HE ATE WHAT?????

jodimiller

Aug 9, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boomer
This morning I took Boomer to the park to play and for me to walk something we do everyday. Since I have had a sick kid we have missed the last 3 mornings. Anyway there is an area for dogs to play while parents exercise. This morning I kept noticing Boomer going to the corner of the fence. After 3 times of calling him away from that area I went and saw that he was chewing on a dead squirrel. I called the vet and he said he should be ok. But I am flipping out....

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I'd be wondering what the squirrel died from. Our Mack packed around a dead bird in his mouth once, playing catch me if you can. It didn't hurt him but it sure is a gross thing to do!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Oh so gross! At the beginning of summer there were dead birds all over our yard, which I didn't realize, and I caught Ruthie eating one. It's amazing what dogs can eat and they never get sick from it. Steer clear from Kisses for a few days lol.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I caught Dudley sniffing a dead bird on the sidewalk when we were taking our walk a couple of weeks ago...poor thing probably had whiplash considering how quickly I pulled him away! Yeah...no kisses from our baby for a while!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs LOVE to eat anything like that! The worse it smells the better they LIKE it-and I spend a fortune on GOOD dog food! If I see them all charge the same area-I know they are up to no good! Sometimes the barn cats will leave mole or mouse parts-or if their is a stinky dead toad-They will act like it's gourmet! That makes ME sick! I tell them that they have NO taste buds, I could feed them roadkill! ha!ha! (They probably would LOVE that!) Luckily, I usually can get it out of the mouth before it is swallowed, but it is concerning. Anytime you see them TOO interested in an area-check it out 'cause they are up to no good!! As long as they don't actually swallow much-they are usually okay. Doggies stomach acids are pretty powerful, I'd say. Poor strays probably live on any roadkill they can find!p.s. Make sure your dogs are always UP to DATE on their shots!

Last edited:

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Watch him for signs of lethargy and fever I don't know if it's something dogs can get but its called Rabbit Fever it has a technical name but I can't remember what it is. If I were you if I saw ANYTHING out of the normal I would be going to the vet. From what I understand they are seeing a lot of instances of rabies this year.
Its called Tulermia.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
It's worse when they find something dead like that and decide to ROLL in it! My Jack Russell is the QUEEN of finding dead things to roll in and smear all over her body. So GROSS!!!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Ewww, yup I say gross but it's amazing what they can eat.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
OMG. I would be freaking out too, these silly babies will eat just about anything. I haven't experienced this yet, but came close, Dozer was sniffing a dead bird, but I pulled him away before he could eat it. If Boomer is up to date on all of his shots, especially rabies, and leptovirus, which is another disease they can contract from wildlife, then he's going to be fine. Dogs have a different stomach acid than we do, which kills most germs and viruses, that would normally make us sick. If your vet says he's going to be fine, then I wouldn't worry too much. My Dad lives up North and his Black Lab would run out in the country around my dads house, and sometimes he would find road kill or a carcass from a dead animal , and he would devour it, bones and all, he was always fine.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm not even kidding, these dogs are going to kill us with stress. :faint:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:barf: OMG..... but also.... :rofl: the crap they get into to

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OMG... My Bella swallowed a baby bird ALIVE!!! I FREAKED OUT... she was fine of course, then coughed the bones up 2 weeks later!!! These damn dogs... :rofl:

OP
jodimiller

jodimiller

Aug 9, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boomer
He seems to be doing fine....at the park this morning he kept going back to that spot...I had the city come "clean" the area yesterday...but he remembered exactly where his little friend was. I swear he is like a terrible 2 year old with no regard for anyone but himself always in something! But I sure Love him <3

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.