Moral question here

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
Ive always loved bulldogs and I love my Maggie so much! I want more bulldogs in the future. But I can't help but feel guilty partaking in the breeding of dogs with so many health issues. We all know the controversy with purebred dogs and how some people think it's cruel to breed an animal so much that it develops health defects. I wanted to get the opinions of fellow bulldog lovers and see if anyone struggles with the same guilt as I do. If not why? No judgement here, just want some honest answers. Maybe talk me out of my guilt.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I understand your feelings, I struggled for a long time just for knowing so many needed homes. Different reason completely, but I did go through a two year struggle myself.

My bulldogs are very healthy, rarely visit the vet, probably less than most other pet owners of different breeds do. Just because they are bulldogs does not brand them for a life of health issues. Good breeding and proper home and care is where it begins. Heck I rarely even give mine a benedryl.

But I have been victim of unhealthy bulldogs in the past so I also know how hard it is to see them so miserable. You would do anything to help them.

So I know how you feel, because no matter how good of a breeder you are there will be occasional health issues that happen and it's very sad and heartbreaking to go through that too. :cry:

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Ive always loved bulldogs and I love my Maggie so much! I want more bulldogs in the future. But I can't help but feel guilty partaking in the breeding of dogs with so many health issues. We all know the controversy with purebred dogs and how some people think it's cruel to breed an animal so much that it develops health defects. I wanted to get the opinions of fellow bulldog lovers and see if anyone struggles with the same guilt as I do. If not why? No judgement here, just want some honest answers. Maybe talk me out of my guilt.

:) I use to feel exactly like you, Then through EBD News Forums, I've been so delighted to talk to and understand some of the best breeders in the USA, There are guys & ladies, right here on our forum that astonish me. They breed specifically for the health of this breed. This is a fact I'm sure you probably didn't know. You don't here their names, or businesses in an open forum, but you hear them chime in, all the time on posts. I'm proud to know these guys, and in knowing them, I often Tag them to posts, when I see the post going Arye, knowing they will have some input into a thread, to say something better than I, or simply because they know so much more than I do. These people, who work behind the scenes in making this forum what it is, NEVER advertise for their business, and always are working hard behind the curtains to better the breed. These guys are also my 911 folks to go to when I have problems with my bullies or questions. You have to remember knowledge is power, and in the backdrop of this forum are some really great people, who constantly promote this breed of animal, which in every post they make, or every thread they follow, You can be sure their adding a wealth of experience, knowledge, and information out their for all to read. Just as I see these guys working behind the scenes, I also see others who thing you just throw two bullies together, mate them and sell the puppies. The guys i'm talking about wouldn't be caught dead selling their puppies to people like this, They look solely to the responsible owner, and one more thing, These great breeders I have in mind, when they do sell a Bully Pup, will OFTEN install in the paperwork, Breeding clauses of their lineage, Those are some of the things they do to better the breed, many owners think they do that to eliminate their competition, Thats so far from the truth, They do it to personally monitor the success of the breed getting better, and also to keep just anyone and everyone from getting two bully's putting them together for $$$$$ purposes. The more you know, read and understand about this forum, The more proud you become of those great people who work tirelessly behind the scenes to promote and better this breed. The biggest thing to learn at this point is, everything has a start, and if you haven't looked around the web much, you will be glad to know this forum is the best, the most active, and has the breeders behind the scenes constantly working hard to better this breed :) The more you know, the prouder you become for being associated with such a prestigious web site, Although anyone can join, you can't help but benefit from the information from this site. Everyday, I learn something new, that benefits Rocky and Rambo. The second Fact, You never see any of these Prestigious Breeders advertise on this forum or any other, Getting a puppy from one of these guys is a celebration all within itself. I'm glad you asked this question, which opened the door for a response of what we actually have here……. I'm VERY PROUD to be associated with EBN…. and every time I talk to breeders who are just interested in the $$$ and not the breed, I thanks the good Lord, I found this site, and all of its members, !!! Hope this helps, and again, just as the Breeders don't advertise, you'll also notice, I haven't thrown any names at there to you, and you'll also notice none of them will tell you either, Their here strictly for the love of the breed, You've got to be proud of all these great people. :) I know I am!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
There are the reputable breeders out there that try to breed the best bully they can, but the bad gene will pop up from time to time and you will get a pup with a few health issues, it happens to ten best of us. But there are also the back yard breeder that just throws two bullies together with no regard to their lineage and then they get more unhealthy and ugly bullies, and these are the ones that usually end up in a rescue. If you want another bully, then please do get one, If you have reservations on getting a pup from a breeder, then get a rescue. There are some great bullies in rescue that so deserves a good fur-ever home.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
After everything we have gone through so far with Loki seasonal allergies, food allergies, seizures and anxiety as awesome of a boy that he is we will not look to get another bully. He has so much personality he truly is like having a child and has taught us so much that has helped us grow as parents and people in general. our breeder has been great and even the "grandparents" of Loki has/have been really supportive to us. But like we say if one shows up and finds us for whatever reason we wouldn't say no.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I wanted a bulldog for 25 years. I was a consultant and traveled too much...so I waited and read. I almost didn't get a bully because of everything I read. I tried to do rescue. I applied, never heard anything -- my guess is that I was too big of a risk, because I'd never had a bully...in fact, I'd never had a dog as an adult, on my own. So I got Dudley from a breeder. Except for an issue with Lepto, he's been extraordinarily healthy. He doesn't have the issues many other bullies seem to have. According to the breeder, his mother and father were very healthy and had no issues. He will be 3 in December...I know it could all change tomorrow. I think there are some very responsible breeders who know what they are doing. Who are trying to preserve the bulldog...and not breed for extra large heads because they are "cute", or "miniatures" because people want them small. There are breeders out there who are working to ensure that we can enjoy the sweet, wonderful babies our bullies are...it's a tough decision, but when I look at Dudley...I would do it again. I love him, and someday, there might be another bully who will bring a different kind of light into my life!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I completely understand how you feel and have these feelings too.

