Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Our lil Bert starting to munch on the couch

I am with the others I don't understand why he couldn't have a kong or nylabone. I would think even an antler would be ok but not certain about that

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

But don't let him get in the habit of chewing on the sofa for goodness sake. Take a look at my profile and the album "alternative chew toys" and you will see what I mean

Real Name
    Ellaine
    Country
    Philippines
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bert
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys! Ok ill make sure to tell mom to buy something for him. I really dont want to sit on the floor!
    When mom asked him to stop chewing on the sofa, he stopped for 5 second looked at her and started again. She tried to stop him.one more.time,he grunts in disagreement to mom spanked him once on his butt. He stopped and played with something else. Is it good to punish them ? I mean we.dunno how to do.positive/negative reinforcement on pets
    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Sorry late to this, but yes give him Nylabones or Kong hard rubber toys to play with. No greenies. raw hides, pig ears, or bully sticks.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Our lil Bert starting to munch on the couch

Quote Originally Posted by elairiffic View Post
    Thanks guys! Ok ill make sure to tell mom to buy something for him. I really dont want to sit on the floor!
    When mom asked him to stop chewing on the sofa, he stopped for 5 second looked at her and started again. She tried to stop him.one more.time,he grunts in disagreement to mom spanked him once on his butt. He stopped and played with something else. Is it good to punish them ? I mean we.dunno how to do.positive/negative reinforcement on pets
    We don't spank our boys for disciplinary purposes because we thought that would be too cruel. Instead, we use redirection methods or positive reinforcement. For example, if Stig gets all excited and starts chewing on the comforter, we tell him no and give him a stuffy or antler that he can chew on instead. If he takes the bait, then we praise and say "Good job buddy!" in a really excited voice. If he goes back to chewing the blanket, we give him a stern "No" and move his head away gently. He may try again, but after a few times, he'll get the hint and would stop. Eventually he'll start chewing on the toys around him, or bark at his brother to start roughhousing.
    Last edited by savemejeebus; 10-06-2013 at 08:43 PM.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Real Name
    Ellaine
    Country
    Philippines
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bert
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    We don't spank our boys for disciplinary purposes because we thought that would be too cruel. Instead, we use distraction methods or positive reinforcement. For example, if Stig gets all excited and starts chewing on the comforter, we tell him no and give him a stuffy or antler that he can chew on instead. If he takes the bait, then we praise and say "Good job buddy!" in a really excited voice. If he goes back to chewing the blanket, we give him a stern "No" and move his head away gently. He may try again, but after a few times, he'll get the hint and would stop. Eventually he'll start chewing on the toys around him, or bark at his brother to start roughhousing.
    Okay. I get it now. Its the first time we had a pet inside the house so we really dont know how to handle the situation. Thanks for the help friends

Okay.so thats how we should do it. Its the very first time were taking care of a pwt inside the house so we really dont know how to

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elairiffic View Post
    Okay. I get it now. Its the first time we had a pet inside the house so we really dont know how to handle the situation. Thanks for the help friends

Okay.so thats how we should do it. Its the very first time were taking care of a pwt inside the house so we really dont know how to
    We're always here to help

The trick is to catch them before they do the act when you say "no". It's like when you're housetraining them, you have to look for signals that they're about to pee and poop in the house. Then right before they do their squat position, you do a dramatic "uh oh" or "no", and scurry them either to the backyard or training pads to show them that it's where they're supposed to go to do their business. Then right after you see them poop or pee, you make another over exaggerated praise "Good job buddy!" or "Good job little princess!", however you talk to them really. You can even hug them or give them a treat, as long as it shows that you're super excited that they did right! It seems a little silly at first, but you'll be so proud when they finally learn, and you won't feel silly after that.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

There is a book called "the perfect puppy" by gwen bailey i would recommend you to get is as its great in basic training and how to care for puppies ;-) i love this book
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Bullies are a totally different breed they think differently than other breeds I think, and react way better to positive reinforcement versus negative in my experience with Sheldon he reacted to training way better with positive reinforcement he loves hearing he is a good boy and hates hearing no bad boy he gets this look on his face that just breaks my heart so I redirect and praise good behavior. If you need to you can also use a spray bottle with water in it and say in a stern voice no and at the same time spray them they equate that with bad and therefore the behavior modification begins. We are all here for you!

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

I agree with the others concerning positive vs negative reinforcement. Bulldogs do respond to positive reinforcement quite well. Make it really happy when they do what you want and lavish on the praise. I will say never strike the dog it can lead to a host of negative consequences, corrections are fine and a really stern no seems to work well to correct negative behavior and you need to be consistent but I don't think hitting a dog is good practice

Real Name
    Ellaine
    Country
    Philippines
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bert
    Likes (Received)

I'll keep that in mind and make sure everybody in the house will know how we'll be able to train bert on what he can or cannot do. Thanks again guuuuuuys!!! you really are helping me a lot all the time. i'll think of more questions.lol

Real Name
    Ellaine
    Country
    Philippines
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bert
    Likes (Received)

one more thing! can we bathe him now? he's kindy stinky coz he pees and poops a lot but we dont know if he's to young for a bath??? (that didnt sound right) . i read in some forum that the bathe their dogs with JUST water, no shampoo whatsoever. im not sure if we should bathe him coz he's stinky and its really hot in the pi (most people dont have a/c in the house, we actually dont LOL) OR should we wait for him to grow a lil more. yep another question haha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads