Monthly medicine for Lily questions

Jake Apperson

Aug 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly
The vet gave us Trifexis for our 3 month old puppy and we gave it to her with her morning meal yesterday morning. Last night it was almost like she had drank a gallon of Mt. Dew and she would not settle down at all. She has started sleeping in the bed with us and usually goes outside before I go to bed ( around 9pm since I get up so early for work ), then my wife takes her out when she gets home from work ( around 11:30pm ) and then she was getting up at approx. 3:00am to go out but has started sleeping until 6:30 when my wife gets up to get our son off to school.

Her schedule last night turned into this:

Pee @ 9pm
Pee @ 11:30pm
Pee @ 1am
Pee @ 3am
Pee and Poop @ 4:45am
(Gave her water after)
Pee x 2 and Poop again at 5:20am

Wife got up with her at 6:30 to get my son ready for school

Ate like a pig and did not touch her water at breakfast

Pee x 4 from 6:30 to 7:15am

Is this normal for the day of / after giving that medicine or should I talk to the vet about it and get her something different next time?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Puppies do poop a lot! ( shes adorable btw) -sorry im no help here ;-)

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I would recommend using something else than Trifexis if possible... It works for some but I feel I must warn you about it:*( Please search the internet and read here on the forum before you give another one. Maybe they have changed the ingredients in it so it's no longer giving such bad side effects for some dogs but ask your vet about that to make sure. It has been referred to as poison previously:(.

OP
J

Jake Apperson

Aug 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly
Ok thanks. I will look into that other thread for more information.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Really sounds like a strange "coincidence" , having these symptoms after Trifexis. Have heard of many reactions to this....would be VERY apprehensive to use it again....

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I am on the fence about using ANY heartworm,flea, tick medicine. We have Sentinel for Brutus and I have given it twice and both times I have noticed for about 2-3 days after, Brutus is lethargic and has no appetite and has very loose stools. I wonder if we really need to give at all. I have had many dogs and I have never had a problem. Giving the medicine makes me more nervous than anything. Any opinions on this???

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Something in it certainly may have amped her up, hopefully she will improve over the next few days. I would certainly call your vet with your concerns and ask him if there is any current known side effects because reading the Internet can be scary!

I would also be wary of using it again, there are other options out there.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I certainly do not want to scare you but I have heard nothing but bad things about Trifexis! There was a bullie who had very bad reactions to this stuff! I love heartguard and have used it for years with all of our pups! I will tag [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] who has more info on the stuff!

Hope your little one is feeling better! Keep us posted :hug:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
:hiya:

I'm lucky because of where I live. In the PNW, I've not been EVER asked to put them on flea, tick or heartworm meds. I did go to a pet palooza type outing and Petsmart had a vet out displaying the different type of meds. I asked her which one did she recommend and she promptly picked up the Trifexis. I asked her "why". As she talked.....my ears went numb. I finally asked her why she would recommend a drug like Trifexis when dogs are dying left and right from complications. Why would they suggest something like that when heartworm really isn't a problem in the PNW. Her comment? She's known of 2 cases of heartworm in the PNW. I asked if the dogs were originally from here and her answer was......."I don't know"

Losing a bulldog to the drug Trifexis.....losing Steve was the hardest thing Diane Slocum has had to go thru. Steve passed away shortly after his 2nd birthday. Every day she misses him. She struggles with her emotions, now more than ever because the 1st anniversary of his death is just around the corner. He was on it for a very short time when the seizures started. The original MRI showed no reason for the seizures. No brain lesions at all. No neurological reason. He had been poisoned. The side effects of Trifexis? Seizures. In December....the seizures wouldn't stop. Sweet boy died 6 days after his 2nd birthday.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am on the fence about using ANY heartworm,flea, tick medicine. We have Sentinel for Brutus and I have given it twice and both times I have noticed for about 2-3 days after, Brutus is lethargic and has no appetite and has very loose stools. I wonder if we really need to give at all. I have had many dogs and I have never had a problem. Giving the medicine makes me more nervous than anything. Any opinions on this???

We we have always used Sentinel... But is an option if you are seeing reaction to Sentinel

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.