Runny Nose.

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Hello everyone!
I am so scarred from what happened to Debo about a month ago, I have turned into an even bigger worry wart.

My eight week old puppy received a Bordetella shot on Monday. I am such an idiot, on Tuesday I left a huge bowl of water in his crate and left for a couple hours. When I got back he had spilled it everywhere and he was shivering! I should have known better but, I thought it was too big for him to spill!

By Thursday he had a runny nose but it was clear, he also coughs sometimes. So I took him to the vet, and we decided to wait to see if it got worse before giving him antibiotics.

By Saturday his runny nose wasn't clear anymore, so I rushed him to the vet and they gave him an antibiotic shot. Last night he was throwing up from the shot and he couldn't sleep!

I don't know if he aspirated some of the water that he spilled, or if it was the Bordetella shot? Has anyone ever given a little eight week old puppy an antibiotic shot before?

Other than those symptoms he is still playing, eating, drinking, and sleeping.

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
I forgot to add photos
nury9a2u.jpg
his little seat belt

7a4eruze.jpg
are5yrur.jpg
3egebena.jpg
y5ury9e9.jpg

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
What a gorgeous boy! I haven't had this type of reaction to one of the shots before. But Vegas has aspirated before and it was not pretty. One of the scariest times I've had with him. When Vegas aspirated, he was coughing and throwing up every 15 mins or so. Once he started, it was urgent that we get him to the ER. We almost lost him. He was a year old at the time. He had aspirated during a grand mal seizure.

Sorry I can't be more help. Keep us updated on his condition!

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Wow, that is scary!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He is a cute little bugger for sure. The Bordetella, was it a shot or Nasal version? If it was the shot version, I have never heard of an problems with that. He may have just gotten sick from the water and getting cold. We use the lick bottles in the crates. This way they can have water all day and they can't spill it. Here is a pic of them.

Water bottle.jpg

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
I'm not sure which version of the Bordetella injection he received. I think it may have been an oral shot?

I did go out and buy one of those water bottles that day. Thank you!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How precious is he!? is the runny clear?

- - - Updated - - -

How precious is he!? is the runny clear?

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
I know, thank you, I love him!

The runny nose was clear at first but after a few days it looked white-ish green-ish.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes Buster had an antibiotic shot at 8 weeks. Those are wonderful pictures of your baby.

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Ok, thank you!! That's good to know :)

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
AWE He is ADORABLE!!! Makes me want to pick him up and cuddle him!!! I am of no help here but sounds like you have it covered Momma, just take a slow deep breath...and just keep an eye on him.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Hang in there and I know you'll keep an eye on him. What a cute, cute baby. He is absolutely adorable!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I know, thank you, I love him!

The runny nose was clear at first but after a few days it looked white-ish green-ish.

I'm not sure what the color means but I think it is supposed to be clear? [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Is it still clear or is it greenish?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Awe sweet baby!

I've heard of pups getting sick from the nasal vaccine but not the shot. I personally think he's a bit young to give that to, either way. All shots carry some risk of actually making pups sick, because it puts a damper on their immune system....even the parvo and distemper shots. I prefer to wait on the bordatella until they have had all of their puppy shots given.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.