fushifoto

Oct 15, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hey all,

I am new here :D

My wife and I would like to learn more about EB's and hope to get some good answers and great discussions. We both grew up with dogs and I owned a dog myself in the past (Boston Terrier) but we never had a bully.

Maja and I currently live in NY (for a job assignment). Originally we are from Switzerland and will travel back within a years time.

We would love to have an English Bulldog but have some concerns we would like to discuss here:

Traveling
This is the biggest concern as we would have to bring the dog back to Switzerland. We fly Swiss and they have no restrictions with regards to any breed. We are currently talking to the airline if we can take the dog into the cabin (even if he will be heavier than 8kg - 20lbs). We fly Business and even will try to downgrade and get an 'extra seat' for the dog. Does anyone of you have ever traveled internationally with an EB? We also have seen some companies offering pet air travel. Does anyone has any experience with that? Cargo is not an option!
:p If we do not figure out a way of travelling safe we will not get an EB here!

Breeder

We find it very difficult to find a breeder that we can trust. We have joined a local meetup group of Bully owners but did not get any good recommendation. We are also in contact with a local shelter as adaption would also be an option for us. Could you recommend a breeder in the tri-state area? We do not look for a show dog nor do we want to get a dog for breeding. All we look for is a great companion! However we understand that EB are expensive dogs and are aware that a puppy will be between 3 and 5k.

Health
One reads so many stories about health issues of the EB. We have friends back in Switzerland that have EB's for many years and they have not had much problems. One of the dogs had cherry eyes but other than that the dogs were always in great physical condition. What are your experiences? Is this mainly dependant on the breeders responsibility?

Other breeds
Did someone of you ever owned a EOB or Continental (Swiss breed)? Would you recommend such a dog for living in a city? This would be an option for us (as they seem to be healthier in general) however the same applies to the OEB when it comes to traveling.

:confused:
I know these are a lot of questions but we really are struggeling at the moment on what to do so therefore any advice would be awesome

Thanks

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi fushifoto- welcome to EBN.

I can't answer all your questions but I'll give a few a try.

Regarding Traveling; My husband and I used to travel all the time. We fly business, mostly with Lufthansa. They do not allow dogs in business. American Airlines, British Airways, Air France and Virgin Atlantic won't allow English Bulldogs in Business either.
My husband has family in Europe and the biggest issue for us was Lufthansa.

If I were you, I wouldn't get a bulldog until I was back home.

Health; Yes, they have many health issues. Purchasing from a responsible breeder does not guarantee a healthy dog. It helps, but there's no guarantees with this breed.
They have allergies, hip problems, eye and skin issues.

They're also like toddlers that never grow up. They need constant cleaning, monitoring and attention. Lol, Blue is my second full time job.

Having said the above, I adore this breed. They're loyal, affectionate, have amazing temperaments, and are very gentle with children/smaller dogs. I always say I'm gonna get a different breed after dealing with Blue's health problems, but I doubt I will.
I'm a bulldog lover for life.

OP
F

fushifoto

Oct 15, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hey Blueberrys Mom,

thank you very much for your comments. Did you ever take the dog abroad as cargo or did you never travel with it?

Regarding the health - I hear you. My Boston had issues with the hips to but thank god he did not have allergies. I assume these are mostly food allergies?

It is mainly the character why we adore the breed so much !!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I love that you are asking all these questions before you get your dog. It shows you truly care for the breed. I can't answer the traveling questions but as far as the health, It really depends. I think alot of it depends on the care of the dog meaning maintenance, nutrition, and general all around care. It sounds like you would be great parents so I don't think there will be a problem. All bulldogs run the risk of issues. I think you just need to be prepared and have a great vet. If you are on a very strict budget I would take into consideration the fact that these dogs are very peculiar meaning they don't realize they are not supposed to eat everything, jump from any perch, etc. anyway I hope you get your questions answered and a bulldog fits your life because they really are the greatest dogs in the world.

OP
F

fushifoto

Oct 15, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
hey brutus, thanks for that and your kind words!

Regarding budget - sounds maybe strange but its not an issue. We understand that some breeds are 'high maintenance' and if one decides to go with a breed like this the maintenance and costs are part of it. The most important thing is that the dog is healthy :pray: My Boston was the same - he was eating everything and all the time - reminds me a little bit about me :whistle: so I am used to give food in portions

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hiya and welcome to the forum ,i wish many more owners would research breeds before deciding on one - shelters wouldn't be so full
As you already got great advice
I can only add that if you consider adopting a bulldog in need , its a wonderful thing to do ,if you consider adopting an adult -you know how it looks,you most likely skip the potty training (sometimes they do need a refresh in training),shark stage and most importantly giving a loving home otherwise an unwanted dog
People seem to think that dogs that end up in rescues or shelters are there because there is something wrong with them (health ,behaviour etc) but in reality they end up there as they "grew to big" , "not matching colour of the sofa"-yes while photographing shelter dogs one was returned for this reason!!! Or simply with current economic climate people no longer can afford to care for they pets
(sometimes our circumstances :work kids etc are not "good " for the shelter to let us adopt as some shelters or rescues have different guidance re:adoptions )

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
hey brutus, thanks for that and your kind words!

