Bellybutton or Hernia

BullyMama69

Sep 26, 2013
Canyon Country, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow
So my little Willow has a little ball on he abdomen. I think its her bellybutton it looks like a bellybutton but my cousin and his friend keep saying its a hernia. Does anyone know how I could tell the difference? :unsure::confused:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
:hiya:

Sometimes the belly button will heal funny with thickened skin and look like a hernia, but best to have your vet take a look at it. Do you have a photo by any chance? I know that is not the easiest picture to take so that is okay if not.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If it is soft to the touch and will push in easily, it's an umbilical hernia. They can fix it when she gets spayed, if you are going to spay her. If they are small, about the size of a pencil, they don't hurt anything, anything larger than that should be fixed.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have had two bullies who had hernias,as pups. They were about the size of a dime. My vet put a quarter on it, and wrapped vet wrap around the belly. (This is what I had done with my son, who had an umbilical hernia when he was born-it closed up) Both pups hernias closed up. Kept it wrapped for several weeks. If it does not heal itself, then take the surgical route,which the vet said he would do when spay,IF it didn't close.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Just stopping by to see how things are? DId you figure out what it was?

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Rocco has a small umbilical hernia as well. The vet looked at it last month and said he wants to check it again at this month's apointment to see if the size changes to where we can leave it or I can elect to have it taken care of when he gets neutered. Does anybody know what potential problems they can cause?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If your pup is young enough,and hernia is small enough, you could try the taping of a quarter, and wrapping. Many times it works. If a hernia does not close, that will be a weak spot, and if enlarges or tears, their insides can start to protrude through the opening, which would lead to an emergency situation.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki had a herniated belly button. It was fixed when he was a little puppy still. We could push it in and it would come back out. there is a small scar there now but it never seemed to bother him at all. After the surgery he had a reaction to the internal stitches. His body didn't like the material they were made out of every few days a stitch would pop out and we would have to slowly pull it out to make sure that it wasn't attached. He had to take antibiotics to make sure that he didn't get an infection

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Here are a couple pictures of Loki's hernia after the surgery. Sorry they are not the best quality. You might have to zoom in on them to see
Hernia.jpgHernia 2.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.