Question about Coconut oil

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
OK I had posted a question about dry skin and someone mentioned Coconut oil...So can I stick it on his dog food? If so how much? he is a year old and is 50.5 pounds, Or should I just rub some on his coat??? :confused:

I am a first time bull dog owner so i've never had to do this before.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just a little on his food is fine...

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Yes, you can put some directly into his food and you can also rub some on his coat. Sometimes I will cook their vegetables in a teaspoon of coconut oil. They really love the taste!

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
oh yes, start with just a little bit, built up to a teaspoonful a day or every couple days, too much will be a 'problem' - on your floor!!

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
Well i put some on chesty's coat, he loved it...only because he loves puppy massages!! i used to give him massages without the coconut oil so using the oil this time made no difference to him..but i did stick a teaspoon on his food /: oops hopefully he don't get the :poo: through out the night!!!

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
How often can I rub coconut oil on Chesty's coat?

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I use coconut oil on a Brie's nose and pads weekly or more if they are dry. I use it on her coat weekly as well. I don't put it in her food anymore as we use salmon oil in food. the vet said I need to be careful about her losing her curves...she loves it tho!

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
[MENTION=9236]Lisabear123[/MENTION] Chesty loves the coconut oil on his food. The salmon oil he won't do he doesn't like the fish taste of anything! And thanks for your help with how many times a week I should rub the coconut oil on his coat,nose and pads!!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I put a teaspoon full on Sheldon's food every morning he now eats all his food in the morning LOL...I also use it on his nose.

GunnyHighway

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King
Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway
Will any kind of coconut oil work or do you guys use a certain kind or brand?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We rub it on Harlea's belly when she gets a rash from the grass and we put it on her gums when she pulled a tooth out a few weeks ago and it helped it heal nicely. Also, for less mess we made a little plate of coconut oil droplets and put them in teh fridge and we just give her one of those a day as it is a solid below 76 degrees and a liquid above it.

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
[MENTION=9767]GunnyHighway[/MENTION] nice question! I got Spectrum Organic Coconut oil, i'm not sure if that's a good brand or not. But i would think just about any kind would be good. Hopefully some will respond to your question because i don't know the answer. lol

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
@Lisabear123 Chesty loves the coconut oil on his food. The salmon oil he won't do he doesn't like the fish taste of anything! And thanks for your help with how many times a week I should rub the coconut oil on his coat,nose and pads!!

I haven't found anything that Brie doesn't like yet! Lol I'm thinking you can put the coconut oil on as much as you want or is needed. It rly makes their coat soft n shiny and of course it smells god too. It's just hard for her to not lick it off her nose or pads immediately so I rub it in pretty well if I can. :)

mandymae7

Oct 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yoshi, Serenity, Cornbread, SunnyMae and Sugar
We also use coconut oil for all of our dogs. To ensure the most good and nutrients, make sure to get Organic and Virgin (or extra virgin). Also, if it's in a plastic container be sure that it is a BPA free container. We purchase ours from Vitacost and it's the most pure we have found at a decent price. If you purchase from a local store, it is either not virgin or organic or it's not in a BPA free container. If it's a health food store, it's very expensive. We put about a tablespoon in for our Mastiffs and about a teaspoon in for everyone else. The babies get just a little bit split between them. We also add it to them on their skin/coat and it makes them so soft, smooth and it smells really nice, too!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
At our health food store its only 2 dollars more for the coconut oil versus in the store here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.