Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry late to this, but yes give him Nylabones or Kong hard rubber toys to play with. No greenies. raw hides, pig ears, or bully sticks.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thanks guys! Ok ill make sure to tell mom to buy something for him. I really dont want to sit on the floor!
When mom asked him to stop chewing on the sofa, he stopped for 5 second looked at her and started again. She tried to stop him.one more.time,he grunts in disagreement to mom spanked him once on his butt. He stopped and played with something else. Is it good to punish them ? I mean we.dunno how to do.positive/negative reinforcement on pets

We don't spank our boys for disciplinary purposes because we thought that would be too cruel. Instead, we use redirection methods or positive reinforcement. For example, if Stig gets all excited and starts chewing on the comforter, we tell him no and give him a stuffy or antler that he can chew on instead. If he takes the bait, then we praise and say "Good job buddy!" in a really excited voice. If he goes back to chewing the blanket, we give him a stern "No" and move his head away gently. He may try again, but after a few times, he'll get the hint and would stop. Eventually he'll start chewing on the toys around him, or bark at his brother to start roughhousing.

Last edited:
OP
elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
We don't spank our boys for disciplinary purposes because we thought that would be too cruel. Instead, we use distraction methods or positive reinforcement. For example, if Stig gets all excited and starts chewing on the comforter, we tell him no and give him a stuffy or antler that he can chew on instead. If he takes the bait, then we praise and say "Good job buddy!" in a really excited voice. If he goes back to chewing the blanket, we give him a stern "No" and move his head away gently. He may try again, but after a few times, he'll get the hint and would stop. Eventually he'll start chewing on the toys around him, or bark at his brother to start roughhousing.

Okay. I get it now. Its the first time we had a pet inside the house so we really dont know how to handle the situation. Thanks for the help friends :)

Okay.so thats how we should do it. Its the very first time were taking care of a pwt inside the house so we really dont know how to

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Okay. I get it now. Its the first time we had a pet inside the house so we really dont know how to handle the situation. Thanks for the help friends :)

Okay.so thats how we should do it. Its the very first time were taking care of a pwt inside the house so we really dont know how to

We're always here to help :)

The trick is to catch them before they do the act when you say "no". It's like when you're housetraining them, you have to look for signals that they're about to pee and poop in the house. Then right before they do their squat position, you do a dramatic "uh oh" or "no", and scurry them either to the backyard or training pads to show them that it's where they're supposed to go to do their business. Then right after you see them poop or pee, you make another over exaggerated praise "Good job buddy!" or "Good job little princess!", however you talk to them really. :yes: You can even hug them or give them a treat, as long as it shows that you're super excited that they did right! It seems a little silly at first, but you'll be so proud when they finally learn, and you won't feel silly after that.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
There is a book called "the perfect puppy" by gwen bailey i would recommend you to get is as its great in basic training and how to care for puppies ;-) i love this book

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Bullies are a totally different breed they think differently than other breeds I think, and react way better to positive reinforcement versus negative in my experience with Sheldon he reacted to training way better with positive reinforcement he loves hearing he is a good boy and hates hearing no bad boy he gets this look on his face that just breaks my heart so I redirect and praise good behavior. If you need to you can also use a spray bottle with water in it and say in a stern voice no and at the same time spray them they equate that with bad and therefore the behavior modification begins. We are all here for you!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I agree with the others concerning positive vs negative reinforcement. Bulldogs do respond to positive reinforcement quite well. Make it really happy when they do what you want and lavish on the praise. I will say never strike the dog it can lead to a host of negative consequences, corrections are fine and a really stern no seems to work well to correct negative behavior and you need to be consistent but I don't think hitting a dog is good practice

OP
elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
I'll keep that in mind and make sure everybody in the house will know how we'll be able to train bert on what he can or cannot do. Thanks again guuuuuuys!!! you really are helping me a lot all the time. i'll think of more questions.lol

OP
elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
one more thing! can we bathe him now? he's kindy stinky coz he pees and poops a lot but we dont know if he's to young for a bath??? (that didnt sound right) . i read in some forum that the bathe their dogs with JUST water, no shampoo whatsoever. im not sure if we should bathe him coz he's stinky and its really hot in the pi (most people dont have a/c in the house, we actually dont LOL) OR should we wait for him to grow a lil more.:D yep another question haha

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm sorry to be happy bert is chewing the couch, but to me that is a sign he is feeling better. Yay!

I'm soooooo with dear Rosalie on her thought...it's wonderful darling lil man is feeling better!

Vet is wrong on no toys, if bacteria is a fear then wash with hot water & soap, let air dry before
using again. Puppies MUST have stimulation (prevents boredom) and relief from pain of teething.
Hard rubber kongs and nylabones are best, soft plushies are only while Mom is watching him as
he could chew off a piece and swallow them, needing surgery to remove.

Absolutely, redirect from chewing on couch or anything you don't want him chewing on.

OP
elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
since ive read nylabones like 5x, im gonna get one for him! yaaay new toy for bert! yes he is feeling all better now [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION], one more vet visit to rule out worms and i think he'll gain a lil more weight. He's really into the Hill's prescription food, he even knows now how to ask for food! he eats like 7-8x a day :D

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
since ive read nylabones like 5x, im gonna get one for him! yaaay new toy for bert! yes he is feeling all better now @Texas Carol, one more vet visit to rule out worms and i think he'll gain a lil more weight. He's really into the Hill's prescription food, he even knows now how to ask for food! he eats like 7-8x a day :D

Bert is such a fighter, I really think most puppies would not have made it this far.
He's had to fight to survive from the minute he was born under the neglect of this
POS breeder. He impresses me and he is blessed that you & Mom saved his life!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
since ive read nylabones like 5x, im gonna get one for him! yaaay new toy for bert! yes he is feeling all better now [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION], one more vet visit to rule out worms and i think he'll gain a lil more weight. He's really into the Hill's prescription food, he even knows now how to ask for food! he eats like 7-8x a day :D

That is absolutely WONDERFUL that he is eating and gaining weight this makes me smile!!! He is lucky to have a pawrent that is willing to go to such lengths for him!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea had hard chew toys from the moment we brought her home at 8 weeks. Any time she wod chew on something she wasn't supposed to we redirect with one of her toys. I have never heard of a vet saying a pup could have toys until they turned 4 months old. You wouldn't have a house or sanity if that were the case. I think it is time to find a new vet as tbe cumulative hundreds of years of consolidated knowledge of the members of this site know differently.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.