Bully on bed

ozzybabyboy

Aug 12, 2013
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
Don't know if this is a general topic or if it belongs in behavioral so I apologize if I'm posting to the wrong place.

Here is my unique question, our bully is 1 yr old and he is crate trained. Well my gf mainly would like for him to sleep on the bed with us but he doesn't seem to stay still when he is on it. Is there a way we can get him to go to sleep when we get him on there? Also he's peed 2 times when he's on there for a while. Please give me your suggestions on what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
My suggestion would be not to start especially if you got him sleeping in the cage no problems. My guy can hang out on the bed for a few before bed time but after night one when he peed on the bed he lost that privilege. Accidents are bound to happen.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
As long as your pup is potty trained properly, he shouldn't be having accidents - unless you're not taking him out close enough to bedtime.

My bully is crate trained and was able to start sleeping in the bed at maybe four months old (after being able to sleep all the way through the night at 10 wks).

The only times we have ever had issues with her having accidents is if we didn't take her out before bedtime or she had a bladder infection.

If he doesn't sit still, maybe it's because he's just really excited to be on the bed. He'll get used to it. We have stairs that go to my bed, so that Til can come to bed when she's ready. Sometimes she'll just choose to sleep in her crate. I think it helps because if she isn't ready to sleep, she'll play with her toys on the floor until she's tired, THEN come to cuddle.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
For some reason, bullies seem to pee whenever soft bedding or such is under
them, it can be overcome, I've had 2 bullies that did it and with time, training
and work, they stopped it. Some bullies tho, never seem to be able to stop the
urge and so have to have all bedding taken out of their crate even, or owners
use old towels then wash every day. I've always slept with my animals, dogs
& cats, at 58~won't stop now. There's nothing wrong in snuggling all together
then crating him when ready for bed. You'll get better sleep too!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I think its a matter if preference ,as we got 2 dogs that love having a good stretch on our bed we chuck them out to their own beds ,but if i had one dog -why not! Tbh i miss having my girls with us ;-)

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I often wish Dudley would sleep on the bed...I'd probably end up on the floor because he is a bit of a couch-hog, and does think everything is "about him"! He can't seem to settle down...so he sleeps where he wants, which usually is the couch, his favorite chair, the ottoman or his crate!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I often wish Dudley would sleep on the bed...I'd probably end up on the floor because he is a bit of a couch-hog, and does think everything is "about him"! He can't seem to settle down...so he sleeps where he wants, which usually is the couch, his favorite chair, the ottoman or his crate!

Ahhhhh, Dudley...living the good life!
:smoochwink:

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
Chesty sleeps on my bed, and when he was a puppy he peed a few times on the bed and when he did i would put him on the floor, and he would whine a little bit and i wouldn't give in and once he realized if he peed on the bed he wasn't aloud on the bed. so he no longer pees on the bed it took about 4xs of this. he loves sleeping in bed too. but he is a bed hog that is for sure he sleeps on the bed like he is a German Shepherd.

sethck89

Oct 13, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Humphrey
My Humphrey does the exact same thing. He has peed about a dozen times at various times while he has been in the bed, and while some nights he has been able to sleep with no issues, other nights, he has gotten up and started running around the in the floor at two in the morning. We have found that he tends to be able to sleep in the bed when he has been exercised that evening, so if we want him to sleep in the bed with us, we take him to the dog park for awhile shortly before bedtime.

Beautiful Berry

Apr 28, 2013
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Berry R.I.P
Berry has her own blankets and pillow so she has claim to her own area of my bed if I happen to cross over to her part im swiftly told I dont belong there. She has never peed on the bed tho.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue peed on our bed twice when he was about 4 and 6 months old.

Recently, we untrained him from our bed. The bigger he gets, the less sleep we get. He's also a hog and likes to sleep between me and Chris, like way up with his head between our heads. It drives us nuts.

Fionasmom

Mar 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona Faith Marie
That was the hardest thing to train Fiona not to sleep on my bed. She whined for hours. I crated her and now she sleeps on her bed next to mine. I had to untrain her to sleep with me because as she got bigger she took up the whole bed. She never moves and is dead weight in the middle of the night when I try to move her. So I was getting less sleep. I do miss our cuddles, but i am not sure if I should let her in my bed for cuddling and then tell her its night night time, and make her sleep in her bed. I am scared she will think i changed my mind. What do you all think?

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
That was the hardest thing to train Fiona not to sleep on my bed. She whined for hours. I crated her and now she sleeps on her bed next to mine. I had to untrain her to sleep with me because as she got bigger she took up the whole bed. She never moves and is dead weight in the middle of the night when I try to move her. So I was getting less sleep. I do miss our cuddles, but i am not sure if I should let her in my bed for cuddling and then tell her its night night time, and make her sleep in her bed. I am scared she will think i changed my mind. What do you all think?

I let Rocco cuddle with us every night. But when it's bed time, he goes in his crate. I don't trust him in the bed all night plus it's a habit I swore I wouldn't start. Now I get the best of both worlds....cuddle time and sleep with no distractions. Although nights I'm away, I know the girlfriend lets him sleep with her. :sly:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
I assume you let him out to pee before he goes to bed with you. I guess we have been very lucky with our EB. He didn't start sleeping with us til he was around 1.5 years old. And if he needs to pee while sleeping on our bed, he normally wakes me up by putting his whole weigh on my legs that he needs to go outside to pee.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.