Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Things that drive me nuts about non~bully owners. ;)

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Things that drive me nuts about non~bully owners. ;)

This is a good one. I posted a status update on my Facebook site last night asking for more good thoughts and prayers for Truman. Someone commented (this is cut and paste): "You know if u purchase dogs other then bulldogs they don't have to go through all of that...." I deleted the comment immediately but this is one thing I am tired of at this point. Yes, they have health issues and sometimes more than other dogs - but show me a dog that doesn't have anything go wrong? I mean, it happens, just like it does to people! That just really irked me.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jillh10 View Post
    This is a good one. I posted a status update on my Facebook site last night asking for more good thoughts and prayers for Truman. Someone commented (this is cut and paste): "You know if u purchase dogs other then bulldogs they don't have to go through all of that...." I deleted the comment immediately but this is one thing I am tired of at this point. Yes, they have health issues and sometimes more than other dogs - but show me a dog that doesn't have anything go wrong? I mean, it happens, just like it does to people! That just really irked me.
    I get the same kind of comments. Makes me SOOOO MAD! People can be so insensitive.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jillh10 View Post
    That type of comment would make me want to delete the friend. You can think that all you want but to say that especially at a time like now?!?! No! I am sorry that is wrong.

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)

We haven't had Chance for very long but the most common issue I have with non-bully owners (or people who don't know dogs) is the "boy, that dog is fat" comment. I have found, however, that most people who have done even a tiny amount of research into dog breeds, generally understand that a bully is not built like most dogs. This is best understood by people who own mastiffs but other people seem to get it just fine. Every so often I am amazed at people who, however well intentioned, confuse Chance with a pitbull. A boxer (a fat boxer!) I could see but a pit? Hrm...

The one thing I don't mind (though perhaps after reading everyone's response I probably should) is when people ask me how much he cost. I typically use it as a "teachable moment" and explain to people the importance of doing your research into the breed, getting a reputable breeder and not buying from a pet store (where I have seen bullies run upwards of $5000). I go one step further to explain that good breeders do what they can to ensure a healthy bulldog and I explain all the possible health complications associated with bully ownership.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali~jenn View Post
    I CANNOT even imagine your poor bully being used for bait for dog fighting. That is so awful for any poor pup! I am thankful I havent gotten that question, WOW! I of course have heard the "oh why did you get him fixed and not breed him?" Why should anyone have to explain that about any dog? What are they just dollar signs, not animals?

I also get the complaint about his drool. He doesn drool, he just carries water. Now st. bernards drool! lol.
    and as an owner of both bullies and saint bernards, I can honestly say that @cali~jenn speaks the truth
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

When my husband showed me a picture of Bullie and told me he is interested in adopting this dog, I said, "But, she's so ugly!". Ok, so I have a bichon frise and he is pretty . But, of course, I saw how cute Bullie was the day we brought her home. But then, my friend who is a giant dog lover with 4 dobermans, 1 pit bull, and 1 bulldog said EB's are an anomaly and should not be bred. Not quite sure yet if she was just kidding.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

oh my i cannot believe that people actually say that to anyone. When i go to petco with sarah all i hear is how beautiful she is. Or i have wanted a bulldog forever. i cannot imagine people calling her ugly. now i do hear the fat comment and i want to hit them but i either let it go as ill only be seeing them for a few seconds or ill explain she is skinny compared to other bully owners ive run into around here. Here in south central va people seem very complementary and everyone loves bullys so i guess im lucky in that respect. i think i have a defective dog as sarah does not drool at all. maybe i should return her

Although I'm sure it'll get old quick, I'm looking forward to telling people, straight-faced, that they clearly have a vision problem if they think bulldogs are ugly. Flat out, probably the most adorable breed of dog on this planet. Hands down.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    When my husband showed me a picture of Bullie and told me he is interested in adopting this dog, I said, "But, she's so ugly!".
    OH NO YOU DINIT!!!!

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

It is funny...I took Gator with me when I went to FL and we stayed at my IL's house for a few days. He was the PERFECT gentleman. My MIL and FIL kept telling him how ugly he was....BUT they let him in the formal living room and on the sofa and under the table when they ate which they NEVER let any of the other family dogs do....My FIL just kept looking at him and smiling and my MIL kept trying to sneak him food in the kitchen which, again, she never, ever does for the other "granddogs". Too too funny.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gregory
    Likes (Received)

today i went to my parents house, i pull in the driveway and notice there are two elderly ladies knocking on the front door. I hollar to them my mom isnt home, is there something i can help you with? at this time i am helping Gregory out of his crate and getting his things from the car. One of the ladies starts running down the sidewalk when she sees him and the other comes over says is he going to bite me?! Everything in side of me wanted to say yes hes going to tear your clothes off and eat you lady! at this point he is laying down in the driveway licking his feet. I cant stand people who think bulldogs are going to attack you.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    OH NO YOU DINIT!!!!
    I know, right? What was I thinking???

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads