Our lil Bert starting to munch on the couch

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
Well, my pup is just 10weeks old and he's starting to eat the couch. Vet said we couldn't give him a toy until he's atleast 4months old and his tummy problems get a lil better. Should we just let him eat our couch?LOL. Can i give him a wood plank or something hehe. I have no idea what to do.

bert eating couch.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Why could you not give him a toy? [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]. ... Can you think of something he can have, nylabone maybe?

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I don't understand why he can't have a toy but definitely do not allow him to chew on the couch

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I brought two of my babies home at 9 weeks and they had tons of toys here waiting for them. Tummy problems have nothing to do with most toys unless it's toys you put treats in. Puppies need to chew, puppy kongs and nylabones are perfectly okay for any puppy even from 3 to 4 weeks old.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would say you should at least get him something... he's going to destroy your house if you don't!!!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Its time to change a vet!
Toys are great way to redirect attention from unwanted chewing on a furniture
Its also good for their teeth -once they start teething they will need it ,and great for their own development mental stimulation and bonding through play x

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
At that age hard rubber toys are best, and I'm also confused as to why no toys. Unless the vet doesn't want any bacteria to be ingested. In that case, wash the toys often in dish soap and rinse them well. Or toss them in the dishwasher or boil them in hot water to remove any bacteria. But no toys??? No way!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm sorry to be happy bert is chewing the couch, but to me that is a sign he is feeling better. Yay!

OP
elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
I always ask mom to buy him tons of toys cause he really likes to play a lot. Mom said he gave him a turtle stuff toy to chew on but removed it after having those tummy problems. Now since he.dont have anything to chew on he swallows anybodys big toe,all of it! Or go and munch on the couch.Ok so you guys recommend a rubber or plastic toy that's washable.got it! I.hope.i can find something safe without lead. Can i give him big bones of a cow(my english sucks).Theres A lot of recalls on baby toys,so i hope the dog toys available here are safe.

Yes he now weighs 1.75kg from 1.5.yaaaaay!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I always ask mom to buy him tons of toys cause he really likes to play a lot. Mom said he gave him a turtle stuff toy to chew on but removed it after having those tummy problems. Now since he.dont have anything to chew on he swallows anybodys big toe,all of it! Or go and munch on the couch.Ok so you guys recommend a rubber or plastic toy that's washable.got it! I.hope.i can find something safe without lead. Can i give him big bones of a cow(my english sucks).Theres A lot of recalls on baby toys,so i hope the dog toys available here are safe.

No plastic, just hard rubber, and make sure it's bigger than his entire mouth.

Big bones of a cow, sounds like marrow bones? [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] would you recommend if he's having tummy trouble?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Yes, cleaned cow bones are a good choice, I would not give him with the marrow or flesh till the tummy troubles clear up

Zoebug

Aug 25, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moola , Gracie , Gabby and Lula Belle
I say you buy your new puppy some toys and find your puppy a new vet. I have worked in a vet clinic for 14 years and with a dog trainer and the first thing we tell them is when they chew on something of yours your take it away and replace it with a toy of his own.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I am with the others I don't understand why he couldn't have a kong or nylabone. I would think even an antler would be ok but not certain about that

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
But don't let him get in the habit of chewing on the sofa for goodness sake. Take a look at my profile and the album "alternative chew toys" and you will see what I mean

OP
elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
Thanks guys! Ok ill make sure to tell mom to buy something for him. I really dont want to sit on the floor!
When mom asked him to stop chewing on the sofa, he stopped for 5 second looked at her and started again. She tried to stop him.one more.time,he grunts in disagreement to mom spanked him once on his butt. He stopped and played with something else. Is it good to punish them ? I mean we.dunno how to do.positive/negative reinforcement on pets

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.