nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Hi All!

Last week we blessed our home with a new white English Bulldog pup! We love dogs with smushed faces and stubby tails (we have 2 other dogs: a Boston terrier/french bulldog and a Boston terrier/pug).

This little guy is such a clown but we're starting to notice something and wanted some advice. Curly is about 11 weeks now and whenever he drinks water he literally throws his face in the water. After he drinks, he comes up and is a sloppy mess so we have a towel at hand to dry him off. However, now we are starting to notice that his face is turning red under his jaw. We've been using filtered water so we were wondering if this is just a cause of him diving his face in the bowl of water (we're patting him dry and not rubbing).

We were initially using a big stainless steel water bowl and he would literally stand in the water but now we are using a smaller stainless steel bowl so only his mouth can fit it. However this doesn't solve the problem of him getting his whole mouth and under jaw area completely wet.

We do a 2x a day wrinkle cleaning for all dogs with unscented baby wipes and then dry off with a clean towel. I also started cleaning the bottom of Curly's face too just to make sure he stays clean.

We are feeding him Buffalo Blue Wilderness Puppy. Our Frenchie mix has food allergies so we are keeping them all grain-free, wheat-free, corn-free soy-free, etc.

So with all that said, is there anything else we should be doing to maintain his white furry face? I did search online and saw concoctions that can be mixed up left on fur for a few hours but he is only 11 weeks old so we don't want to do anything too harsh to him. Any advice, suggestions are very welcomed and appreciated!!

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Maybe just try the bigger bowl, he might be hitting his chin on the side of the smaller bowl. He may grow out of the gulping, but then again maybe not. I would just keep drying it like you are doing.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I preach antigulp bowls that is what we got Sheldon as a puppy because he was gulping so much and taking so much air in it was causing him discomfort so we bought the medium antigulp bowl and never had a problem after that.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=9956]nubonics[/MENTION] I agree with David that and when you do the wrinkle clean once a day use Duoxo pads inside his wrinkles and on his chin, they're on Amazon and for a great price. Witch hazel is good to have on hand too it drys the area after you put it on his chin, just dont get it in his mouth.

I LOVE that name!! Curly is one of my all time faves for a Bully!

:welcome:

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Thanks for the reply! But it's definitely not bruising. His scruff hanging around his neck is also turning pink/red. here's a picture which of course helps my explanation :)

image.jpg

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Thanks! I was looking at Duoxo pads on Amazon. Do you or have you heard of people using them on a puppy? I just don't want to end up damaging his fur or skin by using it on him too young.

Have you ever seen anti-gulping bowls made of stainless steel? I haven't seen any around but I probably haven't looked hard enough. Because of our other dog's allergies we are trying to stick with stainless steel bowls.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
@nubonics I agree with David that and when you do the wrinkle clean once a day use Duoxo pads inside his wrinkles and on his chin, they're on Amazon and for a great price. Witch hazel is good to have on hand too it drys the area after you put it on his chin, just dont get it in his mouth.

I LOVE that name!! Curly is one of my all time faves for a Bully!

:welcome:

Thank you! Since he is our 3rd dog and a goof we thought that Curly would be appropriate.

hmoon

Sep 23, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sugar Foot a.k.a Chelsea Rogers
well i had a similar problem with my solid white puppy , as she began with the same signs as your baby , and lo-and-behold , after being in bed with a back injury from picking sugarfoot up quickly and , any way , i finally took her to vet , as her red marks began to ooze and then became infected. the vet treated her aggressively , and said i need to do same . he gave her antibiotics , sray medicine , , shaved her under her mouth , and neck , he couldn't put a cone on , her neck is too saggy , so after diligently following his instructions , Malaket wipes , Malaket shampoo , and then she was fine ...in about 3 days ..i must say it was scary to see her return to room from her shaving , and it's been fine since . i bought her raised steel bowls , cuz she is a ' water-monger ' seriously ...gallons and pes gallons. she would sometimes just lay in her pee to get liquid . i had no idea . but i'm learning as i go. the one thing he did say was , after many instructions, "she's a white dog too" must be very careful with her. I thought if i let her outside to lay on the warm , or hot here in vegas , that she would dry up ...vet said "Oh noooo" not good , bacteria , and other pathogens etc. ...needless to say , i don't let her outside , who knows whats in this backyard , and i can't risk that again. but they do sell these Malaket wipes and shampoos at pet stores. and i do everything i can , high maintainence is an understatement. and i don't let the 8 year old pit bull lick her ..God only knows where his mouth has been ...seriously ..he eats bugs , and any other thing he can find in the rocks cape backyard. I hope this helps. i have been very careful to wipe her with alcohol-free wipes , shea butter , from walmart , when i'm out of Malaket . i go to great lengths to keep her as clean , and help her clean herself , she can't reach her cooch all in the crevices yet ...and yes i wipe her when she pees. toilet paper is convenient when she follows me in BR. I have heard it said , " if English Bulldogs could walk around with toilet paper and perfume , they would ' Tee Heee...don't worry , the love in you for your baby is good and will bring the care she needs. I'm still learning too.:whew:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks! I was looking at Duoxo pads on Amazon. Do you or have you heard of people using them on a puppy? I just don't want to end up damaging his fur or skin by using it on him too young.

Have you ever seen anti-gulping bowls made of stainless steel? I haven't seen any around but I probably haven't looked hard enough. Because of our other dog's allergies we are trying to stick with stainless steel bowls.

Yes Buster was actually was given them by his doctor when he was a wee tike. haha!! Those pictures of him on your avatar is adorable!!!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
a mixture of white vinegar and water will whiten the fur. I rinse my dogs in it after a bath.

Erinbarin

May 3, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasper, 4 & Penelope, 1
Thanks for the reply! But it's definitely not bruising. His scruff hanging around his neck is also turning pink/red. here's a picture which of course helps my explanation :)

View attachment 56397
Anti-gulp bowl or anti-gulp "slowdown" ball. Both of my babies were gulpers, and both have grown out of it. We switched to ceramic bowls too...

hmoon

Sep 23, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sugar Foot a.k.a Chelsea Rogers
Thanks for that tip ...awesome walking pic ...i thinkz me wouuld b dragged down the street ..Teee Heee

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Thanks for the advice everyone! I went onto Amazon and purchased dourox and a stainless still anti-gulp bowl. The little guy doesn't have any digestive issues from drinking water too fast (yet) but he does belch very very loudly so we'll be safe than sorry! I'll keep you posted...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online