Crate or not to crate....that is the question.

esbuff

Oct 3, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Daphne
What do you guys do with your EBD when you leave for work? What about at night when you go to bed? Our last EBD slept in the bed with us. We are trying not to do that with our new girl.

Right now now she gets a long peace of our hallway when we leave the house and sleeps in our bedroom floor on her bed at night.

Recently she she has started to get very restless at night and is up and down, left side of the our bed on the floor, right side of our bed on the floor. Sitting in the closet. Sitting next to the wall. I'm a light sleeper so she's keeping me up all night.

Help...for her sanity and mine

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I would crate her. My baby is almost 11 mos old and we just started letting him sleep on the couch at night. We still crate him when we leave for work in the morning but he is soon let out by the steady stream of children in and out of the house throughout the day. I feel that they are a breed that easily bores and thus leads to trouble. I feel safer knowing he is in his crate safe until someone can watch him. Good luck.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Until he was past the 2-year gnawing stage -- and I worked outside the home at the time -- Dudley was crated. He was crated at night too, but he's never given me a problem since he was about 2, so he has the "run" of the house. A term I use loosely, because honestly, when I'm not here, I think he pretty much hangs out on the couch, the chair or his crate -- which we leave open. At night, he usually sleeps on the couch, chair, ottoman or crate -- again, with door open. Sometimes, he'll get up and switch locations, but that's about it. He appears to really sleep at night. I'd love it if he would sleep upstairs with me, but a bunch of hangers fell off the closet door handle once and he won't venture into my room without a great deal of coaxing...and heaven forbid he see a hanger!

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Is your hallway able to be shut off, Ours has a door to the main living area and then of course all the bedrooms and bathroom, so we just shut all doors including the one to the living area and that's where he stays instead of the crate. I put his bed at the end between our bedroom door and our sons, and that's where he sleeps as well! He likes it, if we are up but my son is in bed he goes and lays halfway down the hallway on his own, or if anyone of us is in our room but someone is still up he will lay halfway down the hall. Ollie was the same way up and down at night so that's why we started having him sleep in the hallway, and actually I think he likes it better, he comes in the bed when we first come to bed but then after 10 mins he looks at my husband and sits on the end of the bed untill he gets up and tells him lets go to bed, then he hops down, and lays on his bed in the hall, we shut our door and everyone sleeps well!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I totally agree with Kathleen. We also crate trained our two guys from day one, they are crated at night to sleep, and during the day when we aren't at home. They are free for most of the day, as there is usually someone home most days, whether it's me or my son, and only crated if we have to go out. They don't mind being in their crates, they like to sleep in there and it's a safe place for them when they can't be supervised. My guys would eat anything not nailed down, if given the chance. Lol. You can still leave her in the hallway if she is okay, and good, and doesn't chew anything like the drywall, or the wall trim. If she's okay being out during the day and you can trust her, then it's fine to continue to do so. By crating her at night, you will both get a better nights sleep.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I would crate as well. It gives you peace of mind. My guy gets crated at night for bed and when nobody is home. As stated above, they get easily bored and get themselves into trouble. Better to avoid that while unsupervised. If I knew Rocco would not chew on anything, make a mess, or potty on the floor, I wold think twice. But he can't be trusted lol

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
We have never had a problem with Otis UNTIL recently, for some reason he is waking up in the middle of the night whining - I think it's for attention. He sleeps in our bed and it is driving us crazy - wondering if anyone has ideas on what to do, he has only ever slept in our bed. Signed....EB owner not getting any sleep.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We have crated Harlea from day one. She also has a large play pen by our large patio door that we will keep her in if we have a very short errand to run or if she is home with me while I am working. However, if I am not working or someone else is at home she has run of the house except for the bedrooms as she likes to get under the beds and try to get up in the box springs like the cats have done.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
When Brie became fully housebroken we stopped crating her at night and let her sleep on the bed. Whenever we go anywhere tho, she is crated. Better to help protect her and prevent issues.

OP
E

esbuff

Oct 3, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Daphne
Anyone feel guilty about having them in a crate all of the time....I mean for those of us who work that puts them in the crate from bedtime 10pm until 4pm when you get back home from work. With of course the exception for eating and bathroom breaks.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My bullies go in their crate at night time (or when we will be gone for more than an hour). And honestly, I think they are happy to go in there at night time (sometimes Tank whines at the laundry room door when he is ready to go to bed, that's were their crates are). It gives them both a space that is "theirs" and a place that I can safely keep them when we will be gone for a while.

We have fostered many breeds of dogs over the years and getting a puppy "crate trained" is the hardest thing to do (and go through, because they cry and whine at first!) but once they accept that as their space, it's really a good thing in my opinion :)

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
Dually is crate trained although he never goes in there anymore. I really only used the crate when I first got him at 9 months of age. Wasnt sure how he would do with the 2 boxers so I figured better safe than sorry. However, he never slept in the crate he always sleeps in bed with us. Sometimes he will jump off the bed and lay in his crate but he always comes back to the bed, paws on the side and whines until I pick him back up (not an easy task to lift a 55lb dog at 2am when your sound a sleep).

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
I would crate. Stinky goes in a crate when were not at home and at night he sleeps in another crate in my bedroom. I have never had a dog that didn't use a crate.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
I have Loki's Kennel next to me at night he loves being close to us and will hang out on the bed until I roll over then he knows that it is bed time. He rarely will get up and leave the room during the night he might leave his kennel and go to the floor to cool himself. During the day we bring his kennel out of our room and put it in the hallway. He has free access to the main floor during the day minus our room. We feel that he is more comfortable when he can go investigate noises that happen through out the day.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online