The poops

Bentley64

Sep 17, 2013
Trevorton, Pennsylvania, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Bentley keeps getting diarrhea..he was doing really good now it started again had to call vet to get meds he is pooping everywhere..slept in living room last night. He woke me up all hours of the night to go out and go potty..help!!!!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Stool sample done? It needs to be checked for bacteria. If that is neg ( and hopefully they will test for worms at the same item) then he would need a bland diet until formed stools, then reintroduce the kibble, slowly. ( been there, have the thirst 5 times!!) definitely add probiotics to his food daily!! goodluck!!

OP
Bentley64

Bentley64

Sep 17, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Stool sample done? It needs to be checked for bacteria. If that is neg ( and hopefully they will test for worms at the same item) then he would need a bland diet until formed stools, then reintroduce the kibble, slowly. ( been there, have the thirst 5 times!!) definitely add probiotics to his food daily!! goodluck!!
stool sample done neg for bacteria and worms..what is bland diet and what is probiotics..

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bland diet is boiled rice ( white, NOT brown) very lean boiled hamburger( like sirloin), cottage cheese, eggs and broth if needed. If your pup can tolerate chicken boiled chicken is good too.They go on this until the stool is firm, then they are transitioned slowly ( over a 5-7 day period)back to kibble, as long as you don't think it's the kibble causing the diarrhea. With no medical reason ( parasites or bacteria) for the loose stools, I would have to question what he is eating.. So back to basics and add thing one at a time, over a period of days. Any loose stools, back off and try again. It is soooo trial and error with these guys!! Good luck!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor boy, a bland diet is cooked rice with some hamburger meat in it, or chicken if he is not allergic to chicken. Let us know how he is doing. Once his tummy gets a little better you can give a spoonful of plain yogurt and get some probiotics from your vet.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mary's response is right. You gotta get him on the bland diet now.

OP
Bentley64

Bentley64

Sep 17, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
How much do I give him..so I mix white rice hamburger and cottage cheese all together ?? I don't want to do chicken..scared he will end up getting allergies ..all ready have this heart murmur and now the poops don't want to add something else to the table ..

B

Baxter Tiberius

Keep it simple. @Bentley64

Just do the rice and the meat if you're concerned about adding potential irritants.

There's a remote chance that cottage cheese would agitate some lactose intolerance issues.

The rice and meat will be sufficient, and I bet you see an immediate (like immediate) cessation of poop explosions.

Chicken was 100% safe for Baxter. He tolerates it better than beef even. Each dog is different. But if you're worried, just get some ground beef, mix it with white rice, and you're set.

I would say 3/4 meat 1/4 rice. Easy weezy. :)

I also had amazing luck with mashed potatoes (no skin), but rice is def more often recommended from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I would get him Slippery Elm (health food store or online) it helps coat the gut
AND heals the irritation, it is well tolerated. Do you think meds for heart murmur
are causing this? Cut out all treats & kibble toppings and feed only bland diet.
Also buy pure pumpkin (not pie mix) add 1 TBSP to each meal to help firm poo.
Make sure he's drinking lots of water as he will dehydrate quickly if this continues.
Maybe add water to food mixture as well as keeping fresh water handy (give
distilled water right now) or give ice cubes if he likes them. Let us know how he does!

OP
Bentley64

Bentley64

Sep 17, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
I would get him Slippery Elm (health food store or online) it helps coat the gut
AND heals the irritation, it is well tolerated. Do you think meds for heart murmur
are causing this? Cut out all treats & kibble toppings and feed only bland diet.
Also buy pure pumpkin (not pie mix) add 1 TBSP to each meal to help firm poo.
Make sure he's drinking lots of water as he will dehydrate quickly if this continues.
Maybe add water to food mixture as well as keeping fresh water handy (give
distilled water right now) or give ice cubes if he likes them. Let us know how he does!
he is not on any meds for heart murmur..I have no idea what is going on..I do not feed him any treats or extras..I gave him rice this morning he looked at me like I was crazy..lol first time I seen him eat slow..lol still have him on meds for poops they are not helping..he was up all night pooping..I called the vet waiting for her to call me back..my poor babies butt is sore..

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Rocco was getting diarrhea when he was on Kirland Signature Chicken flavor (that's the brand the breeder had only she had them on beef and only chicken was available at Costco by me). Like as soon as the food flavor was switched the stool instantly was soft. Vet also gave me meds for deworming although test came back negative. We fed him rice and chicken for a few days and it did harden up. Once he started on that kibble again, it softened again. I think he cannot handle the chicken flavored kibble, because regular boiled chicken seemed to be fine for him. I switched him to Fromm's Beef Frittata about a month ago and have had no problems since.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
If he isn't eating the meat and rice, try adding some chicken or beef broth (organic, low sodium) to it so it has more flavoring. That is what we've been doing for years with our dogs.

However, I have heard canned pumpkin (not the pie filling type) help cures it within hours...

My bullie puppy just got a case of the poops too because he gobbled some of the big dog food and I actually read this article minutes ago:

http://raisinghealthydogs.com/discover-the-health-benefits-of-canned-pumpkin-for-dogs

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
When we had just got Castor he had tummy problems and our vet recommended small portions of round-grain rice cooked in plenty of water (so that you can serve some 'rice water' too) with some ground meat or chicken. That worked well here.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.