Bladder Stones

Lkane0322

Nov 27, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
My 8 year old sweetheart Bulldog named Bailey had urine/bladder stones years ago and needed surgery. He has been on Hills Science Diet UD food ever since to prevent them forming again. He has been 20 lbs overweight since (food is so fatty) I have done everything to make him lose weight but now i am ready to change his food to low protein because i want him to lose weight and have him live a long life!

Anybody have advice??? Please let me know???

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
I am of no help there, but I am sure that someone on here can give yo advice.. Good luck with it...

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I have never had experience with this, sorry, so I am not much help. Even though hills isn't good dog food I know its necessary for dogs with certain conditions. Was this food prescribed for Bailey's bladder issues? I would just be careful it's safe to take Bailey off of it before switching.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You could try Vegas stew with 1/2 c kibble twice a day. Vegas lost a ton of weight on this diet. I would also ask your vet what type of diet your dog needs and what your alternatives are. That food is junk, but there may be a specific reason for that diet to prevent issues.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You could try Vegas stew with 1/2 c kibble twice a day. Vegas lost a ton of weight on this diet. I would also ask your vet what type of diet your dog needs and what your alternatives are. That food is junk, but there may be a specific reason for that diet to prevent issues.

I'm with what [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] said. I always thought in humans it was important to avoid foods that were fatty and oily because it can affect the kidneys, and to really increase the amount of fresh fruit and vegetables to cleanse the whole system. However, I am no expert. I would be interested to know if there were any reason to NOT start to introduce the stew that Vegas gets from [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION].

Also, find out if your vet is recommending this food because he/she knows no better, or because there is a specific medical reason why your bullie has to have this paticular brand of food. From experience on here, I have learnt that most vets do not know anything about the food, and usually recommend the food that is crap because they are selling it or they simply do not know better!!

OP
Lkane0322

Lkane0322

Nov 27, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Thank you everyone. I am just now starting my research. The vets office promotes this food but i will def get a second opinion before changing it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online