Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Porkys not fat :)

My 2 EB's are completely different in every way when it comes to body shape. Princess is very short (only about an inch taller than my frenchie) and she is very wide in the chest area, when we adopted her we knew she was overweight but it has been hard getting her to loose the weight because 1) she's 10 and 2) while she was getting treated for heartworms we had to keep her calm for 3 months (no walks at all). She should probably weigh about 42lbs but she weighs 53lbs. Now my male on the other hand is tall, and I get compliments all the time on how he looks. Whenever I take him for his daily off leash walk to play with other dogs people can't believe that he actually runs and chases other dogs, people tell me they've never seen a bulldog run the way he does and they've never seen such a lean and muscular bulldog. But the thing is he weighs about 60lbs, and our vet thinks he looks great. So even though my female weighs less than my male, she is the one who is overweight and my male is at his ideal weight; so it really does depend on each bulldog
    @Blueberrys Mom I do agree that extra weight isn't great for bulldogs, but I don't think people should base it from the standard
    Princess, Diva, and Gio <3

Real Name
    Nu
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Curly
    Likes (Received)

Default Porkys not fat :)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberrys Mom View Post
    Bulldogs have health issues that become worse the larger they are. This is not an opinion, it's a fact.
    To say that an 80lb purebred bulldog is not overweight just because they don't look "fat", sounds like a false statement to me.
    I do agree with you that excess fat is not good for any animal: dogs, cats, humans.

However, weight and fat do not go hand and hand. My point was that some dogs are bigger or smaller framed. My EB is definitely bigger framed and at 15 wks is 32 lbs. he is not going to be a breed standard weight nor as a young puppy will I cut back his 3 cups of food because he is rapidly growing. Below is a picture of him at 30lbs

I apologize if I sound like I'm being difficult, just a different opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by nubonics; 10-21-2013 at 10:05 AM.
    check us out on Instagram: nu__berry (that's two under scrolls)

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

You're right, we shouldn't base it solely on a standard, but I think should use it as a guideline.

Since we know they have health issues, and we know what those issues are, how can we, in good faith ignore that weight is a large contributor to many of these issues.

I'm not coming down on anyone. I know how quick these guys put on weight, and they don't even look fat most of the time. But the truth is that with this breed, being "large" puts a strain on their bodies. Being on the thinner side is just much easier on them.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nubonics View Post
    I do agree with you that excess fat is not good for any animal: dogs, cats, humans.

However, weight and fat do not go hand and hand. My point was that some dogs are bigger or smaller framed. My EB is definitely bigger framed and at 15 wks is 32 lbs. he is not going to be a breed standard weight nor as a young puppy will I cut back his 3 cups of food because he is rapidly growing. Below is a picture of him at 30lbs

If he's this big at 15 weeks, it's because you're feeding him 3 cups a day. Not because he's so pre-disposed to being huge. Just so you know, there two schools of thought on hip dysplasia. Some say genetic, others say environmental. Meaning,
    they grow too fast as pups and the joints/sockets can't keep up. The latter is due to the type of food we feed, and how much.

I'm gonna be honest with you- I've seen the pics you've posted, he is adorable no doubt, but he looks chunky.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)

I think Porky is just right. He's very handsome.

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Bulldogs have health issues that become worse the larger they are. This is not an opinion, it's a fact.
    To say that an 80lb purebred bulldog is not overweight just because they don't look "fat", sounds like a false statement to me.
    I am always worried about Sheldon because I know extra weight on anyone is a stress on joints and cartilage he is tall and weighs in at 60.8 pounds and he is two he doesn't get a lot of treats and what he does get I make I NEVER give him store bought treats anymore. Vet says he looks great that he is the best looking bully he has ever seen. Just wondering if I should feed him less he would be fine with it because he sometimes doesn't eat all his food as it is. I think I could feed him half a cup at night and he would be happy. I feed him about a cup and a half in the morning with a teaspoon of coconut oil or a couple squirts of salmon oil table spoon of lowfat non-flavored plain yogurt for lunch then his food at night which is generally a cup and a half but he only eats about half a cup of that. The cat finishes it during the night.

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Clark View Post
    I am always worried about Sheldon because I know extra weight on anyone is a stress on joints and cartilage he is tall and weighs in at 60.8 pounds and he is two he doesn't get a lot of treats and what he does get I make I NEVER give him store bought treats anymore. Vet says he looks great that he is the best looking bully he has ever seen. Just wondering if I should feed him less he would be fine with it because he sometimes doesn't eat all his food as it is. I think I could feed him half a cup at night and he would be happy. I feed him about a cup and a half in the morning with a teaspoon of coconut oil or a couple squirts of salmon oil table spoon of lowfat non-flavored plain yogurt for lunch then his food at night which is generally a cup and a half but he only eats about half a cup of that. The cat finishes it during the night.
    Personally, I don't think 60lbs is fat. Like @mcraven2 pointed out, you do need to take body shape into consideration.
    I put Blue on a "diet" at 60lbs because he was 9 months old. He's 58lbs now at 10 months.

I'm talking more about the bulldogs that are 20-40lbs above the breed standard. Sorry, I just don't believe that those extra 20 pounds are all body shape.

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

You're right, we shouldn't base it solely on a standard, but I think should use it as a guideline.

Since we know they have health issues, and we know what those issues are, how can we, in good faith ignore that weight is a large contributor to many of these issues.

I'm not coming down on anyone. I know how quick these guys put on weight, and they don't even look fat most of the time. But the truth is that with this breed, being "large" puts a strain on their bodies. Being on the thinner side is just much easier on them.
    My issue with the whole weight thing is this to "try" to get porky down to a "breed standard" weight I had to practically starve her she was getting 1/2 cup of food at night 3/4 cup in the morning n 1 PB cookie when I got home from work n literally nothing else she had no energy she started having accidents bcuz she was to weak at times to walk i could feel her bones when i touched her n she still weighed in at 52 lbs I spent a lot of $$ at my vets crying begging them to help me get her weight down they told me she was healthy at 60 lbs just not to let her go over 60!!! Now she gets 3/4 cup in the morning 3/4 cup at night a cookie when I leave for work n on her grooming nights she gets a cheese stick!! If u do a calorie count I prolly am starving her!!! I made the decision a while ago I want a healthy happy dog not a "typical" looking bulldog!!! Considering she can run around outside for literally an hour without getting to out of breath I assume she has no issues breathing, she can jump from the middle of the driveway up into the pickup truck I assume she doesn't have joint or hip issues (sometimes I think she's a cat lol)

On a side note I posted this bcuz some ppl know the issues I've had with her weight n as I stated I was practically starving her n she was very unhealthy but still "fat" according to breed standards I don't make excuses for my girl if she winds up overweight it's my fault but she's not overweight she's very healthy she's tall broad big boned n a beautiful girl at 60 lbs
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Personally, I don't think 60lbs is fat. Like @mcraven2 pointed out, you do need to take body shape into consideration.
    I put Blue on a "diet" at 60lbs because he was 9 months old. He's 58lbs now at 10 months.

I'm talking more about the bulldogs that are 20-40lbs above the breed standard. Sorry, I just don't believe that those extra 20 pounds are all body shape.
    I just worry because I don't want him to have the problems I read about on here of course my kids make sure he stays exercised LOL they are always playing I'm a worry wart

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Porkys not fat :)

I couldnt help it but i agree in what blueberry's mum is saying - i know that there are many dogs who are nice and trim -read with great waistline , that are weighing over the breed standard and thats ok as bulldogs do come in all shapes and sizes
    but i do believe that breed standard was created for a reason - to breed for bettering the breed , possibly reduce health issues - i had a conversation with a vet who said that there are so many bulldogs and other "short muzzled " dogs that get their faces shorter and shorter ,nose folds covering most of the nostrils etc
    Cut a long storry short - i think because the way bulldog is build it is hard to see when they are getting a bit too chunky- i learned my lesson with shy -she did look to me like she had a waistline ,but i couldn't easily feel her ribs -and when dog is in good condition you should ,and she had to lose 8kg i thought my vet is nuts -but when she did lose- she looked fantastic and her waistline was more defined ?ok shes a mix breed but still )

Im not a breeder , or know the breed for 20 years or so -this is only my personal observation

Ps not sure id Porky is a chunky monkey as i cant feel his ribs ,besides hes still a pup ;-) a cute one indeed
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I saved this picture because it's important to be able to define the differences between fat and skinny. The only way to truly be able to tell if the weight is good is by looking down from above. They should have a clearly defined waist line. If not and the line is practically straight or bowed out from shoulder to butt there is a weight issue. Can you post pictures from above of Porky like this ? Not a bulldog in this pic, but the idea is the same.

-imageuploadedbytapatalk1382366353-941269-jpg

In a young pup this doesn't really apply, because they still have a lot of baby fat, but after about 6 months of age is when you need to make needed adjustments.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    I saved this picture because it's important to be able to define the differences between fat and skinny. The only way to truly be able to tell if the weight is good is by looking down from above. They should have a clearly defined waist line. If not and the line is practically straight or bowed out from shoulder to butt there is a weight issue. Can you post pictures from above of Porky like this ? Not a bulldog in this pic, but the idea is the same.

-imageuploadedbytapatalk1382366353-941269-jpg

In a young pup this doesn't really apply, because they still have a lot of baby fat, but after about 6 months of age is when you need to make needed adjustments.

When she wakes back up I will she's napping right now the leaves tired her out!!
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads