Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Very interesting. I have no sort of restraint for Rocco currently, he just lays on the back seat usually. This could be something to look into...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks Pati
... I remember reading this and thought to post, but obviously never did. I was very surprised too at the results We used the harness with seat belt for a few years thinking we were doing a good thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Very eye-opening article. I have used a harness to strap-in the boys as well but not consistently. I think crating a dog is considered the "safest", isn't it?

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Saw this article too...very interesting. We harness Koozer in the back seat and realized this should do the trick for those low speed impacts. At high speed crashes, well, I think we are all doomed, seatbelted in or not. Morbid I know...guess it's my job:blush2:

OP
Pati Robins

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Years ago ,i don't know how true is that neither so don't hold me on that,but it makes sense,i was told that some sort of restraint (be it crate or harness) is helpful in a crashes -as we humans (well majority of us) go in a state of a shock ,same goes to animals -they can bite then ,and rescue crew (or a passer by) can have a problem with rescuing us
That is also why i always tried to restrain my dogs apart from when they are pups
With being doomed -i think you are right here
I was looking at another crash test at 40mph with a van loaded with 1 ton of sand (to represent tools that tradesmen would carry etc) on the middle of the van -sand pushed it way through the seat - thank God front seats where boarded up to stop sand bag destroying them fully -and killing the (dummy) driver
So im trying to imagine what would happen to a wire dog crate ... I would assume it would most likely be crashed
We will never win ;-(

Last edited:

lovemydog

Apr 16, 2013
Wichita, KS
Country
Hong Kong
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus (2011-2013), Orrla (2009-2020), Dugall
Funny story about harness. One day, when Angus was grooming, we talked with the salesperson regarding dog safey, we end up bought a harness for him. Once we got into the parking lot, and let Angus tried it on, within 1 min, he struggled and removed the harness. I must be put it incorrectly. Second time, he got it off in 20 sec, and he was so mad, he chewed the plastic buckle in pieces. That's the end of a brand new harness and we didn't even have time to start the car.
For our own safety, there's a 'glass breaker and seatbelt cutter' for driver and passengers that we suppose to keep it close when we are in the vehicle. That made me thinking about my dogs, I would rather they can escape even if they are injured.
To protect them from flying to the winshield, I've been using a metal car barrier for awhile, finally found one which is suitable for sedan (my only vehicle) and not made of pvc. To increase security, I used climbing ropes tied to both of the front seat, then I put cartoon boxes between the back seat and the barrier, to prevent them stepping into the gap. My car doesn't look good, but safety first.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.