Buying a new family member......

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Has anyone bought a new family member thru the internet. We found a breeder thru the internet and we speak almost every day and I really like her. She sends pictures all the time and I know alot about her and her family. I am still nervous.....he is being shipped (flown). My question is, yes i do have one, do I finish paying for him before "she" ships him or once he is on "ground"? I do trust her but there is still that part of my mind that worries about it.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Princess Gracie came to us thru a breeder in Missouri. We paid for her before she came here. It's a risk for sure but we felt ok with doing that. On the other hand, if I was a breeder would I ship a dog to someone I didnt know>\? Works both ways.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My only experience with an internet order was a sick, puppy mill bulldog from an importer so I would be the wrong person to ask. Her ears were bleeding and she had pneumonia- she almost died. I paid everything up front.

The thing you have to remember is that anyone can create a website with cutsie photographs (sometimes stolen off the net) and say "They are all about the bulldog" "They are our family" ect. ect. ect.

The Scammers do it everyday. I will NEVER purchase a puppy over the internet ever again, I will drive 150 miles to Phoenix instead if I were to ever get a puppy. I will only purchase where I can physically see the enviornment the puppy is coming from. I don't want to scare you, but anytime you purchase over the net you are taking a HUGE risk.

I would think there would be some local breeders in Mobile?

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Has she given you references and have you checked them out? That's kind of my only suggestion to ease your fears. Other than that...you've said you've talked a lot...suggest a deposit now with payment in full on delivery or something like that?

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
Where is the puppy located? maybe if its close to one of our members they could go check things out for you. I also dont think most if not all breeders would ship a puppy not paid for. If that is the case ask to pay through paypal and then you should be covered for the purchase if anything is fishy.... Good luck..

OP
2bulliefamily

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Thanks for all the advice. I do try to put myself in her shoes knowing I would not ship him before payment. It's tough because I do know someone could go in and create a fake website. Yes she provided references and vet information/reference. I feel very comfortable, so far, with this whole experience but there is still that little part of me that will be super nervous waiting for him at the airport.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
If you've checked out the references and you've talked to her and she's sending you pictures, etc., I'd say you'll be fine. We had Arrow, our St. Bernard, shipped from Ill. to Az. By the time he arrived I had become friends with the breeder. She was very thorough and made sure we were BOTH comfortable with each other. It takes trust on both your parts. I really doubt this breeder would take all the time and effort to send you repeated pictures and numerous phone conversations if she wasn't on the level. Scams are vague and want their money quick, so they can move on to their next victim.

OP
2bulliefamily

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Thanks! I am pretty positive you are right. She will even "text" us to tell us she has sent pictures and does that often. We also emailed each other back at forth when we were both at work so i have her work email address as well and yes I feel like I have built a friendship and can seeing staying in touch with her afterwards. Actually, I cannot wait to share pictures with her of "him" being here versus there. I think my nervousness is more anxiousness ;). Now this week, is getting Lola ready for her brother and buying all the fun stuff for him and some treats for her. Oh and a name, we must come to an agreement on the name, so far we are not agreeing there.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
[MENTION=1505]2bulliefamily[/MENTION] Be very careful and do your homework... make sure it is a legit breeder that has a history and a good reputation, otherwise it is not worth the risk.

I got scammed over the internet and I would not wish that experience on anyone... In my case it was a registered breeder, but he did not have the history and reputation. He had grand plans, but was living beyond his means and had to sell more puppies than he could deliver, and it snowballed into a big ugly scam.

I agree with Pendragon, most if not all breeders will require a deposit to hold a puppy, then full payment prior to shipping... that's why it is so important to make sure the breeder has a positive history and reputation.

OP
2bulliefamily

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Thanks Telly03. I hope I have done my homework especially since I did put down a deposit. I will be nervous until the gets here!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'd be nervous too ... and I'm with [MENTION=18]Pendragon[/MENTION] If they are anywhere near me I'd be happy to go and check the place out for you. where is the breeder located?

OP
2bulliefamily

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Thanks everyone...guess I will be just nervous until he is in my hands. Now if we can agree on a name! The breeder is about 2 hours from St. Louis.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I found our breeder through channels within different sites on the internet. But we met with her and spoke on the phone several times so our experience was good.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.