jealousy

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
So Chesty gets EXTREMELY jealous when my brothers girlfriend comes over with her dog. They are about 6 weeks apart with her dog being older. But they have been around each other since I got Chesty. But as soon as I get near kilo or pick him up chesty whines and barks and jumps on me. :( such a jellybean.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon is like that with Children not so much other animals because no other animals come over here but my nephews baby girl when I kept her Sheldon thought she belong to him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Picking up another dog give the impression of that dog being 'higher' in the pack..... so yes, in a sense jealously, but you can also be unknowingly creating a 'pack' issue as they get older.

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
Bella's also jealous, she thinks she is queen bee everywhere with everyone!! Of course to us she is!! haha

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Picking up another dog give the impression of that dog being 'higher' in the pack..... so yes, in a sense jealously, but you can also be unknowingly creating a 'pack' issue as they get older.

That is a very good point I didn't think of that. I have a question when I keep my niece how can I make Sheldon realize he can hurt her.

So sayeth the Sheldon Puppy!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That is a very good point I didn't think of that. I have a question when I keep my niece how can I make Sheldon realize he can hurt her. So sayeth the Sheldon Puppy!

How old is your niece? Either way, it may be best to keep him on lead until he settles and spend time training him to be gentle while tshe is there with you. Give me a few examples and I can give some pointers

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
How old is your niece? Either way, it may be best to keep him on lead until he settles and spend time training him to be gentle while tshe is there with you. Give me a few examples and I can give some pointers
She is only a couple months old and when I have her laying on the couch next to me I know a lot of it is curiosity but he will jump up with his front paws on the couch and try to lick her ear only her ear and he will air hump. Of course her little eyes get huge and she looks at him like he is monster of course compared to her he is huge.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She is only a couple months old and when I have her laying on the couch next to me I know a lot of it is curiosity but he will jump up with his front paws on the couch and try to lick her ear only her ear and he will air hump. Of course her little eyes get huge and she looks at him like he is monster of course compared to her he is huge.

It is curiosity.... the air hump is over-excitment. I am going to tag Jill [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION], she just had a beutiful baby boy and may be able to give some advice to help you.

Banks was like this as a younger pup.... she still gets over joyed when she see a baby -- she just LOVES childern

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Yes, as [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] says, I just had a baby and also have one rambunctious 3 year old bully.

I was deeply concerned he would rough house with the baby and, honestly, I couldn't have been more wrong. Part of it, I think, it is to remember your bully takes his cues off of you, so if you are tense and worried, he or she will sense something is up and respond in kind.

For me, I waited an extra day after I brought my baby home to pick up my bully, to get mentally in the right place. I allowed my bully full access to the baby right off the bat because I figured restricting him would only make him more curious. Of course I had to be extremely observant and remind Truman to be gentle but I truly believe communication happened between the baby and Truman because it wasn't long before I trusted him COMPLETELY with my son. He is only 5 weeks old and I don't worry about putting him on the couch with the dog or in a baby swing, within dog's reach.

But I think the key in all of it was approaching it with relative ease, semi-free access, and remembering the dog will take his cues from you.

I hope that helps!

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Yes, as @2BullyMama says, I just had a baby and also have one rambunctious 3 year old bully.

I was deeply concerned he would rough house with the baby and, honestly, I couldn't have been more wrong. Part of it, I think, it is to remember your bully takes his cues off of you, so if you are tense and worried, he or she will sense something is up and respond in kind.

For me, I waited an extra day after I brought my baby home to pick up my bully, to get mentally in the right place. I allowed my bully full access to the baby right off the bat because I figured restricting him would only make him more curious. Of course I had to be extremely observant and remind Truman to be gentle but I truly believe communication happened between the baby and Truman because it wasn't long before I trusted him COMPLETELY with my son. He is only 5 weeks old and I don't worry about putting him on the couch with the dog or in a baby swing, within dog's reach.

But I think the key in all of it was approaching it with relative ease, semi-free access, and remembering the dog will take his cues from you.

I hope that helps!

I think we need more pictures of Gabriel and Truman to help with this explanation :whistle: :yes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.