GPS Collars, microchip?

Patrick131

Aug 27, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Hello
With all the Bulldog thefts that occur, I'm curious to see what precautions you take to keep our friends safe and what products are used to easily find them if they are lost or stolen. We live in a typical tract housing area with 5 ft sides with maybe 5 foot gates, very easy to see and jump fence to steal our Billie... What do you do?

Thanks

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
We have a fenced in yard and I just got Ruthie micro chipped the other day at the pet fair in our county. My biggest fear is someone stealing her cause I know I would never get her back. We don't leave her outside if we aren't home and if she wants to be outside we keep an eye on her. Luckily I walk her so much, she knows everyone and everyone knows her or me in our neighborhood. They all know her name. So if anything did happen, I at least know if people see her with the wrong people, they will know. Ruthie isn't a roamer either, she's not going anywhere without me or her dad.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Tubby is micro chipped. We live in a building so I'm worried about break ins during the day. We always joke though that Tubbs is such a handful that if he's ever stolen they will return him to us and give us a reward for taking him back lol but no in all seriousness if he ever went missing I would be hunting him day & night. Something about micro chipping doesn't make me feel very secure. I worry some deranged lunatic would cut it out of him. Then again I have lots of irrational fears when it comes to my Tubbtubb. Feel bad for my future skin kids.

Someone here had her bully tattooed with a tatt that said Stinky Pete I believe so that seems like a pretty neat idea for identification purposes

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The best way is to microchip your bullies and some people will even tattoo them. A collar can always be taken off, and that's usually the first thing a thief will do. We just microchip ours.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Agreed , microchip is a great thing to do , not only when your bulldog is lost but also if its stolen it is a proof that dog belongs to you

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea is chipped and registered with Home Again Lost Pet alert system. We do have a fenced yard, but if someone really wants a pup that is not going to stop them. We also do not let her out alone. Harlea goes out either me, my wife, kids or more/all of us go out with her. In my area pet theft is big right now and some crooks are going so far as to remove any microchips that are found.

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
microchips are great, but the vet doesn't scan every time, so if the dog is stolen then I'm not convinced the microchip really helps! Most likely someone who steals a dog is going to avoid a vet anyhow...just my thoughts, Ollie isn't micro-chipped but it is on our list!

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
Petey Pete is micro chipped and has his nick name Stinky tattooed on his inner thigh.

Last edited:

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Matilda is microchipped. It took a whole two seconds to do and she barely noticed. So worth it!

As for your yard, I would never, ever ever ever let your pup out unsupervised. Not only is it unsafe in regards to temperature (bullies overheat easily, and if it's hot, may not understand enough is enough), but theft IS common, and is that a risk you'd be willing to take?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We have a fenced yard... but both my dogs are microchipped, and registered w/Home Again. My yard is open so I plan on privatizing it w/trees & bushes soon. Such a shame we have to go to these lengths nowadays...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.