Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does your bullie Fetch, or do you???

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Does your bullie Fetch, or do you???

The only ball Sheldon will not give back is a football all other toys are brought back to me and dropped ( we have been working on this and he is doing really well) but you put a football out there to play with and its game on!

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha Orts View Post
    June will fetch and bring it back... but then we have to pry it from her locked jaws haha
    This is Dudley with his frisbees. We throw, he runs and grabs it -- sometimes in mid-air -- and he brings it back...and then he guards it. He holds it in his mouth, or drops it on the ground and puts his big fat paws on it! Or, and this is the one that cracks me up, he'll balance it on the edge of the frisbee between the ground and one lip! He is so stinkin' funny with it -- teasing me. If I try to grab it, he chomps down on it and runs away!

Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them...
    Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have. -- Thom Jones

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Bullie doesn't play with toys. She likes playing chase for 10 minutes and then she's done.

Angus plays fetch. All the time. That's his favorite game. I throw the frisbee/ball/anything, he runs after it, comes back to me and either drop it on my feet or lets go of it when I hold the toy and I throw it again. He can catch a frisbee in the air like them exhibition dogs!

But all this is trained behavior. I don't play tug of war with my dogs. My husband does. I don't want to chance for the game to get out of hand. So, I taught Angus to bring the toy to me and drop it. This is how I did it - I throw the toy, he runs after it. If he doesn't bring it back, then the game is over and I walk away. He then runs back with the toy because he likes chasing the thing rather than tearing it up so we start another game. Then he would come back to me with the toy but when I take the toy he plays tug of war with it. I don't tug it back, when he tugs, I let go of the toy and walk away. So then he takes the toy back to me, I try to take it, he won't tug but he won't let go either. This is when I started to teach him the drop it command. I hold the toy, he holds the toy, I say drop it. If he lets go I give him lots and lots of praise then I throw the toy again. If he doesn't drop it nothing happens or I walk away depending on how long I want to wait for it. It took a very short time to teach Angus this - all in one afternoon even - because he loves to run after the toy. Catching a frisbee was a little more work - it took us several days before he would catch the frisbee instead of waiting for it to hit the ground. Then it took a while for him to master catching it instead of it just bouncing off his face. Well, I sucked at throwing the frisbee too so that had something to do with it.

It's really a fun game and it's super good for his exercise without wiping me out. We would play for an hour and it would make him very mellow the rest of the time. If we can't play outside, I would throw the toy up the stairs. That takes about 15 minutes and he's wiped out!
    Last edited by anatess; 10-14-2013 at 12:14 PM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Phew.. nice to know it's not just my crazy pup. Any idea if this guarding tendency is just a bulldog thing, or do all dogs do this? (Blue is the first dog we ever had).
    @anatess We've been working with him and he gets it, but he just doesn't seem to care. He's very aggressive with toys, won't even drop one for a treat.

Real Name
    Katie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chester Winston (Chesty)
    Likes (Received)

HAHAHAHAH yes!!!! I throw the ball Chesty will chase it then once he finds it he will stand there and bark at me ( like look i found it, now come get it) so I will walk over and he lets me take the ball without a fight. Then he whines at me like throw it so you can go fetch it. So yes i play fetch with myself. but after about 6 throws he's over the game and wants to take a snooze.
    Katie & Chesty

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member mc68mc's Avatar
    Real Name
    Robert McCray
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
    Likes (Received)

April loves fetch inside -outside I guess there is to much going on - out of all the toys we have bought her she loves gloves ..... gloves of any kind .......gloves ...... leather work gloves rubber coated work gloves ...... hunting gloves ...... jersey gloves ..... yellow fuzzy farmer gloves ......she will fetch a glove in a heart beat - didnt know i owned so many DAMN GLOVES ......one of these days im going to freak her the hell out -im going to walk in after work and throw her some MITTENS !!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mc68mc View Post
    April loves fetch inside -outside I guess there is to much going on - out of all the toys we have bought her she loves gloves ..... gloves of any kind .......gloves ...... leather work gloves rubber coated work gloves ...... hunting gloves ...... jersey gloves ..... yellow fuzzy farmer gloves ......she will fetch a glove in a heart beat - didnt know i owned so many DAMN GLOVES ......one of these days im going to freak her the hell out -im going to walk in after work and throw her some MITTENS !!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
    She is going to look at you like wth is this?? Lmbo

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rudy and Mila
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, they get kinda bored chasing the ball. After a while it turns into you chasing them and the ball. Starting to think Bullies should be a lot higher on the Doggie intelligence list, or we should be a lot lower on the intelligence list?

Real Name
    Andrea
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bazza
    Likes (Received)

Too funny, such characters these bullies Bazza loves chasing balls, he brings them back, but only gives it up in his own time, like when you ignore him because if you try and take it from him he will not give it up, he will finally rub the slobbery ball all over us and then drop it, it is actually annoying when we have visitors, because he will do it to them when they don't really want to play with a wet ball.

Real Name
    Angie D'Accursio
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Santino
    Likes (Received)

Oh yes, yes,yes Santino does the exact same thing!!!!!! I'm the one getting the exercise lol

Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Winston is a funny boy. He brings me the ball back to show me that he's got it and then will push it against my leg or arm and squeak it like a maniac. If I reach for the toy, he runs off growling and doing a happy dance. It's really pretty funny to watch. If I stop "playing" his game with him, then he'll find someone else to do this with. It's his way of showing off that he's got the awesome squeaky toy!

Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Joe
    Likes (Received)

Joe does the same thing. It turns into a game of keep away and me fetching the ball.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads