Stubborn EBD won't walk on leash unless she wants to

esbuff

Oct 3, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Daphne
We adopted a 3yo EBD 2weeks ago, our second. She loves to ride in the car. When she sees her leash she gets really excited and jumps and circles. Once outside when she realizes that we are not riding in the car she'll just stand there. No amount of coaxing or begging will get her to move.

Trying to to get her to walk to go to the bathroom can be a horrible task. I don't want to drag her to walk. If she decides she wants to walk then she'll go where she want to go. Try to change direction and she goes into statue mode. Help

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Find a very high valued treat for her... Boiled chicken, dried liver pieces, whatever, something that will make her want to move... Any work with her

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Personal trainer might be worth the money. Worked realllly well for Rudy. They are really good at training "us" to walk well. We were able to easily train Mila, even though she is deaf,by ourselves after the trainer trained us to train Rudy.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Gizmo will walk with her leash attached to her collar, however dont think about walking her in her harness. Serious stubborness !

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would make it more fun. Get a target stick and teach her to touch it...then follow it...and you can also teach a lot of fun stuff with it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Lol. When you find a solution, please let me know. I have the same issue with Dozer, he hates to walk. He will walk outsid to go pee and poop, he will walk around in the backyard, or in the front of the house, but as soon as he's done, he pulls to go back in the direction of the house, and he wants inside to go back to sleep. He's so lazy, when we try to take him on a walk, he just stops, flops down and all 4 legs go out, or he rolls on his back and totally refuses to go any further. We have to pick up his bum, and try to make him walk, but if you do, you're dragging him by his neck, so cant do that. Treats will work sometimes but not always, I have gone on walks with him before with my son and had to phone my hubby to bring the car and pick us up. When he was a puppy I could carry him home, but not anymore. Lol. His sister Blossom will walk for hours if I let her, she's always up for a walk. I feel bad because in the morning I take Blossom for a long walk around the block, and would love to take Bulldozer too, but he won't walk, so he just goes out around the house.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online