Scaredy Pants - Just a Phase?

• Thread starter Baxter Tiberius
  • Start date
OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

This started before the hawk incident. I really believe its the construction upstairs. The drill sounds like a dog being tortured. The pounding is right above his head. He had a nest of tranquility in my home prior to this. Nothing changed. Now everything around him is pounding. Its pissing me off because I am all about good psychological and social development for him. I don't want to deal with a dog who has terror issues.

I read a lot of stuff from Cesar and he has a whole thing about teaching your puppy confidence in settings which may otherwise scare him. There are techniques you can use, and it is a very important bonding method where the puppy views you as his pillar of security, and actually learns that you helped him lose fear of something. I loved reading about that, so I intentionally exposed Baxter to tons of things in hopes to teach him confidence, and make him *not* like those other bulldogs I saw.... that were freakishly afraid of everything. And it was working. We flew on three planes, drove to two cities, he's met tons of people, etc.

Hairdryer, push carts, brooms ... all those quirky things that bulldogs tend to shy away from, I intentionally introduced him to, and he became very relaxed with everything. I realized it was also important to me that he not be a timid fearful dog. For some reason it really bothered me when he was afraid of things. Personal issue I guess. I never liked dogs that were so skittish that they couldn't have fun or enjoy life. Seemed really unhealthy to me. I always told myself "Those owners did a bad job of raising him. They didn't expose him to things, and now he's a mess". Now these turds upstairs have made him into an emotional wreck. The hawk thing didn't help, but this was going on several days prior. And started the day construction started.

You know how dogs get with noises around their "home". Its a potential invader. A possible attack. They go on alert and it stresses them out. This construction is just drilling him nonstop I guess. Im hoping he "gets used" to the noises.

I should note: This is different than those quirky things bulldogs react to. This is running full steam out of the entire house onto the balcony when I open the fridge, or set down an empty water bottle for him to play with. Something he used to bat the living hell out of with his paws for hours.

When we have a thunderstorm out side and it's thundering, we try not to react to this and if they bark

This is a really great example. Im in Miami. We get severely violent storms that sweep in randomly. One day, one came. It was his first. He'd never seen rain nor thunder nor violent wind. He was visibly scared. So I intentionally put him in my lap, and began speaking reassuringly to him. I could see him hold back, then relax as my voice was reassuring. Instant reaction in a positive way. I slowly moved closer and closer to the open patio door, and by the time I was done, he was hopping around without a care in the world ... depite the slamming thunder and pelting rain inches away. Felt like a success. So I agree with you @Davidh .. its got to be the construction / home invader fear. I'll spend some extra time reassuring and building his confidence as the pounding continues.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We did all that with Banks and as a puppy up to about 10 months, she was overly fearless... Nothing bothered her. Then bam... One day it all changed. Plastic bags, brooms, me moving around the kitchen, open a door... Full throttle insane attack until she actually sees it is you.... 'Oh, yeah, you,live her- never mind'. And back to what she was dong.

Banks is now 8 yrs old and still does it all.

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Ugh! We have the same problem right now. Stella just turned 5 mos and all the sudden is afraid of everything! Loud noises, sudden movements, AND halloween decorations! There is a pumpkin on the the table that is next to her bed. She is barking fiercely at it and refusing to get into her bed. So frustrating because all along she has been so bold and brave. I want my tough girl back!!!

Gemma

Mar 28, 2013
Southport, UK
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
It's true, they r scared of inanimate objects and it will never go. But there is some hope... You can improve it by using treats, mine used to go ape at the vacuum cleaner, I put dog treats on it so he would come closer and when he stopped barking , running away and freaking out he was allowed to eat them. Now he's fine with the vacuum :D but the ironing board, any unfamiliar objects and of course the broom are his nemesis!

Members online

No members online now.