They are just so sensitive ....

B

Baxter Tiberius

I still can't believe how incredibly, incredibly sensitive this breed is. I have never in my life seen such a sensitive dog.

And they wear their emotions right on their sleeve too. Their facial expression does not hide what they are feeling at all. The body language too.

If Baxter is a bad boy and gets scolded in the morning, he will literally spend the entire day sulking. Nothing I do will cheer him up sometimes. He looks absolutely crushed about it.

I have tried showering him with reassurance, happy voice, cuddles, and playtime, but even then he may just "sulk" through the playing, and go lay down somewhere, sad.

Likewise, the body language and the entire countenance (facial expression) is obvious when they are happy, content, and feeling good about things.

There hasn't been a single time I've scolded baxter that I didn't spend the next 5 hours feeling horrible for it, because he just doesn't shake it very easily.

Even just a stern voice will really upset him. He's so loving, and wants me to be proud of him. Not upset with him.

Poor little guy. A little goes a long way with scolding. Need to keep that in mind. You don't want to crush their spirit. Its fragile!

And i love it. :)

Fionasmom

Mar 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona Faith Marie
I also have had many breeds, but the bulldog is the most sensitive that I have experienced. Fiona is 17 months old, and she times herself out when she does something wrong, before I scold her, like ripping up a magazine or going to the bathroom by the front door. When we scold her, she immediately puts her head down, and her feelings are so hurt. She doesn't stay that way to long, like Baxter, especially if I start to play with her or offer her a snack. I think that is why I feel in love with this breed is because of their sensitivity and they are just down right funny also. And they shower us all with so much love.

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Even before I catch Zeus he's already walking around like that. He gives himself up. That how I usually know he did something. He'll walk by with his face down just scooting his but in such shame. I have to walk around looking for the mess ..

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Yes they are like four legged humans!!!!! :tongue:, we have a sulker too but he seems to get over it quick for being in trouble, but will sulk all day when his Dad leaves for work, we know when he is looking for trouble, walking around the house with a "I am going to do something naughty" on his face :sneaky2:, then he has is playful, happy face, then there is worried :scared:look like when it is windy or loud noises etc, You are right, I have never come across a breed that can show so many emotions ! And I love it too !

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I still can't believe how incredibly, incredibly sensitive this breed is. I have never in my life seen such a sensitive dog.

And they wear their emotions right on their sleeve too. Their facial expression does not hide what they are feeling at all. The body language too.

If Baxter is a bad boy and gets scolded in the morning, he will literally spend the entire day sulking. Nothing I do will cheer him up sometimes. He looks absolutely crushed about it.

I have tried showering him with reassurance, happy voice, cuddles, and playtime, but even then he may just "sulk" through the playing, and go lay down somewhere, sad.

Likewise, the body language and the entire countenance (facial expression) is obvious when they are happy, content, and feeling good about things.

There hasn't been a single time I've scolded baxter that I didn't spend the next 5 hours feeling horrible for it, because he just doesn't shake it very easily.

Even just a stern voice will really upset him. He's so loving, and wants me to be proud of him. Not upset with him.

Poor little guy. A little goes a long way with scolding. Need to keep that in mind. You don't want to crush their spirit. Its fragile!

And i love it. :)

Could not agree with you more... Nitschke was EXACTLY like this and so is our little Frenchie; however, there is Banks, :bang: nothing, absolutely nothing phases this girl, she is 100% attitude and the world is her for US to mess up. She walks, stands, eats, plays and sleep with ATTITUDE! If we scold her, she has a look of 'so what' or 'and'?? She is the except, definitely not the rule...

BTW.... we need more pictures of Baxter

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Could not agree with you more... Nitschke was EXACTLY like this and so is our little Frenchie; however, there is Banks, :bang: nothing, absolutely nothing phases this girl, she is 100% attitude and the world is her for US to mess up. She walks, stands, eats, plays and sleep with ATTITUDE! If we scold her, she has a look of 'so what' or 'and'?? She is the except, definitely not the rule...

BTW.... we need more pictures of Baxter
I agree as well, but honestly I'm wondering if it's a female thing?!! Our Bella could have cared less if she got in trouble, nothing seemed to faze little Ms. Attitude... Winston is another story!!! He mopes around, and is constantly looking for attention... since my hubby got back he has mentioned to me several times what a big BABY Winston has turned into!!! LOL :babysleep:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
They are like toddlers with fur! They dont ever want to upset us. So in tune with our own emotions too. When I'm upset so are they, when I'm happy so are they.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

sethck89

Oct 13, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Humphrey
How funny! Poor thing. Hopefully he stops becoming so heartbroken when scolded!

Humphrey does what some other users stated that their bullies do: when he does something he knows he shouldn't do, he hangs his head and usually runs to hide. At our old apartment, he would run into the bathroom and hide behind the sink. At our current apartment, he runs under the coffee table, where he knows we have difficulty getting to him. Of course, when we pay him positive attention, even if it is soon after scolding him, he is back to being bouncy and kissy!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You are so right about that, they do want to please us, love us, and just want us to be proud of them. Ours will go sulk for a little while too and they know when we are upset of don't feel good. Then there is Diva, she is all about herself and could care less what you think. :) But they are the greatest, and that's why we love them.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is sensitive too, he knows when I am upset, as far as scolding him, he will sulk for a minute but his memory is short lived.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
That's so true! Chum wants to play all the time..when I stop to do something else he'll just lie down and sulk which always makes me stop what I'm doing to play with him some more. Yes they have us just where they want us!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon too knows when he has done something that is sure to get him a scolding he gets this disappointed in himself look like hanging his head and looking up at me like Mommy I've been naughty let me show you and he takes me to whatever he has torn up or scattered. I just give him muzzies and pick up the mess because he does this so very rarely that its usually stress related. I think its one of the things I love most about this breed. The love they show to us. Y'all are right all they want to do is please us and love us and be with us. For Sheldon a time out is plenty to make him get the idea.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Even before I catch Zeus he's already walking around like that. He gives himself up. That how I usually know he did something. He'll walk by with his face down just scooting his but in such shame. I have to walk around looking for the mess ..

This is so true! The ears go back and lay flat on baxters head. He looks very submissive, and the face is just outright SAD looking LOL!!! Instead of perked up, and he looks at me with such guilt. I know he has either had a potty accident or he did something else wrong.

This is what really endears me to this breed the most. I simply can't ask for a better demeanor. Endearing is an insufficient word for it.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.