A bad walker.

BiggiesPa

Oct 19, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
Hey guys! My little guy, Biggie, is an all around cute dog.

He has a cherry eye, but we're dealing with that in 6 days (surgery time!).

He's excellent at home, doesn't chew on what he shouldn't be chewing on, not peeing/pooping everywhere (I can honestly say, if he pees, it's my fault for getting caught up in something and not taking him down - he's become that good at it).

However, my one point of contention, and a high one at that, is that he seems suicidal. Whenever he's done pooping outside, he loves to try and sprint into the middle of the road - obviously, you can imagine how absolutely frustrating this is. We've changed collars (we have a body collar where the leash attaches in the front - it has lightened his pulling/pushing, but not stopped it). Actually, another (but this is a thread for later), is his skin. Sometimes it looks great, other times it looks patchy? We wash his bed/covers every week, just about. Going to the vet every time it looks patchy is beginning to take a toll on the bank.

Today in the morning, he finished pooping, and while I was scooping it up, he SPRINTED (or tried) into traffic. All I could do was give him a tug, to stop him. He did a barrel roll in mid air (landed in the grass), but thankfully never reached the road.

What is this? How do I deal with this? He gets 3-5 decent walks a day? How do prong/choke collars deal with this situation (I feel like it's cruelty)? Is there a specific collar I should be looking for? Any walking training tips? Anyone suffering from the same suicidal-dog plight?

Thanks for reading!
375700_4619915430439_1167049368_n.jpg
971653_4798852623757_1617977734_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We had a thread on this before, it seems that all Bully's poop and run :rundog: I know that my two have done it. Of course we have a fenced yard, so traffic isn't an issue... I would say get a harness & try that. The pronged collars are not cruel if they are used properly, they are supposed to be loose on the neck not tight. If he's been to training I would try getting him to sit/stay after he poops to get a treat... Good Luck!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep. it's a bully thing, after they poop, they like to do their victory run. I would say just try to get closer to him when he is doing his business and try to tighten the leash, before he has a chance to run. I would not put a prong/choke collar on him, as these can cause damage to him if he takes off and it tightens up on him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
as others have said... it is a bully thing, there is a thread here about it -- not ALL do it, but most.... as David said, it is like a victory run for them

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
That second picture just kills me..so cute.

My dog loves to run after she poops too, but she knows better than to dash into the street.

I'd use a prong over a choke..they're safer. But, personally, I wouldn't really use either. Bulldogs have sensitive tracheas and I just really don't like the idea of it.

Can you buy him a nice harness and put him on that when you let him out? Keep the leash short. It's easier to reel him back in with a nice harness..less strain on the neck. I rarely leash Delilah, unless I'm out at a public event..but when I do, I put her on the harness. Much gentler on her and she prefers that to something around her neck.

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
We find martingale collar works better than normal collar. He won't slip out of it. A quick snap will get his attention. Once he graduated from the collar, we were able to put a harness on him and able to go for walk properly. We have a fenced backyard, so he is free to run crazy as much as he wants. The only way to get him back to the house is with a treat.

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
Chesty likes to poop and run to ( I thought it was just my dog who did this) but he wears a harness and is on a leash at all times when going potty because my yard is not fenced it, And chesty used to poop and run out of the yard and onto the road or across the street and it was so nerve wrecking so he lost his privilege of going potty without a leash, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I also have a lead for him so he still is able to get his exercise on a long lead but he just can't run free unless we are at the dog park or my one friends house. Luckily he is pretty lazy so running for him is a chore unless he poops. lol

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Rocco always runs after he poops. I had some friends over for the game last night and they thought it was the funniest thing lol. He has never tried to run into the street when I walk him I'm the front. My backyard is not completely fenced in so I don't really let him roam free there either. Can you try walking in the back or somewhere not close to the street? Idk, I really don't know what else to try

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.