Real Name
    Alix
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Moral question here

Petunia is my second bulldog. I would love to have another one but I think the soon-to-be-hubby is leaning more towards Frenchies next time around. I LOVE bulldogs, though. It was my ex who wanted them and I thought they were 'dumb' dogs but as soon as we got Samson my heart was his and his was mine...Petunia was a gift from my ex for Christmas 4 years later. I almost got a different female in her litter but she was the one that won out. My ex wanted to breed Samson and Petunia and I was like: I have NO idea about breeding and Samson had bad hip dysplasia and I didn't want to breed puppies that could inherit that problem. Then to top it off, when Petunia went into heat the second time, I noticed a pus looking discharge and she became so lethargic. Turned out she had pyometra (infection of the uterine lining) and to be immediately spayed or she could have died. My ex wanted the vet to do anything so she could be bred.

What a complete ***. He was willing to risk my baby girl for the sake of having puppies. We divorced shortly thereafter.

Anyhow, I see so many bully rescues that are in need of fur-ever homes and I would love to do that next time...I will need to wear down the new hubby though. LOL! Maybe I will do a EB rescue and a Frenchie rescue!

RIP Samson el Torito and Petunia Belle
    May 20, 2000 - June 06, 2008 and November 16, 2004 - April 10, 2015

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    I completely understand how you feel and have these feelings too.

My son dated a girl for 3 years and that was our first introduction to bullies.

You couldn't help but love Bruzer, he was incredibly handsome but it was his
    personality that got you!

I begin researching bullies but was quickly turned off by so much suffering by
    this wonderful breed and when I first kept Bruzer for a couple of weeks while
    Krista visited Chicago, I became worried over his breathing and then about 5
    days into keeping him, started crying over him. Bruzer was healthy until he was
    almost 4 y/o then developed severe allergies, crystals in his urine, etc. It was
    a constant round of vet visits, medicines & special foods. I gave up my dream of
    a bully puppy, too heartbreaking I thought. Then I got a call about a male bully
    needing a home. I drove 6 hrs to see him and my heart was his...Brutus got in my
    truck and went home like he'd always lived there, with me He was around 4 and
    been thru several homes, no fault of his just stupid people, no time for his needs.
    I had become a member of EBN to help me understand his needs and when I lost
    Brutus, I posted here and 2 months later got a call from
    @Davidh
    about a 5 y/o
    female needing a home. My son drove 5 hrs to pick Cami up and she's been with us
    6 months now and we are all so happy!

For me, rescuing or adopting a bully needing a home feels right and will always be
    my choice.
    Bless you Carol.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Real Name
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

Personally, my next bulldog will be rescue. I have become highly involved in it as of late and the need is overwhelming. Best of luck to you in whatever choice you make.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I've had four bullies in my life ... Maggie, Daddy and Linus came to us as puppies even though Daddy was a rescue. And Bella was a foster bully .. that we failed at!!

My husband and I have both said that from now it is rescue bullies that we want. Apart from now being personally involved in a rescue and working daily to help rescue bulldogs in need .... I think I can honestly say I'm done with the whole puppy thing!!!

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I dont blame you! Puppy stage can be a nightmare! We wanted to adopt bully so much but bullies in our rescue couldn't be adopted with children under 10 and most didn't get on with other dogs ;-(
    I wish i could spay Lily ;-((( she will have her health tests done soon by the breeders ;-(
    Im praying she will fail!!
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

I really like the puppy stage and it is so much easier to blend a puppy into a family, but in my younger years I rescued 2 adult dogs. I would stand in line to adopt another breeder oops like Buster!

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

I hope my comments have not caused any pain, guilt or bad feelings to those
    of you that have chosen to buy bullies, especially puppies. There are so many
    advantages to getting a puppy and a great deal of fun...lots of work but fun
    and nothing like training a baby just like you want them to be and the pride
    from successful training & guiding them into a wonderful adult bully. I struggle
    with my desire to run out & get an adorable, fat, wrinkly & squishy baby every
    time I drool over the pics posted here...so hard to resist wanting one!

Enjoy the wonderful journey of looking for your dream puppy then bringing
    them home to pamper & love on...it's your right and your great privaledge to
    do so. I am just saying for me, once I got my 1st, Brutus and found I was his
    4th or 5th owner (that were known of) and found out what a wonderful dog
    he was and saw how much he had to give, it was unfathomable to me but it's
    apparent that so many great bullies wind up in shelters because people get
    them with no idea of their high maintence, special diets, special needs, quirky
    (irritating to some) behavior, no outdoors, etc so people tire of all the time,
    money & effort needed to maintain them...so abandon them!

For me, especially after joining here and reading so many posts and getting
    educated on the enormous need for homes, treatment & medical care for
    these abandoned bullies and having owned two of these awesome creatures,
    it's just my personal choice and not a judgement on anyone's choice.

Owning a bully, no matter how you choose to get one, is a blessing beyond
    words to describe the joy of being with them & sharing your home, heart &
    lives with them.

Being on EBN and sharing details of our lives with our bullies, the joys and the
    heartaches, is another blessing I give thanks to being able to do.

Thank you, all of you and GOD bless us and our beautiful, incredible bullies!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

I'm 71 and like the smaller size of the Frenchie (65 lb. Ruggles is a lap dog,too). I'll probably never get another halfie because reputable breeders don't breed that way, but my next dog will be a Frenchie![/QUOTE]

Alice, I'll be 59 in January and because of my health issues, I will probably rescue
    a Frenchie next because of being able to manage their smaller size, Cami is most
    likely my last EB too. Makes me very sad because my personal choice would be to
    always have a EB, wish I'd known how wonderful this breed is when younger.

Although, if I get lucky and marry a healthy, younger man than all bets are off, lol

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

Carol, I'll be praying for the healthy, younger man.....lol

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

We r looking for a puppy as we speak n my reasoning.......don't laugh!!!!!! If we bring a pup into our family I think porky will be able to play n teach the baby n kinda feel important like its her baby n she needs to take care of it n of course we would praise her for being a good big sister n looking out for the baby but if we brought an older bully in I think porky would think oh great I gotta share my toys n food lol maybe I think of her a little to much like a human lol
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

How about a rescue? they are the best I love all my kids more than anything but there is something special about Joey, it feels like we have a different kind of connection I love love LOVE bulldog puppies though so I've decided that at least 50% of my pack of kids will be rescues... and that's how I get over the guilt of buying a puppy And of course do the research and go for a breeder that treats the dogs good and cares about the breed
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Lily is first dog we bought ,rest of them where rescues ,we haven't had much of problems with dogs not getting on and we saved otherwise an unwanted dog ;-)
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads