New Bully! But.. With food & you aggression

Bobby Voss

May 16, 2013
Longview Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Callie Roxanna
We've taken in a new EB and we're very excited to have her however she's been very food & toy aggressive towards our other dogs! Anyone have any good ideas? I have kept the food and toys up when all the dogs are around but tonight she got into a little spat with another dog we have and caused her to bleed. ;(

Bobby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's always a tough one, and sometimes it's very hard to break them of it. You can start by feeding her last, and at first feed her from your hand, so she knows she has to rely on you for the food. Make her work for everything, even affection. Make her sit before you pet her and so on. Give her a toy and then take it away. She may even growl at you, but what I do, and we have a girl I am working with right now and she is getting better at it, is when she growls when I try to take a toy away I quickly grab her by the side of the neck and tell her NO, then I take to toy away. It takes time and patience, but you can start with this. Try to watch her with the others so they will not fight, as the fights could get worse. Plus I would not leave them alone together when you are not there. I would crate them or at least her. You may be doing this already, I don't know. Keep us posted on her progress.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=8869]Bobby Voss[/MENTION], you got some good advice from David. I just wanted to refer you to something that was brought to my attention when i was having "aggression" type issues with my bully Finn. It's called Nothing in Life is Free:http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] shared this philosophy on the boards before. Take a look at it as i found it to be very helpful in my situation and i still apply some of the principles currently.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
When we started adding yogurt to Brutus' food he got very possessive of his bowl. If my other two dogs tried to come into the room, he would run up to them and bark. I immediately would grab him, make him look at me and tell him no. If he was eating from his bowl and the other dogs came near him, he would let out a low rumble in warning to them. In that case I would immediately pick up his bowl, make him sit and tell him sternly no! I would then give his food back in a few minutes. I had to do this for only a few times and he got the hint that he would not be allowed to behave this way.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Exactly @cali-baker and [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] ..... nothing in life is free -- she needs to know you rule the roost and understand your rules shuld be followed. As David said... she should eat last and be able to see the others eating while you command her to stay/wait her turn. Work on one thing at a time and remain consistent with her. ALL humans in the house must treat her the same way and re-inforce all the same training.... if not, it is a set up for failure.

Canine creature are all about routine and schedules, especially Bulldogs - routine and consistent along with exersice will get her in line.

please keep us posted [MENTION=8869]Bobby Voss[/MENTION]

OP
Bobby Voss

Bobby Voss

May 16, 2013
Longview Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Callie Roxanna
Thank you all for your feedback, I have shared this information with my wife as we will review the material you provided. Thank you all

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
The nothing in life is free method really does work. I had used this method with my boxers and had wonderful results!! Like the other said, everyone has to be on board and working together for this to have good results. Good luck and keep us posted!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.