My son dated a girl for 3 years and that was our first introduction to bullies.

You couldn't help but love Bruzer, he was incredibly handsome but it was his
personality that got you!

I begin researching bullies but was quickly turned off by so much suffering by
this wonderful breed and when I first kept Bruzer for a couple of weeks while
Krista visited Chicago, I became worried over his breathing and then about 5
days into keeping him, started crying over him. Bruzer was healthy until he was
almost 4 y/o then developed severe allergies, crystals in his urine, etc. It was
a constant round of vet visits, medicines & special foods. I gave up my dream of
a bully puppy, too heartbreaking I thought. Then I got a call about a male bully
needing a home. I drove 6 hrs to see him and my heart was his...Brutus got in my
truck and went home like he'd always lived there, with me :) He was around 4 and
been thru several homes, no fault of his just stupid people, no time for his needs.
I had become a member of EBN to help me understand his needs and when I lost
Brutus, I posted here and 2 months later got a call from
@Davidh
about a 5 y/o
female needing a home. My son drove 5 hrs to pick Cami up and she's been with us
6 months now and we are all so happy!

For me, rescuing or adopting a bully needing a home feels right and will always be
my choice.

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
:) I use to feel exactly like you, Then through EBD News Forums, I've been so delighted to talk to and understand some of the best breeders in the USA, There are guys & ladies, right here on our forum that astonish me. They breed specifically for the health of this breed. This is a fact I'm sure you probably didn't know. You don't here their names, or businesses in an open forum, but you hear them chime in, all the time on posts. I'm proud to know these guys, and in knowing them, I often Tag them to posts, when I see the post going Arye, knowing they will have some input into a thread, to say something better than I, or simply because they know so much more than I do. These people, who work behind the scenes in making this forum what it is, NEVER advertise for their business, and always are working hard behind the curtains to better the breed. These guys are also my 911 folks to go to when I have problems with my bullies or questions. You have to remember knowledge is power, and in the backdrop of this forum are some really great people, who constantly promote this breed of animal, which in every post they make, or every thread they follow, You can be sure their adding a wealth of experience, knowledge, and information out their for all to read. Just as I see these guys working behind the scenes, I also see others who thing you just throw two bullies together, mate them and sell the puppies. The guys i'm talking about wouldn't be caught dead selling their puppies to people like this, They look solely to the responsible owner, and one more thing, These great breeders I have in mind, when they do sell a Bully Pup, will OFTEN install in the paperwork, Breeding clauses of their lineage, Those are some of the things they do to better the breed, many owners think they do that to eliminate their competition, Thats so far from the truth, They do it to personally monitor the success of the breed getting better, and also to keep just anyone and everyone from getting two bully's putting them together for $$$$$ purposes. The more you know, read and understand about this forum, The more proud you become of those great people who work tirelessly behind the scenes to promote and better this breed. The biggest thing to learn at this point is, everything has a start, and if you haven't looked around the web much, you will be glad to know this forum is the best, the most active, and has the breeders behind the scenes constantly working hard to better this breed :) The more you know, the prouder you become for being associated with such a prestigious web site, Although anyone can join, you can't help but benefit from the information from this site. Everyday, I learn something new, that benefits Rocky and Rambo. The second Fact, You never see any of these Prestigious Breeders advertise on this forum or any other, Getting a puppy from one of these guys is a celebration all within itself. I'm glad you asked this question, which opened the door for a response of what we actually have here……. I'm VERY PROUD to be associated with EBN…. and every time I talk to breeders who are just interested in the $$$ and not the breed, I thanks the good Lord, I found this site, and all of its members, !!! Hope this helps, and again, just as the Breeders don't advertise, you'll also notice, I haven't thrown any names at there to you, and you'll also notice none of them will tell you either, Their here strictly for the love of the breed, You've got to be proud of all these great people. :) I know I am!!!

agree :)

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Ruthie is our first bulldog and I'm telling you, despite all the problems, I will NEVER have another breed of dog. I've grown up with golden retrievers and German shepherds and I now am officially a bulldog owner for life. I have fallen for this breed. There is NOTHING like a bulldog. When we were first looking for a dog, husband wanted a bulldog so I made him read a book about them. He then decided he wanted to rescue one and we found Ruthie and could not be happier. I know I would feel guilty getting a dog from a breeder instead of rescuing because there are so many dogs out there in need. I do think breeding is ok when it's done right and not just for the money and unfortunately you see that too many times. I know now, I feel it's my job to educate people on bulldogs when people ask me about them because too often people want one for all the wrong reasons and don't know what they are getting into. I know I wasn't prepared but I wouldn't change a thing and now that I know, I'd have a whole pack of them, problems and all!!!!

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Ruthie is our first bulldog and I'm telling you, despite all the problems, I will NEVER have another breed of dog. I've grown up with golden retrievers and German shepherds and I now am officially a bulldog owner for life. I have fallen for this breed. There is NOTHING like a bulldog. When we were first looking for a dog, husband wanted a bulldog so I made him read a book about them. He then decided he wanted to rescue one and we found Ruthie and could not be happier. I know I would feel guilty getting a dog from a breeder instead of rescuing because there are so many dogs out there in need. I do think breeding is ok when it's done right and not just for the money and unfortunately you see that too many times. I know now, I feel it's my job to educate people on bulldogs when people ask me about them because too often people want one for all the wrong reasons and don't know what they are getting into. I know I wasn't prepared but I wouldn't change a thing and now that I know, I'd have a whole pack of them, problems and all!!!!

I agree as Rocco is my first Bullie and I will never get another breed. I wanted a bulldog for about 5 years now and I did so much research on them and knew what I was getting myself into. I am 27 now so before my girlfriend and I get married and potentially have children (God willing) I am happy to have gotten Rocco as an 8 week old pup and put in all the time and effort that comes with puppyhood and really enjoy the experience. He is definitely a handful! But well worth it! I definitely feel in the future rescuing will be the way I go especially if we have children by then.

