allergies.... I think....

shaedeck

Sep 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I am a bullie owner. My lola is 2.5 years old. She is a great dog!!! But today I noticed a small nickle size area on her lower right side. I thought it was some kind of sticky something since my daughter and nieces and nephews had been playing with her. But as I took a warm wash rag to it I noticed that the hair was gone and there was a sore place. She had been scratching and licking a but more than usual. I think its her allergies because she does have some small welts on her back. We give her zyrtec. Is benadryl better? Or is there a special shampoo I can use. I have been using pet head. Help please!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am a bullie owner. My lola is 2.5 years old. She is a great dog!!! But today I noticed a small nickle size area on her lower right side. I thought it was some kind of sticky something since my daughter and nieces and nephews had been playing with her. But as I took a warm wash rag to it I noticed that the hair was gone and there was a sore place. She had been scratching and licking a but more than usual. I think its her allergies because she does have some small welts on her back. We give her zyrtec. Is benadryl better? Or is there a special shampoo I can use. I have been using pet head. Help please!!

Sounds like a hot spot if its moist and tacky, it needs to be dried out. Best way is by washing and then using something to kill the bacteria or rash like panalog ointment. Vetericyn, malacetic, douxo pads, anything like that. Hot spots are usually triggered by food allergies, but can also be brought on by environment but just more rarely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi there,..... does sound like allergy issues for sure. Zyrtec or benedryl can be used, some do better on one than the other. Since she is , have you thought about asking your vet to do a full blood screen allergy test? it is not % accurate, but will give you a good baseline of what to avoid. As for the hotspot.. shave around the area and keep it clean and dry... drying out is what you want.

OP
S

shaedeck

Sep 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Sounds like a hot spot if its moist and tacky, it needs to be dried out. Best way is by washing and then using something to kill the bacteria or rash like panalog ointment. Vetericyn, malacetic, douxo pads, anything like that. Hot spots are usually triggered by food allergies, but can also be brought on by environment but just more rarely.

Thank you!! I called my her original vet and they did a blood screen. They faxing me list of the results. They said it sounds like a heat spot. So I cleaned it really good with antiseptic wipes and then put some neosporian on it so it wouldn't become infected. I did that last night and woke this morning and checked on it and it was dry and scabbed :) I'm gonna change her food to see if it may help!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thank you!! I called my her original vet and they did a blood screen. They faxing me list of the results. They said it sounds like a heat spot. So I cleaned it really good with antiseptic wipes and then put some neosporian on it so it wouldn't become infected. I did that last night and woke this morning and checked on it and it was dry and scabbed :) I'm gonna change her food to see if it may help!!!

If it starts growing you will need to shave the area to help dry it out faster if you can.

JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Jagger has terrible allergies. He tends to get a hot spot on the back of his neck. It's the only place he can reach to scratch :) shaving it down is the best thing. That way is stays clean and dry. I wrapped his neck so he couldn't scratch and it went away very quickly. If his allergies get really bad he will also shed a lot of hair along the top of his back. He hates having his neck wrapped but covering works very well.
7ujy6yju.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

How is Lola doing?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.