"That's a Pitbull"

B

Baxter Tiberius

How many times have people said this to you? Maybe its because Baxter is still little, and hasn't become a fat blob of roley poley piggy yet.

Probably 15 different people have said "Thats a pitbull".

One guy, even after telling him "English Bulldog" began to talk about how misunderstood they are, and what a bad rap they get. Still referring to Pitbulls.

The jury is still out in my mind regarding Pitbulls tendencies towards aggression so I find myself constantly wanting to make sure they realize this is a fat, burpy, snorty, lovable piggy. Not a Pitbull.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
all the time! although people who are genuinely interested I tell them about the breed ones that are just rude I either ignore or put them in their place it really depends on the person but generally I find that people here are inquisitive and are genuinely interested and ask good questions that only someone who has an EB can answer. I do feel that pitbulls have been given a bad rap. In history pitbulls were called Nanny dogs because they were so loyal to their human counterpart and very protective of children. My nephew has pitbulls and neither one of them are aggressive he breeds his dogs and the dogs are a part of their family they sleep with them eat when they eat go where they go and they have a baby and the canine couple views the baby as one of their pups so they tend to be protective of him. I really think it depends on the Mom and Dad if you look for those nice qualities in the breed and you find a couple who have those qualities and the puppies tend to have those qualities it boils down to the breeder and the humans that raise them. It really could be any dog, if you show a dog nothing but love and happiness from the moment of its birth those are the qualities that the dog will exhibit I think. Of course that is just my opinion.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I haven't had that many people mistake them for pits. I do agree Pits do get a bad rap. I used to own a Pit and he was the most lovable, loyal dog I have ever had. Well of coarse, my bullies too. LOL

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Only a few people have thought T and F were Pit Bulls too. Pit Bulls are such a misunderstood breed of dog. They get the worst rap, especially out here in California, as there have been several well publicized attacks by Pit Bulls on people in recent weeks. People I know who own a PB have also told me they are some of the sweetest dogs to have.

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Not many. When it had happened before when he was a pup usually two people would comment and one would say is that a pit the other will say no bulldog. I think its obvious if they see the tail. Maybe first glance..But not all of them get fat and chubby. Zeus is really thin and muscular I do wonder if he will fill up. But then again everyone always comments about in how great of a shape his in and how much muscle he has.

Last edited:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I used to own pitbulls - they are mist loyal and loveable dogs i ever had ,unfortunately they are banned in UK ;-( , they get bad rep thanks to "hoodies " lol ,now the same bad rep goes to staffies in uk thanks to idiots of an owners
I always say that any dog can be aggressive,all depends who is their owner. I never labelled all dogs into one box -its just unfair and like in UK thanks to people who do this they banned few breeds here -its sad ,as we ourselves are slowly killing the breeds off by being uninformed ,just because we saw few aggressive dogs it doesn't mean that they all need to be like this
I had one dumb woman talking about pitbulls ,and american bulldogs -she couldn't make her mind if lily was an pit-bull or american bulldog and didn't know how brutish bulldog look like ...but she was sadly a bit stupid in general ;-)

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Some lady tried to tell me winslow is a bull terrier. I corrected her and said, "actually he's an English bulldog."

"Oh yes such a handsome bull terrier, I used to have one... blah blah bull terrier..."

Ummm, okay.

Some people around me are even afraid of him knowing his breed ("Oh, those are the dangerous ones!" I guess with thr image of a junkyard bulldog in mind? I dunno), so I don't really make it a point to discuss his breed unless it's brought up. That's just me, though.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION], have you heard of a singer named Maria Daines? She's from the UK and an animal activist, and especially supports those breeds who are "banned"? I just discovered her yesterday...the most beautiful voice and her lyrics just make me cry.

sorry to be off topic but just wanted to know if you heard of her!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea has never been mistaken for a pitbull but we have had a few people call her an ugly abomination of a pug.

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Harlea has never been mistaken for a pitbull but we have had a few people call her an ugly abomination of a pug.

Ugh!!! I hate when I hear that. She is gorgeous! I dont understand people being so rude!! Especially to your face!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I know. it's nuts. If you don't know just ask and be done with it. I love my smushy face butterball and she is beautiful to me. :)

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I haven't gotten pitbull from anyone but I do get boxer alot. I agree with Marine91, ask before assuming. I'm always more than happy to answer questions or information regarding my little man mr. snorty

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I haven't gotten pitbull from anyone but I do get boxer alot. I agree with Marine91, ask before assuming. I'm always more than happy to answer questions or information regarding my little man mr. snorty

Agreed!

So sayeth the Sheldon Puppy!

boomsboo

Boomsboozed
Community Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Southern California
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank (11/3/09 - 8/4/17), Max (Became Part of the Family 8/17/17
This happened to me about two times when Tank was a pup also! Not sure why people think that because I don't think they look alike at all as pups! I agree with most, pits have a bad rep. I think it's all about the owner of the pet and how they raise them. I had a friend who had a pit and that was the most loving dog I had ever met (before I had Tank of course ;)) Every time I saw that pit bull he just slobbered me with kisses!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.