Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
[MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION] hahaha I love that picture! I could see Chumley and Chesty causing some trouble together!! lol

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
Oh yes he did, Sneaky little piglet :tongue:

Last edited:

HeyBulldog

Apr 4, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Hey all - I by no means want to be a downer here so if your not in the mood for that sort of thing, please back out now... but I wanted to share a very unfortunate story here if for no other reason, then to hopefully avoid having it happen to anyone else.

The short story is my wife and I lost our last dog to a Doritos bag in a tragic accident and left us shocked both that it could happen and then to find out just how common it is.

The longer story is our last dog, a Collie / Shepard mix was a rescue. He was bait in a dog fighting ring, poor thing, was barely alive when the authorities busted the ring and our dog, like some others, were thrown to the local shelter and then picked up by a rescue organization. They rehabilitated a few of the dogs back to health over the span of 2 years, lost some others that were just in too bad of shape, and in the end we found, fell in love with, and adopted our very appropriately named 'Lucky'.

Lucky was spoiled by us to the furthest extents, in a way I guess we were trying to make up for his 'lost years' of the unfortunate circumstance he was in. He had parts of his body (paws, wail, legs & belly) that were permanently hairless and scarred along with what ended up being the most tragic ailment - a constant scavenger, no doubt from being starved to practical death for so long. No matter how much I worked with him - he would not get over his counter surfing and scavenging ways.

So one night we went out to meet a few friends for drinks, we locked lucky in the kitchen (no crate - ugh!) like we had done the thousands of times before. Unfortunately the trash can, which we always removed from the kitchen, was a necks-reach away and on the top of that can was a Doritos bag with some cheesy dust and a few crumbs. Piecing the scene back together, we figure Lucky got into the bag for a quick fix and got himself in so deep (literally) in the bag that he couldn't pull it back off, and suffocated & died. We came home only a few hours later and found him. The moment we found him literally and figuratively haunts me and my wife to this day (this happened about a year ago now).

I called my vet a few days after the accident to close his file and I was so surprised to hear that this is not entirely uncommon. The vet actually told me - bags and jars are probably some of the most dangerous items in the house for dogs' with nasty habits like Lucky had. She explained that a dog will get themselves in a bag, a jar, a wide mouth bottle and be all worked up over the tasty morsels and not realize they are not getting oxygen... they are suffocating and they don't even know it. Then they realize something is wrong - they panic; and if they cant get out of that situation within just a few seconds to a minute, they end up like our lost one.

So as a PSA and my new common practices with Murray and ANY other dog we will have into the future: 1) Our food is OUR food, the dog is not even let allowed to think that it can become their food 2) If I cant see 'em - the dogs' are in their crates. I kick myself to this day that we never bothered to crate train Lucky 3) every item that has a 'bottom' to it, gets cut or punctured before it hits the trash. You just NEVER know what can happen and I would much rather come home to a dog with a Doritos scarf then what we came home to that night.

Sorry to be such a downer, I really am, but the subject line of this post brought back the memory and again, I just want to make sure none of you ever have to experience loss from something like this. If my spreading the story can save another furry friend, our loss is not in vain.

I'm sure Lucky looks down on us and is thankful for all that we did for him in the few years we knew him, but it doesn't make it any easier to go one without him. Miss you buddy....

DSC_0010.jpg

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
[MENTION=8526]HeyBulldog[/MENTION] i'm very sorry for your loss that is such a sad story, and it's great that you shared your story, But chesty wasn't left alone very long maybe 30 to 45 seconds while I went to get a bottle of water out of the fridge, Chesty usually doesn't get in the trashcan, but we also cut the bottom off bags just in case he or any other animal would get stuck in a bag and any jar or bottles go straight out to the recycle bin. again sorry for your loss RIP Lucky!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Hey all - I by no means want to be a downer here so if your not in the mood for that sort of thing, please back out now... but I wanted to share a very unfortunate story here if for no other reason, then to hopefully avoid having it happen to anyone else.

The short story is my wife and I lost our last dog to a Doritos bag in a tragic accident and left us shocked both that it could happen and then to find out just how common it is.

The longer story is our last dog, a Collie / Shepard mix was a rescue. He was bait in a dog fighting ring, poor thing, was barely alive when the authorities busted the ring and our dog, like some others, were thrown to the local shelter and then picked up by a rescue organization. They rehabilitated a few of the dogs back to health over the span of 2 years, lost some others that were just in too bad of shape, and in the end we found, fell in love with, and adopted our very appropriately named 'Lucky'.

Lucky was spoiled by us to the furthest extents, in a way I guess we were trying to make up for his 'lost years' of the unfortunate circumstance he was in. He had parts of his body (paws, wail, legs & belly) that were permanently hairless and scarred along with what ended up being the most tragic ailment - a constant scavenger, no doubt from being starved to practical death for so long. No matter how much I worked with him - he would not get over his counter surfing and scavenging ways.

So one night we went out to meet a few friends for drinks, we locked lucky in the kitchen (no crate - ugh!) like we had done the thousands of times before. Unfortunately the trash can, which we always removed from the kitchen, was a necks-reach away and on the top of that can was a Doritos bag with some cheesy dust and a few crumbs. Piecing the scene back together, we figure Lucky got into the bag for a quick fix and got himself in so deep (literally) in the bag that he couldn't pull it back off, and suffocated & died. We came home only a few hours later and found him. The moment we found him literally and figuratively haunts me and my wife to this day (this happened about a year ago now).

