Real Name
    Mae
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gino
    Likes (Received)

Default Skin and Coat problems

I started to notice Gino has a some small (dime to penny sized) bald spots on his spine area. At first I thought it was due to his harness because they looked to be around where his harness is.. so i figured whenever his harness was pulled for whatever reason it would snatch on his fur and pull them out. But I come to believe that's not the case any more.

Plus I notice he is shedding A LOT more and has dandruff now. Per a friend's recommendation, I started to use the FurMinator brush on him and I brush out a good amount of fur with it when I do brush him every couple of days. Even after brushing him he sheds a lot within that day. Is it normal that I can punch some fur, pull slightly, and be able to pull a pinchfull of fur out?

He only showers every two weeks with oatmeal based shampoo. He's on Fromms Beef and Veg.

Any ideas what his bald spots are from, or recommendations for the dandruff?
    Last edited by AlphaOfGino; 10-02-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    follow me and Gino on instagram @mae_moe

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Skin and Coat problems

Dudley was shedding like crazy and had a ton of dandruff. I started giving him wild salmon oil and it's sooooo much better. His dandruff is pretty much gone and he's not shedding much at all. Maybe it would help.

Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them...
    Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have. -- Thom Jones

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Could be demodectic mange?

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

I would go have have a skin scrape done to rule out mites and mange! It could be allergy related! Brutus had that after his hives developed staph infection. We used Maloseb wash and it cleared up quick! The shampoo is the best thing ever for bullies!!! A skin scrape would be the first start and then take it from there!

I will tag other members to see if they can help! @2BullyMama @desertskybulldogs @Davidh
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Awe man poor baby!

It could be mites/ mange, allergies, ringworm, staph or fioliculitis. There us so many possibilities. The vet will scrape the skin if he thinks its necessary to rule out mange/mites. Does it itch?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

The salmon oil should help with the dry skin, but the bald spots could be mange mites. I would let a vet take a look at him.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Agree with all the others, have the vet take a look, many possiblities -- staph, mites, mange, etc
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Mae
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gino
    Likes (Received)

Thank everyone for the responses..

I took him to the vet yesterday. THe vet did do a skin scrape and said negative for mites. He didn't give me a definite reason as to why he has bald spots and dandruff. He gave me a anti-septic shampoo to use every 3 days. States that the dandruff is very mild and that his shedding is normal for Gino being 6months and the season. Told me to monitor to see if theres improvement or not. He didn't want to send me home with antibiotic or medication at this point.

So i'll give the anti-septic wash a try and look into salmon oil. However, I noticed Gino didn't do well with Blue Buffalo's Salmon kibble (his chin became so red and raw), so I'm kind of hesitant to give him Salmon oil.

-photo-1-jpg

Real Name
    Mae
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gino
    Likes (Received)

as far as itching, he doesnt seem to be itch on his back. Maybe every other day he'll roll onto his back and bark but its very rare he does.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Yoshi, Serenity, Cornbread, SunnyMae and Sugar
    Likes (Received)

We received a diagnosis of Red Mange (Demodectic). However, I'm not convinced that's what it is. Of all the research I've done, no images or descriptions match the symptoms of our girl. Also, if all dogs have these mites, how can a skin scrape diagnose it? She has hair loss, but it appears to be only her undercoat as it is only underneath that's balding but there is quite a bit of hair still there. She LOVES to be outside and we're here in Florida so it's hot. All of our dogs live in the house, they go outside several times a day for play and potty time. The run outside is covered with a sun shade so she's not directly in the sun. She is a very happy and playful baby but has been stressed lately with a new litter and another new baby in the house. The skin is not reddened at all but looks like there are some 'pimples' or bites. No itching, no spots anywhere else. Usually it starts around their paws and eyes and it's not that way on her. It's on her back starting between her two front shoulders. The vet sold us Mitaban (at $50 for 2 dips worth) but I DO NOT want to use it because of its toxic effects and she's only 9 months old. So, we started with an organic apple cider vinegar poured over her and rubbed in, followed by a Neem Oil Shampoo and finished off with Neem Oil and Coconut Oil (topically). We have also used Nu-Stock but it stinks really bad - great results though!

We do breed dogs and I am just under the impression that our vet gave this diagnosis for us to have her fixed there (to make up for the $$ we didn't spend there for the c-section) and convince us not to breed her (he was irritated with us that we didn't bring our other female to him for her recent c-section)....#probablychangingvets

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Yoshi, Serenity, Cornbread, SunnyMae and Sugar
    Likes (Received)

One of our boys looked like this and we put Nu-Stock on him and it went away. Also bathed with SelsunBlue but you can use Head & Shoulders as well.

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandymae7 View Post
    We received a diagnosis of Red Mange (Demodectic). However, I'm not convinced that's what it is. Of all the research I've done, no images or descriptions match the symptoms of our girl. Also, if all dogs have these mites, how can a skin scrape diagnose it? She has hair loss, but it appears to be only her undercoat as it is only underneath that's balding but there is quite a bit of hair still there. She LOVES to be outside and we're here in Florida so it's hot. All of our dogs live in the house, they go outside several times a day for play and potty time. The run outside is covered with a sun shade so she's not directly in the sun. She is a very happy and playful baby but has been stressed lately with a new litter and another new baby in the house. The skin is not reddened at all but looks like there are some 'pimples' or bites. No itching, no spots anywhere else. Usually it starts around their paws and eyes and it's not that way on her. It's on her back starting between her two front shoulders. The vet sold us Mitaban (at $50 for 2 dips worth) but I DO NOT want to use it because of its toxic effects and she's only 9 months old. So, we started with an organic apple cider vinegar poured over her and rubbed in, followed by a Neem Oil Shampoo and finished off with Neem Oil and Coconut Oil (topically). We have also used Nu-Stock but it stinks really bad - great results though!

We do breed dogs and I am just under the impression that our vet gave this diagnosis for us to have her fixed there (to make up for the $$ we didn't spend there for the c-section) and convince us not to breed her (he was irritated with us that we didn't bring our other female to him for her recent c-section)....#probablychangingvets
    Oh Wow! Sheldon had red mange and we use the dip just like the vet said only our vet told us to get one of those ten dollar sprayers at Lowes and use it to for the dip it makes the dip last longer but this last time we took him in for the hair loss on some places they did a scraping and it came back negative for mites and the vet said he doubted it was allergy related but I thought it was. I started giving him Salmon oil on his food and the hair regrew in his bald spots and now he has no bald spots. The mites have to do with their immune system. That is why they get them more as puppies because their immune systems aren't as strong as it is as adults as adults their immune systems get stronger and are able to fight off the mites better.

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads