Travel Anxiety Advice/Remedies....

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
This weekend we went to the Poconos to visit some friends and see their beautiful new home. Being the well behaved love muffin that she is, Raven was also invited. Well the car ride is approximately 2 hours. When we got in the car not too long into the drive she got really antsy and started panting and just overall agitated. Maybe an hour into the ride she settled down, she didn't sleep or want to look out the window. My son kept her head on his lap and kept rubbing her and saying sweet nothings to her. I thought that wasn't so bad. I figured a day and a half later on our return trip she would be much better...oy that was such a misconception. She started her panting and restlessness and agitation maybe 30 minutes into the ride. By the time we were on the last half hour stretch home she was down right nutty. It was like if she was having an anxiety attack. Scared me something awful. Once we pulled in to the drive way I let her loose asap. She just rant to the back door and was like hurry up and let me in. It took a while for her to settle down. Her breathing was so harsh, she literally sounded like she ran a marathon. I got so worried that I squeezed some lemon juice into her mouth because she sounded down right raspy. It broke my heart in the car hearing her having what seemed like an anxiety attack, she was whining, weezing and making this weird sound.

So my questions to you all are: 1) how do you get your bully to have an anxiety free ride? and 2) do you give them any meds if you need to travel with them?

I definitely see us traveling to visit our friends again as well as wanting to take some vacations that are in driving distance so we can take her. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Raven sounds just like my girl, Banks.... we had to get her Xanax. Anything over an hour and we give her 1/2 or a whole tablet 20 mins. prior to leaving.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
How often is Raven in the car? Since he day I got him (which was a 4.5 hour drive each way), Rocco hasbeen in the car regularly, like almost every day. I try and take him with me wherever I can. That being said, he doesn't mind the car at all. If he's not sleeping, he's trying to drive on my lap, or look out the window. Realizing your geographical location, I'm sure you do not get many opportunities to take her in the car (or really need to for that fact), but I think if she can get more familiar with it, she won't be so anxious/nervous in the car. But that is just an assumption based on my own experience. Hopefully someone who has dealt with this personally can chime in.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How often is Raven in the car? Since he day I got him (which was a 4.5 hour drive each way), Rocco hasbeen in the car regularly, like almost every day. I try and take him with me wherever I can. That being said, he doesn't mind the car at all. If he's not sleeping, he's trying to drive on my lap, or look out the window. Realizing your geographical location, I'm sure you do not get many opportunities to take her in the car (or really need to for that fact), but I think if she can get more familiar with it, she won't be so anxious/nervous in the car. But that is just an assumption based on my own experience. Hopefully someone who has dealt with this personally can chime in.

Yep she doesn't go in there much. We have a nice sized yard so she gets to play there. I don't do the doggie parks because you never know what you will find there. I think I am going to have to start taking her for a little short spin at least once a week to build up her tolerance.

Thanks.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven sounds just like my girl, Banks.... we had to get her Xanax. Anything over an hour and we give her 1/2 or a whole tablet 20 mins. prior to leaving.

I may have to get some xanax and keep on hand as well. Seeing as xanax is prescription is there something else that can be used? I can speak to the vet next time I have to visit. She was really having such an attack. My son was trying to get her to look out the window and she kept shoving her face into the crease of the chair and the window and the weezing thing she was doing was scary. She got so worked up that when she got into the house she was laying there doing it for a while until I was like let me force some lemon juice into her to make sure the panting and drooling didn't cause some sort of blockage.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I may have to get some xanax and keep on hand as well. Seeing as xanax is prescription is there something else that can be used? I can speak to the vet next time I have to visit. She was really having such an attack. My son was trying to get her to look out the window and she kept shoving her face into the crease of the chair and the window and the weezing thing she was doing was scary. She got so worked up that when she got into the house she was laying there doing it for a while until I was like let me force some lemon juice into her to make sure the panting and drooling didn't cause some sort of blockage.

Yes, Banks does the saem. Face pushed into the seat or she tries her darnest to fit UNDER the seat. ou have to try and ignore her when she is in the car, just let her be and find where she is comfortable... maybe bring her crate if possible. Banks, nothing works, we really just limit her car rides to vet appointments or an occaisonal bulldog meet up

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, Banks does the saem. Face pushed into the seat or she tries her darnest to fit UNDER the seat. ou have to try and ignore her when she is in the car, just let her be and find where she is comfortable... maybe bring her crate if possible. Banks, nothing works, we really just limit her car rides to vet appointments or an occaisonal bulldog meet up

At present her only real car rides tend to be if she has a vet appointment or I take her to visit my dad, which is also limited because he has a Shih Tzu that is not neutered that likes to hump her. On the way up I ignored her and let her settle down. I had hoped it would be the same on the return but it sure didn't happen. Can't take her crate because we got rid of the SUV and have a regular mid-sized sedan so family outings means she gets to ride on the seat with the kids in the back or on my lap. I have to work it out because I want to include her in family outings/vacations when we can. The alternative would be to kennel her if and when we vacation and I don't really want to do that either. I would happily leave her with my dad if it weren't for his dog that is a humping machine.

B

Baxter Tiberius

1) how do you get your bully to have an anxiety free ride?
Frequent short trips are my best advice.
With reassurances the whole time :)
Also a chew toy in Baxters case. He needs something to occupy him.
Calm, quiet music seems to help as well.

2) do you give them any meds if you need to travel with them?
When we drove from San Diego to Phoenix, I just made sure to stop every hour, on the dot, and let him go to the bathroom and play.
This worked like a charm. Regarding anxiety, Benadryl (1mg per lb max) is always a last option.
It will put them to sleep/rest. But make sure they have water because it dehydrates.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
At present her only real car rides tend to be if she has a vet appointment or I take her to visit my dad, which is also limited because he has a Shih Tzu that is not neutered that likes to hump her. On the way up I ignored her and let her settle down. I had hoped it would be the same on the return but it sure didn't happen. Can't take her crate because we got rid of the SUV and have a regular mid-sized sedan so family outings means she gets to ride on the seat with the kids in the back or on my lap. I have to work it out because I want to include her in family outings/vacations when we can. The alternative would be to kennel her if and when we vacation and I don't really want to do that either. I would happily leave her with my dad if it weren't for his dog that is a humping machine.

we are on the same exact boat.... Xanax will help. We tried everything before going that route...toys, bones, crate, food... Nothing worked

Tarheel5

Mar 4, 2012
Greenville,SC
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger & Bailey ( Rita rbb)
It may sound silly and gross but I was told by a breeder the best way to cool you bully when the overheat due to travel or anything for that matter is hold a ice cube against there rectum and it calms the down and cools them til there comfortable

jack

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It may sound silly and gross but I was told by a breeder the best way to cool you bully when the overheat due to travel or anything for that matter is hold a ice cube against there rectum and it calms the down and cools them til there comfortable

jack

really? I never heard of that....

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You have already been given lots of great advice and suggestions. My guys have been going for car rides since we got them, we usually take them wherever we go, and we drive to the river and trail behind our house at least once a day for them to go on a run, so they are used to the car, and actually love carries, they get so excited when you say the car or park word. Lol. You could try taking her on short and more frequent car rides, even if its just around the block to get her used to being in the car. I agree maybe just leaving her more alone, to just lay and relax, try a blanket on the seat, or in her crate with a blanket. Try frequent breaks on a long trip to stretch her legs, and to go potty. But if these things don't work for her, it is still possible to go on vacations with her, but get a prescription for something from the vet to calm her down and help her relax. For shorter day trips, maybe a dog sitter, or a stay at a play place for dogs would help.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
There is an all natural drop called rescue remedy after Loki's seizures we were giving it to him quite a bit to help keep him calm. It worked like a charm I think building up tolerance to car rides is critical find a walking path or park that is close to home then gradually go further out. Loki LOVES the car because normally where ever we end up we make it fun so that he looks forward to riding in the car. Hope all the tips help there is something more stressful then driving with an upset bully.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You know what's funny...you would think that she would be scared of the car and give it a wide berth. Sunday I had my younger sister over for a visit and when it was time to take her home I grabbed Ravens harness and leash. She know that means the car because I never have to use it to go outside to the backyard. She didn't run and hide, she actually looked excited. Got the harness on and snapped on the leash. I told her we were going for a ride to see grandpa and she was all nubby wagging. Went outside and she couldn't wait for me to open the car door. She hopped in quick as pie. I shocked because I know she isn't a big fan of the car. The ride is about 12 minutes round trip. On the way there she panted some and when we got there she couldn't get out fast enough. We spent about 10 minutes tops at my parents, at that point she wanted to leave because my dad's shih tzu was annoying her with the humping. She happily got in the car and we rode home with some panting. So at least I know she isn't totally traumatized. Totally going to keep taking her for rides around to get her comfy.

Thanks for all the help. I am so hoping to be able to avoid having to give her any meds. I did look at the homeopathic stuff but wasn't sure if they were really effective because I saw so many conflicting reviews.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Well I don't know if this is suitable and I would ask my vet first, but I give my skin kids benedryl for car sickness on the advice of my pediatrician. It works like a charm. No car sickness and they are nice and calm for long car trips. MY two girls get really bad car sickness. Maybe this could apply to dogs as well?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.