ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

GET UK LIFESTYLE NEWSLETTERS

This week's fine specimen of a dog who deserves some praise is Barney. He is a six-year-old English bulldog who was originally named Tyson!Barney is a second hand dog, in fact he is fifth hand as he had four homes plus the rehoming centre before he found his long term home. Barney was in the rehoming centre because his varying owners felt he was overly boisterous, too humpy, aggressive and had growled at one of their children. Please bear in mind that one of the children had been kicking him at the time. He has also been physically beaten by hand, we quickly worked this out with some exhibitions of behaviour.
2013-09-15-DSC_3145.jpg

He is a classic case of owners taking on a dog that was wrong for their lifestyles. They all seemed to think that they were going to be taking on a dog that was lazy. In fact they had a dog that loved to play, run, be exercised and be entertained. He also was a dog that knew how to use his size to get attention. Which is where the humping behaviour came in, he wasn't doing it because of his hormones, it was merely a particularly effective way in gaining attention. Imagine a huge bulldog starts grabbing onto yours or your child's legs and humping! You aren't going to be able to ignore it.
His new owners have done a brilliant job of removing all of the unwanted behaviour and rewarding all of the brilliant things he does. He is truly the happiest, most enthusiastic dog you could ever wish to meet. Especially when you take into consideration what he has been through, he adores respectful children, loves squeaky tennis balls and will happily walk for a couple of hours each day.Barney is my dog of the week because I'm so proud of how far he has come and he proves that his owners were right to take him out of the kennels. It illustrates perfectly what the wrong home and wrong people can do to a dog. It is all about choosing the right dog, the right breed and the right temperament for your situation. And if you have kids who are allowed to kick a dog, then you shouldn't have a dog in the first place.

Follow Louise Glazebrook on Twitter: www.twitter.com/darlingdog

Last edited by a moderator:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I totally agree, if you're going to get a dog, you need to do your homework, and plan to spend the time, money, and attention the pet needs, they deserve to be loved, taken care if, and treated like they are a member of the family. Too many people get that cute little puppy, then once they're grown up and not that cute little puppy anymore, the novelty wears off. Then the excuses start, oh I'm allergic to the dog, or I don't have the time that my dog deserves, ( did you not know these things before getting a dog?), or the poor dog gets banished to the backyard, and tied up, or left in a doghouse. These defenceless animals are left there in the elements, sun, heat, rain, or cold, and lonely. Pets need human contact, and love.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I totally agree, if you're going to get a dog, you need to do your homework, and plan to spend the time, money, and attention the pet needs, they deserve to be loved, taken care if, and treated like they are a member of the family. Too many people get that cute little puppy, then once they're grown up and not that cute little puppy anymore, the novelty wears off. Then the excuses start, oh I'm allergic to the dog, or I don't have the time that my dog deserves, ( did you not know these things before getting a dog?), or the poor dog gets banished to the backyard, and tied up, or left in a doghouse. These defenceless animals are left there in the elements, sun, heat, rain, or cold, and lonely. Pets need human contact, and love.

Amen! I did a ton of research before I got Dudley. Yes, he loves to lay around and nap (don't we all), but at other times -- just like people -- he wants to play and run and jump and chase the frisbee. Dogs need attention and love. Ahem...just like people. Kick an animal...that noise you heard was my mother turning over in her grave. NEVER...EVER...would you kick a small child trying to get your attention?!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a great looking boy too.... so glad he got the right home!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well put, people don't do their homework enough before getting a bully and to let your child kick a dog is just unacceptable. Poor boy, I'm so happy he has finally found a kind and loving fur-ever home. He is gorgeous, and deserves a life of love and happiness.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Very glad he found his forever home! I did tons of research before choosing this breed, 5 yeas worth ( Although I must admit before I knew much about them I became interested in them because of their looks) but I did find he would be a good fit in my lifestyle. I couldn't imagine ever mistreating him or neglecting him. And nothing puts a bigger smile on my face then when I get home and let him out of his crate to see how excited he gets shaking his butt all over the place!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Agreed , people lately buy a dog cos they like the look of "it",or there is a certain breed "in fashion"
Bulldogs are not the best dogs for a first time dog owners ,that is for sure
Before getting any breed of a dog people should research the breed ,read maybe few book about what to expect from a puppy -i believe that if it wasn't for dog or breed related forums more dogs would end up in shelter
After christmas our dog shelters are full of "full breed " as well as mixed breed puppies as suddenly novelty worn off , puppy is aggressive and bites or "its stupid as he pee everywhere" -that is just a few of excuses people give
Before getting any animal please research first
Not every dog can fit with your lifestyle -just because it looks cute ,it shouldn't be a reason to buy or adopt one
Poor excuses and lack of research always grips me
In UK there is a saying "a dog is for life not just for christmas"
Xxxx

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.