Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default What a Relief

We just had our biggest moment of relief since we have had Harlea. As many of you know 2 months ago Harlea developed Pano in her right hind leg and limped for almost 10 days before she would put her full weight on it again and then it happened again last month. The only trigger that we could identify was that the episodes happened the morning after we had given Harlea her heart worm pill for the month. So on to the good news. We gave Harlea her heart worm the other day and she was not limping the next morning! We are so happy that she did not have to go through it again and can rule out the heart worm as the cause of the flareups finally. The only other thing we changed is that we transitioned her from Fromm's Puppy Gold over to Pork and & Peas as something to try on our vets recommendation due to it having a bit less fat and more protein than the puppy food. So we did a very slow 4 week transition to the new food. Did it have any affect? I don't have a clue but it is entirely possible.

We know that we aren't out of the woods yet as Pano can flare up at any time over the course of the next 19 months and then randomly throughout her life but this is a little glimmer of hope for us and such a joy to not see my baby in pain for a third of the month.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What a Relief

I'm so glad to hear she is ok..a glimmer of hope is all you need! She is a beautiful n healthy bully and will be just fine! At least you know what is going on w her leg and can manage flare ups!

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I'm so glad to hear it Todd... it's so crazy that the wrong food can cause so many issues!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Dog Health Article

Symptoms of Growing Pains (Panosteitis) in Dogs

Introduction

Panosteitis, or growing pains, is a disease that can occur suddenly in young growing dogs. It is not known what causes the disease or what conditions promote the occurrence of the disease. The disease does seem to strike larger breeds, such as German Shepherds and Great Danes, more often, and it normally appears between 6 to 16 months of age. The symptoms of panosteitis in dogs are caused by the severe and debilitating pain that is associated with this disease.

Symptoms of Panosteitis

Panosteitis affects the long bones in the dog’s legs, particularly the areas of the growing shaft of the bone. The severe symptoms of this disease appear quickly and without warning. Young dogs that experience panosteitis will suddenly start to go lame; the lameness can change from one leg to the next or involve multiple legs at once. Additional symptoms include fever, lack of appetite, and obvious signs of pain in the legs when the legs are touched.

The sudden onset of the disease, and the obvious suffering that it causes, can understandably frighten concerned pet owners. Fortunately, panosteitis can be diagnosed quickly through x-rays of the affected limbs. Treatment consists of pain medications and rest throughout the duration of the disease; the course of the disease generally lasts between two to five months.

If your young dog is displaying any symptoms of panosteitis, take your dog to a veterinarian immediately. While the disease is not life threatening, the severe pain that it causes should be treated as soon as possible.

Source : This article has been provided by PetWave.com
    This information is not intended to replace the advice of a vetinarian. YouPet disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information. For more information view our Terms of Service.

I'm so glad Harlea is feeling better, I looked up Pano, and it is not caused by diet changes, or medications, or anything you do. It is actually growing pains in a puppy, and is more common in larger boned breeds, and often caused by rapid growth in puppies. It is a painful, but temporary ailment in puppies, which they will outgrow. It is described as being the same as growing pains in children that disappear when they reach their teens, so Harlea will eventually outgrow this and be just fine. Pano generally disappears by 18 mos of age. I hope she continues to have improvement, and that she outgrows this soon, and feels better. Please keep us posted on how she's doing. Love, hugs and prayers for you guys.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

We are happy too. Knowing is half the battle and there is so little known about Pano itself other than it is considered growing pains and brought on by rapid growth and while it is possible I highly doubt that changing her food had any direct affect on her not having an flareup this time around. However, it is weird when you look at the xrays as you can see an obvious difference in bone density of the affected appendage. I think what scared us the most is that it can bounce from leg to leg over the course of it's run and that even later in life she could possibly have flareups.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

So glad little Harlea is feeling better. I think it hurts us more when our babies aren't well.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
    Likes (Received)

YAY Harlea. Hope she continues to feel good and giving you a "run" for your money!

Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them...
    Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have. -- Thom Jones

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ollie
    Likes (Received)

Glad to hear she's doing better, praying for no more flare ups!!

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Matt
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

So happy to hear the good news! How old is Harlea now?

Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fastmatt613 View Post
    So happy to hear the good news! How old is Harlea now?
    She just hit 5 months last Friday.

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Matt
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine91 View Post
    She just hit 5 months last Friday.
    Nice! Getting up there! lol. Rocco was just 4 months this past Monday. I definitely want to keep an eye out for something like this now that I am aware of it. Thanks! Hopefully Harlea has now grown out of the growing pains!

Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fastmatt613 View Post
    Nice! Getting up there! lol. Rocco was just 4 months this past Monday. I definitely want to keep an eye out for something like this now that I am aware of it. Thanks! Hopefully Harlea has now grown out of the growing pains!
    I hope you never see it as well. It scared us to death when it first happened as both times she was perfectly fine when she went to bed the night before and the next morning she couldn't put weight on her leg at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads