Craft ideas? Bought some clay...

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
... and my plan is to make footprints of my furkids paws:heart: Does anybody have any tips on how to make this a success? Joey's feet are so "puffy" and she has lots of hair growing between her "puff pads":blush2: Will it still work? Must the paws be wet maybe? I don't know... I have never made prints in clay, not even when I was a kid:mellow:.

The clay I got is a natural clay that will dry by itself when it comes in contact with air. It's fairly soft and I was thinking of putting a layer of it on baking paper in a mold so the edges stay in shape. I've found how to make human hand prints but maybe someone here has made this before with their bulldogs and can give me some "do's" and "dont's" as I'm sure there is a difference:).

I happily take other craft ideas for furkids if anybody has something fun that's kinda easy and not to expensive to make:)

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
You might have to play with it a little bit. The mortuary where we had Trixie cremated made us a footprint from one of her very large paws. Unfortunately, it cracked into several prices after it dried. At least you can make several to see how they dry and finish! I would love to have one of my beautiful girl's prints.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm not sure what type of clay that they use for handprints, I know here in the states you can buy handprint kits... I would assume you could use them for dogs!!!

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Aww [MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION] I'm sorry it broke:*( and I'm sorry for your loss:heart:

I'm thinking maybe I must put it in some kind of permanent frame so it stays a bit protected...

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm not sure what type of clay that they use for handprints, I know here in the states you can buy handprint kits... I would assume you could use them for dogs!!!

Ja we had those handprint kits in Sweden, that's where I got the idea from, I haven't seen them here though:( Figured I'll try to make my own version somehow:)

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ja we had those handprint kits in Sweden, that's where I got the idea from, I haven't seen them here though:( Figured I'll try to make my own version somehow:)
Could you purchase them off Amazon?

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks, Petra. It cracked as it was drying, so I don't think they got the right consistency.

I read some clays needs lots of water not to crack... or was it the opposite, lol, have to go back and read again:)

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mm, I don't know... maybe I could... My hubby is going to America for work, leaving today... maybe if this doesn't work I can get him to buy me a few:) He will LOVE that assignment;)
Oh that's a great idea!!! I would tell him to hit the craft stores or Walmart...

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh that's a great idea!!! I would tell him to hit the craft stores or Walmart...

Lol, I wish I could see his reaction when I ask him to go to Walmart :laugh:I wouldn't know were to look for it so thanks for the advice:)

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lol, I wish I could see his reaction when I ask him to go to Walmart :laugh:I wouldn't know were to look for it so thanks for the advice:)
It depends on where in the states he's going... down in the south we have Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Joanne's to name a few.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
It depends on where in the states he's going... down in the south we have Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Joanne's to name a few.
[MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] Try Michaels too, it's a fantastic craft store they have everything.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names

He's going to Duluth... is there a city called that, lol, I'm HORRIBLE at the American Cities:ashamed: and then I think they are going over the border to Canada... think it's close to Canada? So I'm guessing he'll be pretty far north as you can get...:tongue:

Most Reactions