Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Question - How do I know if my dog is cold?

Real Name
    Nu
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Curly
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mzza111 View Post
    I adopted Gypsy in May and she is my first dog...ever. Now that the weather is cooling down, am I supposed to cover her with a blanket at night? Does she need to wear a doggie sweater during the day? I live in So California so it's not -10 below or anything but it's getting cooler.

Sorry for the dumb question. I just want to make sure I don't harm her in any way.

Thanks,
    Ami
    Where in SoCal are you? We are in LA and it's still too hot for Curly (12wks) even at night. He radiates heat.

Keep in mind that a dogs can adapt to cold a lot better than us because they have fur so when the sun does set in SoCal and we're cold the dogs think of it more as AC than us where we are throwing on our sweaters

Our Boston Terrier/pug get cold easily and is starting to get cold at night and she definitely looks like she is cold when she is (shivers stays close to your body. She even digs and sleeps under covers.

We are originally from Philly and our two older dogs had real seasons so they have winter coats. last "winter" in LA we only needed their winter coat when it rained and we only really used the coats cuz they are waterproof.

Our girl that gets cold all the time will wear sweaters at night but during the day she's fine.

So I think in the end you just need to take the cues from your pup if she is cold. If she is shivering then it might be time to put a sweater on her.

Even if you put a blanket over her at night she will probably not sleep under it all night. My EB is my 6th dog I've had and only my Boston/Pug actually will dig to be under covers. with all the other dogs I've had non needed sweaters or blankets in doors (my list of dogs were: Dalmatian, Pit Pug, Pit Pug, Frenchton, Bugg, EB - I currently have the last three)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by nubonics; 09-29-2013 at 04:56 PM.
    check us out on Instagram: nu__berry (that's two under scrolls)

Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ramsay
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dumb Question - How do I know if my dog is cold?

Quote Originally Posted by Tooleysmom View Post
    We live in a cold climate and their fur gets thicker in the winter. But when they are cold they shiver and snuggle into blankets or into a warm body or bask in the warmth of the fire place. But as soon as the cool weather starts they wear hoodies, then jackets and then sheep lined bulldog parkas as the weather gets colder when we go for walks. Booties are another matter. They hate them and it is a challenge to get them to stay on once I get them on. Always looking back into the snow to see if one has accidentally slipped off or purposely been kicked off. When they go out to potty they don't wear anything but they sure get the job done quickly!!!!
    You mention sheep lined bulldog parkas? I live in Canada too and I'm looking for something that will keep Ramsay warm during our winters! Where did you get them from? Any info would be appreciated!

Real Name
    Liz
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bocephus
    Likes (Received)

I always think that when Bo curls his arms and legs under him and lays on them he is cold. But Bo loves blankies. The more the better. He has a big fuzzy blankie in his house that he never tries to burrow under. But any other time he sees a blankie he wraps himself up in it. He has footmen very good at it. I'll post a pic of his best personal wrap job. He sleeps in bed with us and I'm like a rotisserie oven even though I don't actually feel hot. He is 90% of the time under the covers with me laying right next to me skin to skin but when he gets hot he will get out of the covers. He also always lays under covers so that just his nose and mouth are out. Smart boy!

~Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about Bulldogs.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bo'sMamaGirl View Post
    I always think that when Bo curls his arms and legs under him and lays on them he is cold. But Bo loves blankies. The more the better. He has a big fuzzy blankie in his house that he never tries to burrow under. But any other time he sees a blankie he wraps himself up in it. He has footmen very good at it. I'll post a pic of his best personal wrap job. He sleeps in bed with us and I'm like a rotisserie oven even though I don't actually feel hot. He is 90% of the time under the covers with me laying right next to me skin to skin but when he gets hot he will get out of the covers. He also always lays under covers so that just his nose and mouth are out. Smart boy!

AWESOME pictures.....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Liz
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bocephus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    AWESOME pictures.....
    Thank you!! He's precious!

~Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about Bulldogs.

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mbd963 View Post
    You mention sheep lined bulldog parkas? I live in Canada too and I'm looking for something that will keep Ramsay warm during our winters! Where did you get them from? Any info would be appreciated!
    I have parkas from Auggies Closet in the states. It is the one for extreme weather. They fit beautifully and since I walk Buster and Miss Tallulah until about -15 C ( short walk) I can say they stay toasty. Sometimes they have a little t shirt on too to keep their tummies extra warm. Auggies closet ( New Jersey I think) delivered them with no problems and I emailed them with questions and they got right back to me. Very nice people. BTW I got an email from them a few days ago saying they have a sale on and the parkas I ordered may be on sale I also just ordered 2 parkas from K9 apparel in the States and they are on their way. They have a section for Bulldog apparel. I ordered them because they have the neck warmers attached and thought they would be a nice change if it is windy. Not sure which one will be the absolute warmest but will know soon. Good luck!

“Happiness is a warm puppy.”
    Charles M. Schulz

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tom Fraley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarge and LuLu
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

When Sarge and Loulou get cold they have their blankets to go to but they like a nice cool house.They know when to get under their blankets. Sarge likes to sleep with me and is so close I feel like he is a wart on me, Loulou likes sleeping on the couch and has a lot of blankets to keep her warm if she gets cold.

Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)

They will shiver. Matilda has two blankets in her crate, but when she's hot she will take them out. Or use both if she wants them. They will figure it out, just leave blankets (as long as they don't eat them!) available if needed.

We also have a sweater that I will put on her if it's cold or if she shivers. We also live in Socal, and we got a sweater last year because Til would be shivering very hard in the cold mornings. You'll know if she's cold

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rudy and Mila
    Likes (Received)

Mila, Rudy, the wife and I live in nor-cal. Doesn't, usually get Much below 35 or 40 during the winter. We keep the house at 68 in the awake hours and 64 at night. They sleep on blankets at night and snuggle up on the couch during the afternoons and evenings. When I boot them out in the morning, they run into our unheated garage and lay down on a section of heated cement, with an old comforter. We keep it heated, when it is cold, to 90 or 95 depending on how cold it is. Lucky dogs, when I was a kid the dogs had to walk up hill both ways in the snow to get to their food and water.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cinnamon and Pepper
    Likes (Received)

I live in SoCal in the Orange county area and it rarely ever gets cold enough to worry about putting a sweater on your dog in CA. I just have a few towels/blankets in their crate and they will go snuggle down if it gets a little too chilly at night for them. Most of the time they are perfectly fine chilling on the ground. We even catch them napping on the back patio concrete.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, and welcome. Like someone already mentioned, there is never a dumb question. You just want what's best for Gypsy.
    Our guys can't have any pillows or blankets either as they eat them, but we have quite cold winters here in Canada, so when we go for longer walks, they wear a coat, and if it's a little milder, they wear a warm sweater. When we just go out for their duties, then they don't wear anything, but will go faster, and then want to come back inside. We do have two comfy dog pillows, that we use when they are sitting with us, and can be supervised so they don't eat it. They don't have any pillows or blankets in their crate.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Katie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chester Winston (Chesty)
    Likes (Received)

Chesty wears a hoddie outside to play in the winter, when he comes in i take it off because its obviously wet, but when he's cold he will go lay near or on the heater vent to warm up and at night he sleeps in bed with me or in his bed on the floor and he has 3 blankets to keep warm in. -1-10-13-jpg-1-16-13-jpg-66464_4494269153837_1543300031_n-jpg these are 3 different pictures from 2012-2013 winter he was still pretty young in these pictures and it was his first winter, so i guess we will see how this winter goes.
    Katie & Chesty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads