Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Question - How do I know if my dog is cold?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dumb Question - How do I know if my dog is cold?

I adopted Gypsy in May and she is my first dog...ever. Now that the weather is cooling down, am I supposed to cover her with a blanket at night? Does she need to wear a doggie sweater during the day? I live in So California so it's not -10 below or anything but it's getting cooler.

Sorry for the dumb question. I just want to make sure I don't harm her in any way.

Thanks,
    Ami

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dumb Question - How do I know if my dog is cold?

Keep in mind the only stupid question is the one not asked. Sheldon sleeps with one of my son's old comforters its his bed. I have no idea how to answer this but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can. I would say shiver because when Sheldon gets cold he shivers a little that is how we know.

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Vegas sleeps under 3 blankets at night. And he is curled up with his nose in the back of my neck some nights. But he hates wearing sweaters or hoodies. O loves to lay by the fireplace... dressed in warm snuggly clothes. But she will sleep on top of the blankets at night. They will look for warmth if they need it, but be very careful when they're sleeping because sometimes they can get too hot and start to struggle with breathing.

Tapatalk rocks! Voice dictation on the other hand, sucks. Sorry for any misspellings, jumbled sentences or missing punctuations!

Real Name
    Amber
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mzza111 View Post
    I adopted Gypsy in May and she is my first dog...ever. Now that the weather is cooling down, am I supposed to cover her with a blanket at night? Does she need to wear a doggie sweater during the day? I live in So California so it's not -10 below or anything but it's getting cooler.

Sorry for the dumb question. I just want to make sure I don't harm her in any way.

Thanks,
    Ami
    i don't think that's a dumb question because I immediately clicked your post because I wanted to know the answer!

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Ami...there are NO stupid questions here, I am touched that you care
    so much for Gypsy's needs. It ROCKS to have a bulldog as your 1st dog!
    GOD bless you for rescuing her and giving her a loving, safe home.

Gypsy is lucky and I'm sure...showing you that she knows it!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Amber
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brynnlee
    Likes (Received)

Brynn will sleep under a blanket if she wants, otherwise she sleeps on quite a few softer warmer blankets then if she is to hot she will go lay down on the floor or a cooler place. I too wanted to know the answer to this question.

Whoever said diamonds were a girl's best friend has never owned a bulldog <3

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

I think it's a cute question our bulldogs tuck in their feet sort of under them if they are cold... hard to explain. And when I put a blanket on them they take their feet out and sleep normally (if there is a normal way to sleep). If they are warm they lay on the side with their belly up in the air to cool off

Boeboe likes to wear a dress so on cold nights she can have that on but I normally just put a blanket for them at night and if they get cold they whine, lol.
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

By asking questions it shows how much you love your baby!! I love that! I would provide a blanket at night. If she is cold she will snuggle. I too am curious about the answer for whether or not they should wear something outside as this is the first winter Brutus will be big enough to actually be outside for more than potty this winter. He was 8wks old when we got him in Jan of 2013. Oh and by the way to the site.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

They will shiver if they are really cold, usually they will try to curl up or get by something warm. In the winter we keep the house 68 deg. F. inside and our bullies don't wear anything and most of them don't have bedding in their crates because they will eat it. The ones that do will sometimes push it out of the way, so I'm thinking they do this because they are hot. If your bully doesn't eat or chew his bedding, then you could put it in there. It doesn't get that cold here, maybe a week or two in the twenties or thirties, and when we take them out to potty, we don't put anything on them. They are not out that long. If they were going to be out for awhile then we would put a sweater or something on them.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Alyssa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Queen Margaret May
    Likes (Received)

Maggie shivers. Also if you feel their ears and they're colder than your hands they might be a little chilly. Sometimes she wakes up shivering so I wrap her in a blanket burrito.

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

We live in a cold climate and their fur gets thicker in the winter. But when they are cold they shiver and snuggle into blankets or into a warm body or bask in the warmth of the fire place. But as soon as the cool weather starts they wear hoodies, then jackets and then sheep lined bulldog parkas as the weather gets colder when we go for walks. Booties are another matter. They hate them and it is a challenge to get them to stay on once I get them on. Always looking back into the snow to see if one has accidentally slipped off or purposely been kicked off. When they go out to potty they don't wear anything but they sure get the job done quickly!!!!

“Happiness is a warm puppy.”
    Charles M. Schulz

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    They will shiver if they are really cold, usually they will try to curl up or get by something warm. In the winter we keep the house 68 deg. F. inside and our bullies don't wear anything and most of them don't have bedding in their crates because they will eat it. The ones that do will sometimes push it out of the way, so I'm thinking they do this because they are hot. If your bully doesn't eat or chew his bedding, then you could put it in there. It doesn't get that cold here, maybe a week or two in the twenties or thirties, and when we take them out to potty, we don't put anything on them. They are not out that long. If they were going to be out for awhile then we would put a sweater or something on them.
    Same here. They shiver when cold but can't have blankets or soft beds because they eat them. Buster, half French, half English is the only one that needs a shirt on all the time when it is cold outside!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads