Dumb Question - How do I know if my dog is cold?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I always think that when Bo curls his arms and legs under him and lays on them he is cold. But Bo loves blankies. The more the better. He has a big fuzzy blankie in his house that he never tries to burrow under. But any other time he sees a blankie he wraps himself up in it. He has footmen very good at it. I'll post a pic of his best personal wrap job. He sleeps in bed with us and I'm like a rotisserie oven even though I don't actually feel hot. He is 90% of the time under the covers with me laying right next to me skin to skin but when he gets hot he will get out of the covers. He also always lays under covers so that just his nose and mouth are out. Smart boy!
umy8e4et.jpg
aba5yta6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

AWESOME pictures.....

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
You mention sheep lined bulldog parkas? I live in Canada too and I'm looking for something that will keep Ramsay warm during our winters! Where did you get them from? Any info would be appreciated!
I have parkas from Auggies Closet in the states. It is the one for extreme weather. They fit beautifully and since I walk Buster and Miss Tallulah until about -15 C ( short walk) I can say they stay toasty. Sometimes they have a little t shirt on too to keep their tummies extra warm. Auggies closet ( New Jersey I think) delivered them with no problems and I emailed them with questions and they got right back to me. Very nice people. BTW I got an email from them a few days ago saying they have a sale on and the parkas I ordered may be on sale :yes: I also just ordered 2 parkas from K9 apparel in the States and they are on their way. They have a section for Bulldog apparel. I ordered them because they have the neck warmers attached and thought they would be a nice change if it is windy. Not sure which one will be the absolute warmest but will know soon. Good luck!

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
When Sarge and Loulou get cold they have their blankets to go to but they like a nice cool house.They know when to get under their blankets. Sarge likes to sleep with me and is so close I feel like he is a wart on me, Loulou likes sleeping on the couch and has a lot of blankets to keep her warm if she gets cold.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
They will shiver. Matilda has two blankets in her crate, but when she's hot she will take them out. Or use both if she wants them. They will figure it out, just leave blankets (as long as they don't eat them!) available if needed.

We also have a sweater that I will put on her if it's cold or if she shivers. We also live in Socal, and we got a sweater last year because Til would be shivering very hard in the cold mornings. You'll know if she's cold :)

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Mila, Rudy, the wife and I live in nor-cal. Doesn't, usually get Much below 35 or 40 during the winter. We keep the house at 68 in the awake hours and 64 at night. They sleep on blankets at night and snuggle up on the couch during the afternoons and evenings. When I boot them out in the morning, they run into our unheated garage and lay down on a section of heated cement, with an old comforter. We keep it heated, when it is cold, to 90 or 95 depending on how cold it is. Lucky dogs, when I was a kid the dogs had to walk up hill both ways in the snow to get to their food and water.

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
I live in SoCal in the Orange county area and it rarely ever gets cold enough to worry about putting a sweater on your dog in CA. I just have a few towels/blankets in their crate and they will go snuggle down if it gets a little too chilly at night for them. Most of the time they are perfectly fine chilling on the ground. We even catch them napping on the back patio concrete.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, and welcome. Like someone already mentioned, there is never a dumb question. You just want what's best for Gypsy.
Our guys can't have any pillows or blankets either as they eat them, but we have quite cold winters here in Canada, so when we go for longer walks, they wear a coat, and if it's a little milder, they wear a warm sweater. When we just go out for their duties, then they don't wear anything, but will go faster, and then want to come back inside. We do have two comfy dog pillows, that we use when they are sitting with us, and can be supervised so they don't eat it. They don't have any pillows or blankets in their crate.

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
Chesty wears a hoddie outside to play in the winter, when he comes in i take it off because its obviously wet, but when he's cold he will go lay near or on the heater vent to warm up and at night he sleeps in bed with me or in his bed on the floor and he has 3 blankets to keep warm in. 1.10.13.jpg1.16.13.jpg66464_4494269153837_1543300031_n.jpg these are 3 different pictures from 2012-2013 winter he was still pretty young in these pictures and it was his first winter, so i guess we will see how this winter goes.

JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Jagger and Ellie have Kong padded beds they sleep on during the day and wear sweaters when we go outside. Jagger tends to get cold easier. If he's cold he will curl his legs and have shivers. I've never seen Ellie shiver. She is very hot natured.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.