Does your bullie Fetch, or do you???

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Ever since Blue was a wee pup, he loved running after balls.

At home, I'll throw it, he'll get it, then he'll run back, but instead of dropping it so I can throw it again, he'll drop it in front of me and guard it. Waiting for me to tackle the ball from him. It's pretty funny actually.

When we started going to the dog park, his version of fetch, turned into "guard the ball". Meaning, I throw it, he runs after it, then he stands over it and guards it. He waits for me to walk over, then tries to keep me from taking the ball. Once I manage to get it out of his grubby little paws, I throw it again and the fun starts all over. In other words, I'm the one fetching, not him!

Does anyone's bullie do the same thing?? Guard the ball instead of returning it?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Well sort of, we throw the ball or toy, they run after it, then they stay there chewing and gnawing the ball or toy, and they wrestle with it, with each other. They never bring the toys back. Lol

GunnyHighway

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King
Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway
This is exactly what Gunny does. I have been working on it for over a week. It would be nice to play fetch the "normal" way.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
If I try to get Maggie to play with anything she looks at me like I'm an idiot. She literally couldn't care less about toys. Of any kind.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June will fetch and bring it back... but then we have to pry it from her locked jaws haha

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Haha ya. Daisy will go and get it then bring in back ans she does pretty much the same thing.. Drops it and then does the lil butt up in the air wiggle.. And when I try to grab it she will grab it up and run..

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
More like keep away. We will toss a ball or something and Harlea will go get it. As soon as we go to get it from her she takes off running in the opposite direction.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus did the same thing. We have trained him to drop it and sit down and wait for us to throw it again. Don't be to impressed though because as I am typing this praise of him, he is chewing his toy box to bits. SMH

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ever since Blue was a wee pup, he loved running after balls.

At home, I'll throw it, he'll get it, then he'll run back, but instead of dropping it so I can throw it again, he'll drop it in front of me and guard it. Waiting for me to tackle the ball from him. It's pretty funny actually.

When we started going to the dog park, his version of fetch, turned into "guard the ball". Meaning, I throw it, he runs after it, then he stands over it and guards it. He waits for me to walk over, then tries to keep me from taking the ball. Once I manage to get it out of his grubby little paws, I throw it again and the fun starts all over. In other words, I'm the one fetching, not him!

Does anyone's bullie do the same thing?? Guard the ball instead of returning it?

Blue sounds just like Ftse :D

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
More like keep away. We will toss a ball or something and Harlea will go get it. As soon as we go to get it from her she takes off running in the opposite direction.
Sounds like the game we play.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Too funny, Gio does the exact same thing! He always guards it and when I eventually do get it from him he jumps up at me trying to get it back! I look like a fool in my yard walking back and forth throwing the ball pretty much to myself lol

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Exactly what Buster does! I can never figure it out, he loves to chase it down but then I have to go over and wrestle it away from him. I thought I would be smart when he was younger and bought the big .99 balls at Walmart and had them all over the backyard but his chin broke out and the vet said it wasn't good to have his chin rubbing around on the plastic balls that way. We still play with the football but man, his arm strength is INCREDIBLE! For such squat dogs they are VERRRRY very strong!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
The only ball Sheldon will not give back is a football all other toys are brought back to me and dropped ( we have been working on this and he is doing really well) but you put a football out there to play with and its game on!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
June will fetch and bring it back... but then we have to pry it from her locked jaws haha

This is Dudley with his frisbees. We throw, he runs and grabs it -- sometimes in mid-air -- and he brings it back...and then he guards it. He holds it in his mouth, or drops it on the ground and puts his big fat paws on it! Or, and this is the one that cracks me up, he'll balance it on the edge of the frisbee between the ground and one lip! He is so stinkin' funny with it -- teasing me. If I try to grab it, he chomps down on it and runs away!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Bullie doesn't play with toys. She likes playing chase for 10 minutes and then she's done.

Angus plays fetch. All the time. That's his favorite game. I throw the frisbee/ball/anything, he runs after it, comes back to me and either drop it on my feet or lets go of it when I hold the toy and I throw it again. He can catch a frisbee in the air like them exhibition dogs!

But all this is trained behavior. I don't play tug of war with my dogs. My husband does. I don't want to chance for the game to get out of hand. So, I taught Angus to bring the toy to me and drop it. This is how I did it - I throw the toy, he runs after it. If he doesn't bring it back, then the game is over and I walk away. He then runs back with the toy because he likes chasing the thing rather than tearing it up so we start another game. Then he would come back to me with the toy but when I take the toy he plays tug of war with it. I don't tug it back, when he tugs, I let go of the toy and walk away. So then he takes the toy back to me, I try to take it, he won't tug but he won't let go either. This is when I started to teach him the drop it command. I hold the toy, he holds the toy, I say drop it. If he lets go I give him lots and lots of praise then I throw the toy again. If he doesn't drop it nothing happens or I walk away depending on how long I want to wait for it. It took a very short time to teach Angus this - all in one afternoon even - because he loves to run after the toy. Catching a frisbee was a little more work - it took us several days before he would catch the frisbee instead of waiting for it to hit the ground. Then it took a while for him to master catching it instead of it just bouncing off his face. Well, I sucked at throwing the frisbee too so that had something to do with it.

It's really a fun game and it's super good for his exercise without wiping me out. We would play for an hour and it would make him very mellow the rest of the time. If we can't play outside, I would throw the toy up the stairs. That takes about 15 minutes and he's wiped out!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.