I called my vet a few days after the accident to close his file and I was so surprised to hear that this is not entirely uncommon. The vet actually told me - bags and jars are probably some of the most dangerous items in the house for dogs' with nasty habits like Lucky had. She explained that a dog will get themselves in a bag, a jar, a wide mouth bottle and be all worked up over the tasty morsels and not realize they are not getting oxygen... they are suffocating and they don't even know it. Then they realize something is wrong - they panic; and if they cant get out of that situation within just a few seconds to a minute, they end up like our lost one.

So as a PSA and my new common practices with Murray and ANY other dog we will have into the future: 1) Our food is OUR food, the dog is not even let allowed to think that it can become their food 2) If I cant see 'em - the dogs' are in their crates. I kick myself to this day that we never bothered to crate train Lucky 3) every item that has a 'bottom' to it, gets cut or punctured before it hits the trash. You just NEVER know what can happen and I would much rather come home to a dog with a Doritos scarf then what we came home to that night.

Sorry to be such a downer, I really am, but the subject line of this post brought back the memory and again, I just want to make sure none of you ever have to experience loss from something like this. If my spreading the story can save another furry friend, our loss is not in vain.

I'm sure Lucky looks down on us and is thankful for all that we did for him in the few years we knew him, but it doesn't make it any easier to go one without him. Miss you buddy....

View attachment 57492

Thank you for sharing your tragic story many of us know our bullies and take steps to reduce such risk. I myself crush any and all cans and bags get cut up even though our trash can is enclosed in a cabinet you just never know! Again I am so sorry for your loss and thank you this warns me to double check the trash just to make sure everyone is doing their part.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

HeyBulldog

Apr 4, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
@HeyBulldog i'm very sorry for your loss that is such a sad story, and it's great that you shared your story, But chesty wasn't left alone very long maybe 30 to 45 seconds while I went to get a bottle of water out of the fridge, Chesty usually doesn't get in the trashcan, but we also cut the bottom off bags just in case he or any other animal would get stuck in a bag and any jar or bottles go straight out to the recycle bin. again sorry for your loss RIP Lucky!

Oh I'm sure you are and were a responsible parent - no question! I never meant for the post to be a wag of the finger (no pun intended), it was merely reflectional. Sorry if it came off that way!

Believe me, as an owner of a 9 month old bully who gets into EVERYTHING, I share my own experiences of Murray getting into stuff pretty much constantly.

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:droolers::gimmefood:Lol. My two guys would totally do the same thing, only they would have ripped open the bag, chips everywhere, and then clean them up by inhaling the chips like a Hoover. I'll share a funny story about what happened to Blossom last year when she was just a puppy. My Grandson had been at my house, and my hubby bought him a big bag of penny candies from the bulk barn, there was gummy bears, gummy worms, sour keys, sour peaches, and a bag of chocolate Maltesers. We gave him a few pieces the night before, and then I didn't want him having anymore, so I his the bag in the magazine rack in the living room. It is a red leather shaped bag, that holds magazines, so it is deep. We got up in the morning, took them out, fed them, and then went back to bed, as my hubby works nights and it was my day off. After a few minutes, we hear rustling downstairs, and thought maybe the cat was into the garbage, but she has never done this before, so we go downstairs to see what it was. We find that Blossom was out of the crate ( hubby hadn't locked the door properly) and she found that bag of candy, she managed to open all the plastic bags, all 7 of them, but did t eat the bags, but she inhaled all of the candy, including the chocolate, which freaked me out, because chocolate is poisonous to dogs. I picked her up, and we drove right to the vet, they took her right away, and the vet put some drops in her eye, which she said would make her throw up within 5 mins. We placed her on the floor, and she threw up 5 bowls of candy, the vet said she never saw so much candy come out of a dog before. The last thing she threw up was all her kibble from breakfast which she said was a great sign as this was the first thing she had eaten, and since it came back up it meant her stomach was empty. She was fine, but she is still a Hoover when it comes to food, and would eat herself to death if she had the opportunity. We have to watch her when she eats, because she inhales her, and then tries to eat Dozers food, and she also knows how to open the kibble storage bin, and will crawl inside with her front paws and head and start to inhale the food in there. She's hilarious , she acts like we never feed her. I think it's a bully thing, they are so food motivated. Lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

View attachment 57492

What a great piece of information to share... So incredibly sorry for your tragic loss... Lucky was a beautiful boy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
[MENTION=8526]HeyBulldog[/MENTION] I know you weren't pointing fingers or anything. I very much appreciate your information and story! it's good information to know that those things can happen, And again i'm sorry for your loss Lucky was a very lucky boy that such a loving family saved him and loved him to pieces <3

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] OH my! that had to be the scariest thing ever! And yes I will agree that almost all English Bulldogs are motivated by food chesty loves to eat he will do about any trick or play the cute card for a treat or a table scrap.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, HeyBulldog, I am so very sorry for your loss of Lucky. It must have been a shock, and I can't imagine what you must be feeling and going through. Sending you guys a hug, love and prayers. It was a tragic accident, that no one could predict, and I thank you for sharing your story and your pain, to remind us all of the dangers from bags, that we may have never thought of. It's a reminder to us all that accidents can happen in an eyeblink, and can also be avoided by cutting the bags, and disposing of them. These things can also be applied to children as well. If even one beloved pet or even a loved one can be saved from a tragic accident, then you sharing your story and experience is great. Thank you again, and so sorry for your loss. RIP, sweet Lucky

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online