Last edited:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Ruggles is Bulldog number 6 for me and he is my last EB. He will be 7 in Jan. and is the healthiest (so far). We have never had a Bulldog live to 10, 1 almost made it. In search of a healthier Bulldog I discovered Olde English Bulldogges and was sold. They live to 10-14, and do have bigger trachea and nares so they don't have the breathing problems but they are more likely to have hip problems. So breeding OEBs with certified hips is important. I found a breeder about 4 hrs. away and waited....and waited....none of the bitches got pregnant! So the breeder I was working with bought a litter of pups from her neighbor who got her foundation dogs from my breeder. When the pups were 12 days old we looked at them and picked out Buster, the only brindle boy! We picked him up in Feb., just 1 day before he was 8 weeks old. Turns out the litter was fathered by the Frenchie stud instead of the OEB. So we have a halfie and I couldn't love him more! I'm 71 and like the smaller size of the Frenchie (65 lb. Ruggles is a lap dog,too). I'll probably never get another halfie because reputable breeders don't breed that way, but my next dog will be a Frenchie!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Well..we have had many..many different breeds..I agree Bully's are like no other...but I will always have a pound pup too. Well, not really a PUP...but having rescued many full grown dogs of different breeds and mixed breeds, they hold a very special place in our hearts. We really want another Rottie and since rescues and shelters are full of them..I'm thinking we will save a life.

[QUOTE =JAKEISGREAT;406362]I've found many breeders still breed even when their pups have "issues". That is what is written here many many times. No way do these slimy breeders NOT know their lines carry certain defects. That is the down side for sure.

And this is why Bulldogs don't live long enough and can be such heart breakers!

I tried to just quote the 2nd paragraph, another thing I haven't mastered!

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Petunia is my second bulldog. I would love to have another one but I think the soon-to-be-hubby is leaning more towards Frenchies next time around. I LOVE bulldogs, though. It was my ex who wanted them and I thought they were 'dumb' dogs but as soon as we got Samson my heart was his and his was mine...Petunia was a gift from my ex for Christmas 4 years later. I almost got a different female in her litter but she was the one that won out. My ex wanted to breed Samson and Petunia and I was like: I have NO idea about breeding and Samson had bad hip dysplasia and I didn't want to breed puppies that could inherit that problem. Then to top it off, when Petunia went into heat the second time, I noticed a pus looking discharge and she became so lethargic. Turned out she had pyometra (infection of the uterine lining) and to be immediately spayed or she could have died. My ex wanted the vet to do anything so she could be bred.

What a complete ***. He was willing to risk my baby girl for the sake of having puppies. We divorced shortly thereafter.

Anyhow, I see so many bully rescues that are in need of fur-ever homes and I would love to do that next time...I will need to wear down the new hubby though. LOL! Maybe I will do a EB rescue and a Frenchie rescue!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I completely understand how you feel and have these feelings too.

My son dated a girl for 3 years and that was our first introduction to bullies.

You couldn't help but love Bruzer, he was incredibly handsome but it was his
personality that got you!

I begin researching bullies but was quickly turned off by so much suffering by
this wonderful breed and when I first kept Bruzer for a couple of weeks while
Krista visited Chicago, I became worried over his breathing and then about 5
days into keeping him, started crying over him. Bruzer was healthy until he was
almost 4 y/o then developed severe allergies, crystals in his urine, etc. It was
a constant round of vet visits, medicines & special foods. I gave up my dream of
a bully puppy, too heartbreaking I thought. Then I got a call about a male bully
needing a home. I drove 6 hrs to see him and my heart was his...Brutus got in my
truck and went home like he'd always lived there, with me :) He was around 4 and
been thru several homes, no fault of his just stupid people, no time for his needs.
I had become a member of EBN to help me understand his needs and when I lost
Brutus, I posted here and 2 months later got a call from
@Davidh
about a 5 y/o
female needing a home. My son drove 5 hrs to pick Cami up and she's been with us
6 months now and we are all so happy!

For me, rescuing or adopting a bully needing a home feels right and will always be
my choice.
Bless you Carol.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Personally, my next bulldog will be rescue. I have become highly involved in it as of late and the need is overwhelming. Best of luck to you in whatever choice you make.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online