:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
While I do agree that too much extra poundage is rough on a bully with their breathing and joints, I also think that a lot of our dogs are no where near the breed standard. I know Tank isn't. In fact, we are pretty sure he is mixed with Olde English as well. So if I tried to get him down to the breed standard weight...he would be malnourished.

I just wanted to point that out...the vets probably know best when it comes to weight, as we have bulldogs coming from all different backgrounds, we aren't all purebred and standard here :)

You're absolutely right, and the weight standards are even different between various nation clubs.
But, they're not huge differences, and I guess what upsets me is a breeder that may say "80lbs is fine". That's just not responsible breeding to me.

I guess I should have prefaced my post with: "this only applies for purebred bulldogs", as I really have no idea about the pups that are mixed.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@Blueberrys Mom I will kindly disagree with basing weights on breed standards. Every dog is different and some are not meant to be shown and go against breed standards.

Some might just be too small (ie small frame) so in turn that doesn't mean that we should feed them more to make them up to breed standards.

I had a Dalmatian years ago and he was beyond huge - very tall and weighed close to 80 lbs (max by standard is 65) by no means was he fat.

Right now my Boston terrier/French bull dog mix weighs 50 lbs (both breeds at max should weigh 30 lbs). He is by no means fat. We met his parents and also had him DNA tested because he turned out to be twice the size of his parents.

Each dog is different and I really feel weigh should be judged by the shape of the body rather than what the scale says. Here are pictures of the dogs I mentioned. Neither fat, just oversized

yveqyju4.jpg

ugyjebuq.jpg

Bulldogs have health issues that become worse the larger they are. This is not an opinion, it's a fact.
To say that an 80lb purebred bulldog is not overweight just because they don't look "fat", sounds like a false statement to me.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
My 2 EB's are completely different in every way when it comes to body shape. Princess is very short (only about an inch taller than my frenchie) and she is very wide in the chest area, when we adopted her we knew she was overweight but it has been hard getting her to loose the weight because 1) she's 10 and 2) while she was getting treated for heartworms we had to keep her calm for 3 months (no walks at all). She should probably weigh about 42lbs but she weighs 53lbs. Now my male on the other hand is tall, and I get compliments all the time on how he looks. Whenever I take him for his daily off leash walk to play with other dogs people can't believe that he actually runs and chases other dogs, people tell me they've never seen a bulldog run the way he does and they've never seen such a lean and muscular bulldog. But the thing is he weighs about 60lbs, and our vet thinks he looks great. So even though my female weighs less than my male, she is the one who is overweight and my male is at his ideal weight; so it really does depend on each bulldog
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] I do agree that extra weight isn't great for bulldogs, but I don't think people should base it from the standard :)

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Bulldogs have health issues that become worse the larger they are. This is not an opinion, it's a fact.
To say that an 80lb purebred bulldog is not overweight just because they don't look "fat", sounds like a false statement to me.

I do agree with you that excess fat is not good for any animal: dogs, cats, humans.

However, weight and fat do not go hand and hand. My point was that some dogs are bigger or smaller framed. My EB is definitely bigger framed and at 15 wks is 32 lbs. he is not going to be a breed standard weight nor as a young puppy will I cut back his 3 cups of food because he is rapidly growing. Below is a picture of him at 30lbs

I apologize if I sound like I'm being difficult, just a different opinion

4e3u2uga.jpg

Last edited:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
You're right, we shouldn't base it solely on a standard, but I think should use it as a guideline.

Since we know they have health issues, and we know what those issues are, how can we, in good faith ignore that weight is a large contributor to many of these issues.

I'm not coming down on anyone. I know how quick these guys put on weight, and they don't even look fat most of the time. But the truth is that with this breed, being "large" puts a strain on their bodies. Being on the thinner side is just much easier on them.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.