Regarding budget - sounds maybe strange but its not an issue. We understand that some breeds are 'high maintenance' and if one decides to go with a breed like this the maintenance and costs are part of it. The most important thing is that the dog is healthy :pray: My Boston was the same - he was eating everything and all the time - reminds me a little bit about me :whistle: so I am used to give food in portions
I'm glad that won't be an issue. I felt funny saying it to you but budget really is a big decision in getting this kind of dog. I hope it all works out for you as I think you will be perfect bulldog parents.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hey Blueberrys Mom,

thank you very much for your comments. Did you ever take the dog abroad as cargo or did you never travel with it?

Regarding the health - I hear you. My Boston had issues with the hips to but thank god he did not have allergies. I assume these are mostly food allergies?

You're welcome.

Blue came to live with us in January, and my husband and I have not flown together since.

Most airlines will not accept brachycephalic breeds as cargo. There have been too many tragedies with the pups overheating and dying.
However, if you purchase your pup right before flying home, and he meets the size/weight requirements, you can take him on your flight and keep him in his crate.
I *believe* (someone correct me if I'm wrong), that the crate needs to be small enough to fit under your seat. So your puppy would need to be very young.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Health
One reads so many stories about health issues of the EB. We have friends back in Switzerland that have EB's for many years and they have not had much problems. One of the dogs had cherry eyes but other than that the dogs were always in great physical condition. What are your experiences? Is this mainly dependant on the breeders responsibility?

My personal opinion on the health issue: Food intake is 100% of the influence on the English Bulldog health, outside of genetics. Obviously, genetics plays a role, just like it does in humans. But just like in humans, bad genes are turned "on" by environmental factors. Likewise they can remain "off" in the absence of food toxins, environmental toxins, and stress triggers. In my short experience here, most of the skin, and other inflammatory related issues (possibly including cherry eye?) can stem back to dietary intake. Many may disagree with me on this, but inflammation manifests in many ways. Allergies. Tissue inflammation > Tissue infection. Brain issues. Arthritis and joint problems. These are heavily influenced by inflammation. This is true for humans as well. English bulldogs genetically seem to have a predisposition to digestive health issues and allergies / immune dysregulation. Poor gut health in humans and in dogs is probably the biggest source of disease in the body. Gut permeability promoted by grains, glutens, and other difficult-to-digest foods over the long term can wreak havoc on the system. Most of the bully issues you read about here are remedied by dietary changes. I personally have opted to feed Baxter only natural, organic, and whole foods wherever possible. I avoid kibble 100%. I may come around and hop on the "Fromms" bandwagon eventually, but for now I am exploring the best way to feed him easily digestable, nutrient rich whole foods, and he is doing really well. I would spend a lot of time researching the digestive issues english bulldogs have, and the very simple ways to avoid them. Along with intake of healthy fats (again just like humans) many of the neurological conditions, stroke, etc can be delayed as well, or avoided entirely. Theoretically. I would also get pet insurance just for the heck of it. Takes care of any concerns you may have if something does come up. As I am sure many others have stated here - never let health concerns affect your decision to say "Yes" to this breed. They are truly amazing. Good luck!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Its so wonderful that you are finding all of this out before hand. A lot of the allergies are food related and can be remedied with the correct food some are connected to outdoors mainly things that if you can catch early are totally treatable. I am a first time EB Mom and it is so fulfilling for me the rewards are in love and wet slobbery kisses (muzzies). Sheldon will be two in Nov. and he is absolutely one of the best choices I ever made in deciding to let my husband get him. In training they react so much better to positive reinforcement you know ignore the bad and overly reward the good. I don't think we can suggest anyone breeder as per forum rules but I think someone can send you a private message with the name of a reputable breeder not sure of this [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] correct me if I'm wrong. OH and Welcome to EBN make yourself comfortable and read the articles they are full of information and help tremendously.

OP
F

fushifoto

Oct 15, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
wow thank you all for the great comments and advices! me wife will been soon back from the airport where she hopefully was able to speak to someone from the swiss crew. lets see if they give us an option to take an EB in the cabin:unsure:

if not I feel we have to wait until we are back home...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Its so wonderful that you are finding all of this out before hand. A lot of the allergies are food related and can be remedied with the correct food some are connected to outdoors mainly things that if you can catch early are totally treatable. I am a first time EB Mom and it is so fulfilling for me the rewards are in love and wet slobbery kisses (muzzies). Sheldon will be two in Nov. and he is absolutely one of the best choices I ever made in deciding to let my husband get him. In training they react so much better to positive reinforcement you know ignore the bad and overly reward the good. I don't think we can suggest anyone breeder as per forum rules but I think someone can send you a private message with the name of a reputable breeder not sure of this [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] correct me if I'm wrong. OH and Welcome to EBN make yourself comfortable and read the articles they are full of information and help tremendously.

Yes recommending via private message is fine, just not on the forums :)

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Thank you that is what I thought...hope all works out right for you and the fur baby you intend to get.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Hey Blueberrys Mom,

i imported duke from Hungary at 12 weeks he flew on Lufthansa it cost about $1k. He arrived safe with no issues.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
When I spoke with Lufthansa, this was back in March or April, I was told "no". BUT, I wanted him in the cabin with us.

edited to add: I spoke with quite a few airlines too because we needed to be there in June for a family event. They all said he can not fly in the cabin with us. They were all, including Lufthansa very adamant about this.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online