Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
So I noticed her eyes more runny and blinking again 2 ads ago...she has also been licking her paws a lot and I've noticed a tiny discoloration on them. No corn chip smell tho. She has been rubbing her eye against the couch, trying to rub it w her paw etc...I looked In her eyes and didn't see any divets or hue but did see something that could be an ulcer forming in her right eye, and the inside fleshy part seemed swollen.
I took her to vet yesterday who confirmed she did have one there. He said the other eye seemed ok. And the hairs she has inside don't seem to be where the ulcer is so we are chalking this up to allergies and her rubbing her eye causing an ulcer. She is taking a course of prednisone, 1 1/2 Benadryl 1-2 times daily, and an antibiotic drop 2-3 times daily in her right eye. He said also to wait til the first frost hits and see if this stuff continues then we will know it is not what is in the air, grass etc but something she is eating. I'm just grateful it isn't those hairs, but poor a Brie just looks miserable all blinky. Should I try the acv n water soak w her paws? - assuming I can get her to keep her paw in it, that is..lol or should I just leave doing extra things alone for now?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor Brie, I'm so sorry you're both going through this. Hopefully it is just environmental allergies, and will disappear after the first frost. I'm also having ragweed allergy symptoms of runny nose and eyes and sneezing, and will be glad when it goes away. Hopefully it's not her food, it's really frustrating to try to find a food that they tolerate when there are food allergies, it's just trial and error until you find a food that is tolerated and doesn't cause allergy symptoms. Our Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, grains and corn, and it took us 4 food changes before we found one that worked for her. Both our guys have been on Fromms Beef Frittata, for the past year, and do very well on this food, but we had a lot of problems with pink face, warm pink ears, itchy skin, chin acne, and itchiness, and licking of paws, when we were trying different foods. She was taking Benadryl twice a day, and I felt so bad for her, but once you find a good quality food that they tolerate its great. You can try using the apple cider vinegar, as it might help, and it is a natural product, so will not hurt her, or cause any unwanted side effects. Good luck, and I hope she feels better soon. Please keep us posted on how she's doing. Feel better sweet Brie. Sending love, hugs, and prayers from me, Bulldozer, and Blossom.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm dealing w/allergies with BOTH of my dogs, and my KIDS!!! I'm so OVER these damn tobacco barns smoking, it's making us all miserable... I hope that Brie feels better soon!!! :)

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I think I would wait till she is feeling a little better. She is on a lot of stuff right now. I can't wait till the frost either. Brutus has been waking up with goopy watery eyes every morning.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Totally sounds like environment.... The AVC will help, give it a try especially the paws so if it is grass/ragweed, you can keep it off the paws then it is not on the rugs etc in the house

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we're going to the vets tomorrow for itchy paws, ears and bum. i think i've almost foudn the right food, except NVI raw doesn't make the venison without the lamb so now we're at a stop until i try another brand that almost always has a bunch of veggies instead of just meat and bone and organs made into a patty.

i hope the vet gives us something like prednisone to help lola get a week without going spastic with the itchies. we are having a tough time sleeping because she wakes up thumping or chewing several times a night. i just feel for her, and try not to get frustrated because its not her fault.

I hope Brie feels better soon too! it would be great if it died down after the frost. one problem solved :)

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Thank you all. I'm just glad the eye issue isn't related to the hairs requiring more cryosurgery. After the first frost, if it hasn't settled, I'll use pork n peas or beef frittata instead of both and then try eliminating toppings slowly one by one n look for changes. Sadly, she could be reacting to anything and she does get a variety of fruits n veggies...so it will take some time to figure it out. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] instead of an acv soak, can I just put some acv on a warm wet wash cloth and wipe her feet or do I absolutely need to soak them? I just don't see her staying still for that lol

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you all. I'm just glad the eye issue isn't related to the hairs requiring more cryosurgery. After the first frost, if it hasn't settled, I'll use pork n peas or beef frittata instead of both and then try eliminating toppings slowly one by one n look for changes. Sadly, she could be reacting to anything and she does get a variety of fruits n veggies...so it will take some time to figure it out. @2BullyMama instead of an acv soak, can I just put some acv on a warm wet wash cloth and wipe her feet or do I absolutely need to soak them? I just don't see her staying still for that lol

Oh, oh, yeah, just wipe them off... That is what I do, warm wash cloth

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.